Crossbow silencing & other accessories

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crossbownewb440

Crossbow silencing & other accessories

Post by crossbownewb440 »

Good day. I have a few questions, so please excuse the condensed format.

I have the GRZ2, it shoots a bit slower compared to the other Excalibur models. So I'm considering silencing options, as the bolt will take some time to travel before hitting my target and I do not want to alert my prey, lest it moves and I end up wounding/grazing it as opposed to delivering a final blow. I would like to utilize a combination of Air Brakes Suppressors as well as R.E.D.S. Suppressors. Has anyone ever combined these methods? What was the end result, was it worth the $120 investment? I do not want to utilize the sound deadening system, as the video I saw it being demonstrated in, the crossbow was still pretty loud..

Second, will the aforementioned setup fit in my Xbow? My GRZ2 is a Matrix series model, and the R.E.D.S. Suppressors specify that it will NOT fit in the GRZ2, but then go on to list the GRZ2 in the Micro series crossbow models (link to the item https://excaliburcrossbow.com/accessories/reds-suppressors/ )

Third, does Excalibur have an email for customer inquiries such as this one, so I don't have to clutter up the hunting feed? lol sorry!
janesy

Re: Crossbow silencing & other accessories

Post by janesy »

You can email or call Excalibur. Their contact info is listed at the top of the forum somewhere, but right now they are absolutely swamped. Expects a slightly slower reply.
But don't hesitate to ask away, your not cluttering anything. Every single one of use started at new at some point.

To answer your questions, first, item #7008 is listed to fit the Griz. But I've never personally owned one.

To the meat and potatoes lol, your bow is not slow it just isn't fast. Since your bow is nearly indestructible, I would find an arrow weight between 375 and 400 that works best. That way you are still able to utilize what speed you have without loosing more. It will still blaze through any deer you put the crosshairs on in the right place.
Personally I use REDS and that's it. They do not effect speed at all, but do help to reduce some felt vibration to the shooter. But frankly by the time YOU notice the sound difference from REDS, that arrow is already in the dirt.
Area brakes definately make for a smoother bow, but I don't want weight. That's the only reason I do not use them.
Remember sound deadening is for the shooter not the deer.

crossbownewb440 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:38 am
Good day. I have a few questions, so please excuse the condensed format.

I have the GRZ2, it shoots a bit slower compared to the other Excalibur models. So I'm considering silencing options, as the bolt will take some time to travel before hitting my target and I do not want to alert my prey, lest it moves and I end up wounding/grazing it as opposed to delivering a final blow. I would like to utilize a combination of Air Brakes Suppressors as well as R.E.D.S. Suppressors. Has anyone ever combined these methods? What was the end result, was it worth the $120 investment? I do not want to utilize the sound deadening system, as the video I saw it being demonstrated in, the crossbow was still pretty loud..

Second, will the aforementioned setup fit in my Xbow? My GRZ2 is a Matrix series model, and the R.E.D.S. Suppressors specify that it will NOT fit in the GRZ2, but then go on to list the GRZ2 in the Micro series crossbow models (link to the item https://excaliburcrossbow.com/accessories/reds-suppressors/ )

Third, does Excalibur have an email for customer inquiries such as this one, so I don't have to clutter up the hunting feed? lol sorry!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

I forgot, after you have shot the bow a bunch and your developed a proper routine. Invest in a good relish string from one of the vendors in the trading post and that will also help calm the bow down some.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You will never make a crossbow quiet enough that a deer will not here it but shooting at relaxed deer the sound of the bow at reasonable yardage is not a issue.
I only use the string stops it helps some with settling the vibration after a shot so you can see the results.
Anything put on the string cost speed.
The other devices will all help a very small amount but I would rather put my money elsewhere.
Nothing wrong in making you bow as quite as you can for yourself.
I do wrap my stirrup in rubber it protects and perhaps damping some noise , and a piece of heat shrink tubing an the arrow retainer is all I do.
Ask all the questions you like here that is what the sight does best.
Congratulations on your new bow you will love it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I own and shoot a Micro Suppessor. Supposed to be the "quietest" crossbow Excalibur makes. News flash!! It's still LOUD!! :eusa-doh: :lol:
Recurves are just that, loud. The R.E.D.S. help with the string vibration. Air brakes...well..the jury is still out on that one. The X-shoks...forget those completely.
Upgrade your string to a GOOD Flemish made by Boo are someone of your choosing from here on the Forum. Shoot arrow/bolt combo's near the 400g mark and kill all the deer, black bear or whatever you want to pursue with that bow. It will do the job as long as you do your's!

When I switched to the Micro series back in 2017, it changed my hunting style a lot. It's all I shoot these days. :thumbup: The bow is easier to move about inside a ground blind or pop-up. Doesn't take up space and 'hides" rather well in a tree stand. I think that once you get accustomed to that bow, it will become the favorite tool in your arsenal.

Just the rambling views of an old East Texas Redneck.
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I personally don't own a GRZ2, but have helped 3 guys that have one each. I feel my micro and BD400 really need REDS.... but these GRZ2's definitely do not. They are just so smooth as-is. Certainly would hurt to add REDS, but I'd say they are one of if not the only Excal that really doesn't need them.

Just like the others have said, shoot 375 to 400 gr total arrow weight and you'll zip through anything you point it at. Aim for the heart and if the deer drops a little from the sound you'll zip through the lungs.

Watch how fast Rich's get to the deer, his Axiom is rated same speed as the GRZ2 and definitely louder.

https://youtu.be/i8QYsxRdkzM
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360