They know when season starts.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

They know when season starts.

Post by DuckHunt »

Last year was a tough year for me because we had no acorns. Zip, zilch, nothing. What few deer I saw were just passing through quickly because there wasn't food to hold them around.

This year, we've got a great acorn crop. I've seen deer every trip but one, and on that trip my game camera caught three bucks walking by my other stand not 100 yards away. :roll: They were there, I just chose the wrong stand that morning.

Well the last four days have proved to me that the game know when they are not in season.

While I was doe hunting in Northern VA back on Friday, this decent 8pt decided to spend a full hour within bow range. Photo taken looking under my Excalibur.
Here's a better view:

Then yesterday I was out for the early 3-day bear gun hunt. Mind you that it is still gun doe season as well. Archery season opens for all deer/turkey/bear on Saturday. For almost an hour I had a dozen turkey camped out in bow range. I say camped, because they were digging out spots and dusting themselves up good. Then taking a nice nap.
Ever see three turkeys in a pile?

About sunset I finally spotted a doe about 50 yards away. By the time I was able to confirm that she wasn't the 4" velvet covered spike I have running around, she got past me. I really didn't want to shoot her anyway with a gun as we haven't fired a gun on the property yet this season and I only brought one for the big bear I'm after.

Then about 10 minutes after sunset I caught movement of a doe about 60 yards behind me, then eventually another deer. It was also a 8pt buck, although smaller. Within a few minutes of seeing him he started downhill in my direction. He stopped briefly at around 15 yards and hung out for ten minutes. I began to wonder if I was going to have to run him off to go home.

Since last Friday, this makes four bucks, two I'd shoot, that I've had in bow range in addition to a flock of turkey. I have no reason but to believe that the bow season starting Saturday in Virginia will be an awesome year. The only issue I'll have is patience because three buck tags could go quickly if the deer continue to move like they have been. I'll set the bar at 8pt and above to buy some time. But what I'd really like is to get an opportunity at the big bear with my bow. :thumbup:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Re: They know when season starts.

Post by gerald strine »

It seams like that is how it always goes but it makes for a wonderful hunt anyway.
I hope you get your Bear and your big 8 point.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I can't wait for the right weather to get out. I'm legally in the woods Friday, but I'm walking out to double check two stands, and putting life lines on. Heck Yeah I'll be carrying a crossbow!

Looks great on your end!! :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ODH

Post by ODH »

Thats the reason we hunt. You didn't take anything home but you had an awesome time :thumbup:
grouse

Post by grouse »

Great pictures and great story. Three bucks is a generous limit, that gives you a lot of flexibility. I hate it when a deer I can't (or don't want to) shoot comes and hangs around when it's time to get down. I usually just wait until it gets pitch black dark and sneak off quietly. Good luck with that bear and those bucks!
axiom
350 SE
lituani

Post by lituani »

ODH wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:36 pm
Thats the reason we hunt. You didn't take anything home but you had an awesome time :thumbup:
x2

You've got a terrific spot for anything/everything you plan to hunt. Fantastic!

And - great job not getting busted! These warm autumn days make it hard to avoid sweating and giving yourself away.