OT: Flint Knapping Art

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

OT: Flint Knapping Art

Post by IronNoggin »

I met a wonderful Flint Knapper in town.
Collected a couple of arrowheads from him, then had him custom made this knife.

Handle is Dall Sheep Horn, blade is Mahogany Obsidian. Blade is 4.5" by just over 2" at the deepest part. Overall 9" in length. Sinew binding between the blade and horn handle. Pictures actually don't do it justice - much better in person:

Arrowheads of Black Obsidian:

He does occasional custom work.
If interested pm and I'll pass along his contact information.

Rather Fine Work of Art IMO. Image
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
artifact

Re: OT: Flint Knapping Art

Post by artifact »

Beautiful!!!
If knapped correctly, I believe Obsidian can be sharper than a modern surgeons scalpel.
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

I have been teaching myself the art of flint knapping for several years. Mounted one of my heads on a homemade wooden arrow and tested it on a dense foam target 7in. penetration. My ultimate goal is to harvest a deer my homemade hickory bow and flint head arrow .
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

artifact wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:03 pm
Beautiful!!!
If knapped correctly, I believe Obsidian can be sharper than a modern surgeons scalpel.
Not just eye candy.
It is indeed RAZOR sharp!
I will update with more pictures once I get to skinning this year's whitetails with it...

Best of Luck in your pursuit Primitive One!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice work! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Sweet!! I shot longbows and recurves for years… still do on occasion. I also love looking over a plowed field for points!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I hunted a ranch out near Gatesville, in central Texas for many years. It was 4200 acres under a single fence. It had several large draws with lots of limestone outcroppings everywhere. I stumbled across a great place with a small spring fed creek. I found a pretty large cave in one of those limestone cliffs. A man my size (6'3") could easily stand up in it. In the cave I found a large stone grinding bowl, about a foot across and about 18 inches long. Thing weighs about 50 pounds. Guess it weighed too much to move when the folks decided to moved on.
It now sits on my patio by my smoker.

Above the cave on an outcropping I found a place when one or more "Knappers" worked. There was a large pile of flint chips and well as broken points and bleached out deer antler. From the looks of that area, it appeared they had been there awhile. The most common tribe in that area?
Commanche.

I have picked up several neat pieces over the years, but nothing rivaled my late Father-in-Law. The man had well over 10,000 artifacts. ALL of them "surface finds" from when he was a kid back in the late 1930's and early 1940's. The collection was split between family members at the time of his death. He had bowls, picks, awls, needles, stone axes and stone war clubs and of course points.
He had a guy offer him 4 grand for a single point and Jimmy turned him down. His "favorite" grandson, (my youngest boy) now has that point in a display case with others.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Cool stuff AJ!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

flinthead wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:27 pm
Cool stuff AJ!!
Times Two!

Would love to see a picture or ten... :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

IronNoggin wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:39 pm
flinthead wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:27 pm
Cool stuff AJ!!
Times Two!

Would love to see a picture or ten... :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
Give me a bit and I'll show some items! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:47 pm
Awesome!! :thumbup:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

IronNoggin wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:04 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:47 pm
Awesome!! :thumbup:

These are just a sampling of what I have laying around.
The large round looking object at the bottom is actually a fossil vertebrae from the tail section of some type of Spinosaurus.
I found this in Ladonia, Texas.

The club Head with the wear marks around the middle came from Oklahoma.
The large pestle, around Waco, Texas.
The axe head and scraper from near the Palo Duro Canyon in the Panhandle.
The points from all over Texas.
I probably have several hundred of these.

And then I have this item.

Which is actually a Mammoth Tooth!! :thumbup:

Been collecting this junk since I was a kid. This kind of stuff fascinates the hell out of me!!
Dont' know what my family will do with it all once I'm gone. It'll be their problem then!! :lol: :wink: :lol:

History.....gotta love it!! :thumbup:
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Wicked Stuff AJ!! Many Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

I share to some extent your fascination with all of that.
Don't have anywhere near the collection though.
But I do have some interesting artifacts from the Western Arctic - some going back to the time of the Pharaohs!

Cheers!
Nog
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Awesome pieces of history !
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

IronNoggin wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Wicked Stuff AJ!! Many Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

I share to some extent your fascination with all of that.
Don't have anywhere near the collection though.
But I do have some interesting artifacts from the Western Arctic - some going back to the time of the Pharaohs!

Cheers!
Nog

Matt...that is too cool!! I was fortunate enough many years ago to get to work on a Mammoth site here in Texas. They were Columbians, not Woolly's!!
But I'm sure most folks couldn't tell the 2 apart!! :lol: :lol:

I've always been fascinated by stuff the Inuits made. Man's early civilizations and their accomplishments are incredible!

Here are some more of my junk. The clay bowl was found broken and I pieced it back together.
The large water picture and covered bowl are made of pine needles. And yes, the water picture holds water. Those are Alabama-Coushatta made.
The lid on the bowl fits so tightly you almost have to pry it off!! :lol: :lol:

My Great Grandmother was raised on a reservation in Oklahome after being forced to move there as a little girl. She was of the Creek Nation. I'm sure that's where I get my love for this type of history.

Take Care My Friend!!
Happy Hunting!!
AJ