Please allow me to introduce myself…

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

HD Archer

Please allow me to introduce myself…

Post by HD Archer »

Howdy folks, I’m a total newbie to the world of crossbows so be gentle if I ask dumb or redundant questions. Although new to crossbows, I’m not new to archery. I’ve been shooting compounds, recurves, and longbows for nearly 40 years and my bow arm shoulder has about had all it can take.
I recently bought a used BD360 that supposedly had shot about a dozen arrows and then put away. Tuning a crossbow seems to be limited to adjusting brace height, (unless I’m missing something) if so, please enlighten me. Even though I have some Diablo arrows, I’d like to build some of my own. Any recommendations on which bare shafts to buy? Does anyone use feather fletching or are vanes the only way to go? Can vinyl wraps be used or does the friction from rail contact damage them?
Im sure I’ll have more questions. Many thanks to the administrators for allowing me here and a chance to learn more about my Excalibur.

-Dave
xcaliber

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself…

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard! Adjusting brace height just keeps the bow in the sweet spot, and reduces harm to the limbs, etc. You will have to adjust your scope to line up the chevrons at various distances once you zero your 20 yard main reticle. As far as arrows go, Black Eagle Zombie Slayers are very good, and the wraps don't really seem to hinder speed in my opinion.
These are my hunting arrows for my Matrix 380.

[url=https://postimg.cc/VJPm3X03]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I’m a man of wealth and taste.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Boo

Post by Boo »

If everything is right, yes, brace height is the only tuning on the bow. But just as importantly, like in any archery game, the arrow is the other part of the tuning process. FOC and vanes are mostly at play because the arrow sits on a deck at launch so there is no spine to adjust for. Diablos are way too light in the front end so you are on the right track. Like Dan said, Black Eagle Arrow Zombies are good but I am of the opinion that if you maintain a reasonable FOC, the Black Eagle Executioners are great too. Wraps are ok but they are on for appearance reasons and depending on how fussy you are, some of the marks that you get might bother you. If it does, use the clear wrap over top of your wrap to slow down the marks. It's all good and fun!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Hi Dave,
if you have not already done so, check all screws to make sure they are tight. Some screws will loosen over time if you don't use loctite, i.e. if you shoot a lot.
Micro Bulldog 335
Micro 308 Short
BD 330
Woodstock 342 (Matrix)
Matrix 355 with 310 Riser
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Welcome to the forum HD. You came to the right place to ask questions. The guys here eat sleep and breathe Excalibur crossbows. And they really enjoy sharing their knowledge with us new guys.
Take care
Hatchet
Eck

Post by Eck »

Welcome aboard! We were all there once. There is a tremendous amount of crossbow knowledge shared on this forum.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
HD Archer

Post by HD Archer »

I greatly appreciate all the responses so far. I like that the BE Zombie Slayers are 25% stiffer than the Executioners although I’m not a fan of the gaudy graphics that adorn them. I am a fan of fairly heavy arrows and FOC in the 25% range. I have an ample supply of COC broadheads in the neighborhood of 175-200 grains, I expect I’ll end up with arrows totaling about 475-500 grain minimum. Are blazers the preferred vanes or is there something better? I’d also like to hear your opinions on using feathers as I have more than any one person should need in a lifetime.

-Dave
janesy

Post by janesy »

HD Archer wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:20 am
Howdy folks, I’m a total newbie to the world of crossbows so be gentle if I ask dumb or redundant questions. Although new to crossbows, I’m not new to archery. I’ve been shooting compounds, recurves, and longbows for nearly 40 years and my bow arm shoulder has about had all it can take.
I recently bought a used BD360 that supposedly had shot about a dozen arrows and then put away. Tuning a crossbow seems to be limited to adjusting brace height, (unless I’m missing something) if so, please enlighten me. Even though I have some Diablo arrows, I’d like to build some of my own. Any recommendations on which bare shafts to buy? Does anyone use feather fletching or are vanes the only way to go? Can vinyl wraps be used or does the friction from rail contact damage them?
Im sure I’ll have more questions. Many thanks to the administrators for allowing me here and a chance to learn more about my Excalibur.

-Dave
Good score! The BD360 was a great bow. Kind of an anomaly as it wasn't on their website, sold only as dealer models out of the US, often bare bow packages. Maybe else where But I only ever saw it down South Really got the Excal crossbow world talking when it rolled out.

They were unique in that not only were they on the rare side, but they were also the first model to come out wearing the Stryker stock. Which is a great stock in my opinion.
Welcome!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

You will get some different opinions. I like Blazers because they are super durable. I also have Silent Knights which while are possibly better at steering and lower in noise, the take zero abuse. The Blazers by contrast will take a pass through on a bag target and if wrinkled they straighten out with a bit of heat. I have a couple of different Bohning vanes and a couple of Vanetecs, but for my Excalibur, it's the Blazer. I have a couple of chopper and can make feathers if I want to, they are great for steering but I don't have the patience for taking care of them.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

HD Archer wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:19 pm
I greatly appreciate all the responses so far. I like that the BE Zombie Slayers are 25% stiffer than the Executioners although I’m not a fan of the gaudy graphics that adorn them. I am a fan of fairly heavy arrows and FOC in the 25% range. I have an ample supply of COC broadheads in the neighborhood of 175-200 grains, I expect I’ll end up with arrows totaling about 475-500 grain minimum. Are blazers the preferred vanes or is there something better? I’d also like to hear your opinions on using feathers as I have more than any one person should need in a lifetime.

-Dave
If you like heavy, high FOC arrows, scroll down a couple threads and check out Norms arrows. Double wall carbon zombies with all kinds of insert options.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome! If you don’t like the labels on the shafts just rub them down with some acetone and they will disappear
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Welcome to the Forum HD!! :wave:

The Folks on here are pretty good guys with lots of info!! Make yourself at home!!

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
HD Archer

Post by HD Archer »

janesy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:31 pm
HD Archer wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:19 pm

-Dave
If you like heavy, high FOC arrows, scroll down a couple threads and check out Norms arrows. Double wall carbon zombies with all kinds of insert options.
Very interesting read, thanks.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Welcome to a great forum of very knowledgeable group of people.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline