Arrow and fletching info needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hatchet

Arrow and fletching info needed

Post by Hatchet »

What kind of arrow build would I need to get good flight with x-large 2 blade fixed heads. I purchased some Simmons Treeshark broadheads this spring and planned on using them for turkey hunting with my Lil'Bd. It has the same power stroke as a 308 Short. The heads weigh around 180 grains and are over a 2" cut. I tried them on several different arrows and could not get them to be as accurate as I would like for turkey hunting. I would like to build my first set of arrows this winter and wondered if you guys could give me an idea where to start. I have all winter to sort this out and collect the equipment and materials needed.

Arrow shaft and length
Fletching choices
Insert weight

I tried these heads on Wyvern Dragon Claws, ZS built by Wyvern, and Easton 2219 crossbow bolts. Arrow lengths from 16-20 inches. I think the helical Blazers on my Wyvern arrows helped accuracy the most. Is there another vane that would offer more steering? Is my FOC too much with brass inserts and 180grn broadhead? Should I just give up on this idea and take up knitting or basket weaving?😁

Many thanks guys and as always any advice is much appreciated.
Hatchet
HD Archer

Re: Arrow and fletching info needed

Post by HD Archer »

I’ll be interested in the advice given on this one. I plan on a very similar setup for my BD360, helical fletched blazers on BE ZS and 175 grain Simmons Swampsharks (1 5/8” cut).
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I build my own and have found that squaring front and back ends of the shaft and then squaring the front and back inserts have made a big difference in bolt to bolt consistency.
I use an Arizona EZ fletch in helical with blazers and have good results..
Most people shoot carbon with brass inserts up front.
I like 2219 xx75 with a extra long front aluminum inserts and my 175 grain Slick trick up front.
The 175 gris no longer offered but you can get 150 gr x bow Slick Tricks and they are one of the best fixed heads out their.
My bolts for my Mag 340 are 16 in long, 2219, squared,
plastic rear nock, ex long aluminum front inserts , blazers ,175 grain head come in at 485 grains and fly awesome.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hatchet wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am
What kind of arrow build would I need to get good flight with x-large 2 blade fixed heads. I purchased some Simmons Treeshark broadheads this spring and planned on using them for turkey hunting with my Lil'Bd. It has the same power stroke as a 308 Short. The heads weigh around 180 grains and are over a 2" cut. I tried them on several different arrows and could not get them to be as accurate as I would like for turkey hunting. I would like to build my first set of arrows this winter and wondered if you guys could give me an idea where to start. I have all winter to sort this out and collect the equipment and materials needed.

Arrow shaft and length
Fletching choices
Insert weight

I tried these heads on Wyvern Dragon Claws, ZS built by Wyvern, and Easton 2219 crossbow bolts. Arrow lengths from 16-20 inches. I think the helical Blazers on my Wyvern arrows helped accuracy the most. Is there another vane that would offer more steering? Is my FOC too much with brass inserts and 180grn broadhead? Should I just give up on this idea and take up knitting or basket weaving?😁

Many thanks guys and as always any advice is much appreciated.
Hatchet
Have you spun the heads/arrows yet Corey?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

I can send you some 3.15" Swift HD VaneTec to try.
PM address and quality if you might want to try them out.
I'm having good success using them.
Might be a case of trial and error with a large cut fixed head.
Experimenting with a vane over 3" is a first good step.

Don't give up your basket weaving just yet :mrgreen:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Squaring the ends like mentioned will have the most impact given the vanes we’re not put on in the dark.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Squaring the ends like mentioned will have the most impact given the vanes we’re not put on in the dark.
Or installed by 5 yr olds. :mrgreen:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

So I'm going to order an arrow spinner and squaring tool for starters.

Any recommendations? Looking for something affordable that i will be able to get years of use out of.
Reviews on some of the spinners are not so good.
Thanks
Hatchet
Normous

Post by Normous »

Firenock APS - Arrow Preparation System.
Buy once and won't regret it.

Spins and squares.
Last edited by Normous on Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hatchet wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Any recommendations? Looking for something affordable that i will be able to get years of use out of.
Thanks
Hatchet
Do you, or are you going to cut your arrows to length? As far as that goes, I never hunt with an arrow that I have not shot. I square, build, and shoot.
Square tool is not an expensive one, AAE I think it is.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt is the one to use with Blazers and fixed broadheads. Make sure you align the broadheads.
https://youtu.be/__duPM7CfrA
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:36 pm
Hatchet wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Thanks
Hatchet
Do you, or are you going to cut your arrows to length? As far as that goes, I never hunt with an arrow that I have not shot. I square, build, and shoot.
Square tool is not an expensive one, AAE I think it is.
I was actually planning on buying spine indexed shafts cut to length Dan. What do you use for shafts and what do you use to cut them to length?

The rain stopped and I was able to go out and do some shooting this afternoon. About 10 minutes into my shooting session I developed another theory of where my occasional flyer was coming from.

I was shooting these heads into my 18-1 this spring and the target was taking a serious beating from a 2+ inch cut. I made up some cubes by putting squares of 2 inch foam insulation together. After hitting the bullseye a few times the broadhead would inevitably pass through the foam. I would unscrew the head, remove the arrow and reinstall the head. I didn't realize there was enough room inside the inserts for the head to be cocked to one side so far. An arrow spinner would have shown this immediately. I now know why a spinner is a necessity!

I shot the arrow and head 35 times this afternoon without removing the broadhead and....no more occasional flyer. I will continue this for a while but I think I have it figured out.

I ordered and arrow spinner and squaring tool. I am also going to get a "Bolt" fletching jig so I can repair some arrows with missing vanes and build some of my own arrows over the winter.

Thanks to all for the advice. I've been pondering this problem for a while and it really had me perplexed.
Take care
Hatchet
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use Zombie Slayers in .003” straightness at three different lengths currently. I’m using a Weston saw, works well I like Fusion Vanes over bare shafts or wraps. Lately been just using shrink on vane / wraps from NAP. I shoot lights out to forty yards. Norm makes outstanding precision arrows, way out of my league.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Same here dan .003 has been more accurate than me.
The factory zombie vanes simply never fail me but when they are damaged the nap boil ons are really good also.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I used Zombies .001.

I could most definitely get away with Executioners, but I stick with Zombies because I have so many and prefer to use the same arrow across all my bows. Don't really want to mix and match
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme