Excalibur Matrix 380 issue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

884savage

Excalibur Matrix 380 issue

Post by 884savage »

Last year I noticed with broadheads that my arrows would dive violently into the ground about 10 yards out. I assumed it was a planing issue. I shot a few mechanicals and it seemed everything was okay. Now about 5/10 shots seem to fly out crazy and dive with field points, broadheads, mechanicals, whatever I shoot. It seems the string isn't making full contact with the knock, but I'm checking every time, and it always looks the same. One shot seems totally normal, and the next is WAY off and dives. One arrow flew about 100 fps sporadically. Someone else has had to have had this happen. What am I missing?
xcaliber

Re: Excalibur Matrix 380 issue

Post by xcaliber »

Your arrows are not squared on the rear.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I'm not saying you aren't right. I considered that myself. Why did all arrows start doing this all at once?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Okay, let's consider for a moment it's the bow. Is the scope mount loose, trigger screws? If it's the arrows, it's the tail end is not square. I know because I ran into this before. There may be other issues, the front of the bow is loose to the rail, the scope is junk, one limb is giving it up, etc. Have you shot these arrows before with great accuracy? Are these new, recently refletched, or cut down? New luminocks installed? I'm just rattling off possible causes, but if you are sure it's the arrows, find one that shoots good, and if it keeps shooting good, the nock ends are jacked.
884savage

Post by 884savage »

The nocks are messed up or the nock ends? I've shot these arrows for years and just recently begun having issues. I bought new strings last year at some point from a maker on here. I don't recall when I put the string on and when I began having issues.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Go over the fasteners on your bow then if you're sure the arrows are good. Could wind up being a loose trigger, or scope mount. Grab the scope and see if you can move it up and down.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Dumb question, but are you sure your seating your arrows all the way into the trigger latches?
884savage

Post by 884savage »

Everything is solid. I'm still stuck on the nocks. Were you implying i needed new nocks or that the arrows hadn't been cut squarely. Just curious as I try to trouble shoot the issue.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Is the arrow retainer holding the arrow tight to the string ?
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I know from experience that if the tail end of flat arrows is off just a bit, you'll have fits all day long.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

mr meat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:58 pm
Is the arrow retainer holding the arrow tight to the string ?
Dang good question!
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I've checked to see that I'm tight to the string. I noticed one nock has a slightly round spot where I likely hit it with another arrow while shooting at some point. Another has a tiny nick. I am going to start by getting new nocks. I'll see if I can make that happen tomorrow and post results.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nocks need to be 100% , dinged ones will give you problems. Frequently inspect your nocks, shafts, fletching, and points for damage.
If something is abnormal do not shoot it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
884savage

Post by 884savage »

So I went out and took a brand new arrow and a brand new nock. First shot hit bullseye. I hoped that was the problem. Next two shots the arrow practically left the crossbow sideways! I've ordered a new string. Everything was lined up correctly. String was flush against the nock. Everything looked and felt correct until the arrow launched sideways. They aren't just planing into the ground. They drop one shot and the next look like they flop left and right with no energy or speed. I'm fearful of shooting it. I'm afraid it's not catching the arrow well enough to prevent a near dry fire.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

By chance is your string sitting flat on the rail, or deck? Can you post pictures of the bow?