Need a new Headlamp - Recommendations?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Need a new Headlamp - Recommendations?

Post by nchunterkw »

My old Cabela's one seems to be going through batteries like crazy....so I'm looking for some thing new and bright.

What do you all recommend?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
CT.HNTR

Re: Need a new Headlamp - Recommendations?

Post by CT.HNTR »

I did a fair amount of research on headlamps last year. I have long pack in's and pack out's in the dark so battery life and dependability were my primary objectives. I ended up purchasing the Surefire Minimus and have been very satisfied with the performance. It's a bit pricing but dependability was paramount over cost.

Don

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Variable-Headlamp-MaxVision-Reflector/dp/B01N34RZCH
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

F E N I X.....Keith, check out their website.....amazing products.....you will never go back!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I grabbed two at Walmart several years ago from Energizer that have held up great and check all the boxes for me. Most important thing to do is remove batteries at the end of the season. JMHO
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:25 am
I grabbed two at Walmart several years ago from Energizer that have held up great and check all the boxes for me. Most important thing to do is remove batteries at the end of the season. JMHO
X 2 on the energizer,,,
and they won't make your wallet smoke :D

Dave :thumbup: :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Fenix HL18R lightweight rechargeable with flood and spotlight functions.

I have purchased 11 of these for myself , family , friends and neighbors. Everybody is extremely pleased with this headlamp.

Features very good battery life, tilt feature, compact and light weight . Also noting good unnoticeable and comfortable fit that doesn't slip.

Highly recommended and one I personally like and use.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Ankh

Post by Ankh »

Limited-time deal: Headlamp Flashlight, LHKNL 1100 Lumen Ultra-Light Bright LED Rechargeable Headlight with White Red Light, 2-PACK Waterproof Motion Sensor Head Lamp, 8 Modes for Outdoor Camping Running Cycling Fishing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D66HCXW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_CG1H6VD1SJBZPP5S5HDY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Got these rechargeable. Only used 3 times but very bright, red was perfect for entering woods in am, and was great for gutting due to ability to angle the light. I haven't tried the motion activated feature.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I've had a Petzl Brand, Tikka model for a few years and it is the best I have used. Batteries last a long time. Like all season. It is not the brightest light out there, but I don't want to light up the whole woods. Just enough to see what's in front of me and my gear.

I just looked on their website and they still have a tikka model, but it looks to have had some changes since I got mine, so I can't speak to them being actual improvements or not.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:25 am
My primary light when walking in is a small Energizer model that takes 3-AAA batteries. One set of batteries lasts me all season. I walk in on the lowest setting and prefer to use the red light option, though I've used white at times as well. It's not a deer tracking light though, just very small, convenient and inexpensive.

Prior to this season I picked up a Swiss Tech Wendung headlight at Walmart. It is LED, rechargeable with USB-C cable, 500 Lumens on high and even has a blacklight mode. Though I wouldn't buy it specifically for that mode to hunt arrows because the blacklight mode is rather dim. You'd have to be right near them to see them. There are better/brighter standalone blacklights. But the headlight itself is inexpensive and lightweight and holds a charge longer than I need it to.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Tech-LED-500-Lumens-Headlamp/166601990?athbdg=L1100
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I wear a Fenix HL 55 all day every day at work. It’s a tough workhorse! Variable brightness levels, tilts, it is a GREAT light! Get some 18650 rechargeable batteries and go do it. You won’t regret it.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:21 pm
I wear a Fenix HL 55 all day every day at work. It’s a tough workhorse! Variable brightness levels, tilts, it is a GREAT light! Get some 18650 rechargeable batteries and go do it. You won’t regret it.
…..all day, every day at work….

I’m sure everyone who has posted has offered his sincere opinion. However, can the views of the guy who uses his light this way be passed over?!

I second the 18650 battery and the Fenix brand, based on my modest experience.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

I'm also a big fan of Fenix flashlights! The HM 65R is a great headlamp.
Excalibur micro suppresser 400td, 16.5 inch zombie slayers, slik trik 150 gr. crossbow broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Thanks everyone. I bought a Fenix HM65R. Rechargeable, Spot and Flood lights and different brightness settings. Plus as a first time buyer I got 20% off...
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

That is a heck of a light Mate :thumbup:

I suggest running one or two discharge cycles at first to enhance battery performance.

In January 2021 I was privileged to talk to the CEO of Fenix at the Vegas SHOT show for 10 minutes. I have been loyal to that brand for over 10 years now because their light have never let me down, not even one time. I do take care of them which probably has something to do with my satisfaction.

Cheers on your excellent choice.!
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Keith,
I have a confession to make .
I have some sort of flashlight addiction and I just pulled the trigger on not one but two
FENIX HM65R-T headlamps. T is for Trailrunning.

You are a bad influence :mrgreen:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings