Last Hunt at the Zoo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Last Hunt at the Zoo

Post by racking up points »

I got the call that no Hunter wants to hear. “Derrick, I’m sorry but I had to sell the Zoo.” The best piece of land my Dad and I ever hunted was to be sold in two weeks time and we needed to remove our equipment; the new owner is not keen on hunting and plans to bulldoze most of the forest anyway.

“This place is a f#<€ing Zoo!”

We have called this place the Zoo since my first hunt here. I couldn’t believe all the animals I was seeing. It’s only 100 acres, mostly open farmland that is bordered with a thin strip of woods and is divided in half by a deep ravine. You’d never guess it was a hot spot, it doesn’t look like much, but it’s the hub at the centre of some very important but fragmented habitats so there’s a lot of animal traffic. In the midst of my first hunt here, I texted a friend, “This place is a f#<€ing Zoo!”

Dad and I decided that we needed to give the Zoo one last hunt before we removed our stands. Walking out to my favourite stand in the pitch black, I’ll admit was emotional. I’d had all of my best hunts here; my son and I shared our first kill here, my brother took his first deer here too. My Dad and I have made weekend excursions to the Zoo a fall ritual. I always knew the Zoo wasn’t mine, but it sure felt like home.

The Zoo Opens at 8:00am Sharp

I had a good feeling that today was going to be a good one. The temperature dipped below freezing for the first time this hunting season and we’d had a light rain earlier in the night. Rutting activity was heating up and Stand #3 is located on a well-defined scrape line. There was absolutely no wind. It was dead quiet. I settled into my stand and waited for first light. It didn’t take long for the action to begin.

At 8:00am, I could hear the steps of an animal in the deep puddles that surrounded my stand. I readied myself and trained my crosshairs on the shooting lane on my weak side. A huge, lone doe that I know has busted a half-dozen times, stepped out at 15 yards. Seeing as this was going to be our last hunt here, I couldn’t pass her up. At the impact, she turned herself inside out and made her way back to where she came from. I could hear her swan dive and thrash in the ankle deep water. She didn’t go far, (those Swat A4’s are devastating).

Time to Reload

At 8:15am, a hot and bothered doe zigged and zagged her way around my stand. I have heard that does will sometimes make scrapes and use licking branches but I’ve never witnessed it. She put on a nature show for me, made a few of these scrapes and proceeded on her way.

Not 5 minutes later, as fog dissipated from the sun which was now warming the frost on the forest floor, I caught the faintest movement about 100y away. It was followed by a large puff of warm, exhaled air that could’ve only come from a deer, a big one. I settled my bow and readied myself for the encounter. For a painstakingly long time, the buck slowly picked his way through the brush, and I mapped out all the possible routes that could take him to my lane. He was locked, I knew he was onto that hot doe and that he’d eventually have to pass through.

When he finally closed the distance, he stopped behind a wide tree and made a scrape. While he was obscured I made one last adjustment to my position and settled myself. “He just needs to take one more step,” I said to myself. And like he could hear my inner monologue, he did just that and under my facemask, I cracked a little smile. At 48 yards, he stepped into the lane but he immediately quartered hard to me and slowly raised his head. For what seemed like an eternity, I stared him down through my Leupold VXR Patrol and when he took his eyes off me and scanned the bush for that elusive, hot doe I squeezed the trigger and sent the arrow on its way. That familiar, satisfying thud was followed by an all-out death-run and the buck of my lifetime bounded away with his tail elevated.

I’ve always believed that you should take the first shot you’re confident in. For everyone, that’s a matter of ethics and practice. I’ve made this shot before. If you can slip an arrow tight to the clavicle and the neck at this angle, it’s incredibly effective, albeit with a very small margin for error. With that in mind, I waited an hour before looking for my arrow.

That Sickening Feeling

When I got down from the stand, predictably, due to the angle, I didn’t find any blood at the hit site and the arrow was nowhere to be found. “Did I miss?” I looked for another minute when suddenly I heard a branch crack and I scanned ahead to see a deer walking slowly with its tail up. A sickening feeling crept in. “Had I wounded this buck?” I backed out and I went for breakfast with Dad. I could hardly eat.

We started about the business of removing our old stands, furthest from the hit site. Around 1pm, the anticipation was killing us and we had gathered some reinforcements for our tracking job in the form of the good friends with whom we shared the Zoo. We started about the search, and it didn’t take long to find blood. Good blood. Lots of thick, frothy, foamy blood. “He couldn’t have gone far,” we all agreed. No sooner had we said that, I could peer the tall, bladed tines of the beast I was blessed to take. We ran ahead and found him tangled up in a deadfall that was just too much effort for him to get through.

I was elated and our whole crew celebrated the last hunt at our favourite property. Putting my hands on that awesome frame, I was awed by not only the deer’s heft, but the character of his rack; bladed, twisted tines and some junk near his bases. We weren’t leaving the Zoo empty handed. Quite to the contrary, we were loaded with meat.

The buck weighed 180 lbs with his hide, legs and head removed. The butcher said it was among the biggest deer he’s processed, ever. The doe, similarly dressed was a girthy 120 lbs. The Zookeeper feeds them well.

In our tracking, we learned there was no way my buck was the deer I’d bumped earlier when initially searching for my arrow because he never bedded down. He didn’t go much further than 60 yards and he covered that distance quickly.

Bittersweet

I’ll never forget this place and this hunt is one that I’ll re-tell to my kids and my grandkids someday, sitting around a fire at some new camp. I figured I would be able to raise my kids in the woods at the Zoo and teach them how to hunt. Now we will only hunt for land; it’s so hard to find in Southwestern Ontario. Plots like this one are exceedingly rare. While I did take my personal-best whitetail, I’d trade it all for a couple more years at the Zoo.

Last edited by racking up points on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Normous

Re: Last Hunt at the Zoo

Post by Normous »

Nice one buddy!
Always leaves a bad gut feeling when you loose a good property.
I might add that there are plenty of good woodlots near Glencoe Ontario and surrounding this region.
Hope your lucky and find another good property
For 22.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Normous wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:03 pm

I might add that there are plenty of good woodlots near Glencoe Ontario and surrounding this region. Hope your lucky and find another good property For 22.
Thanks buddy! We are already on it but you know how it goes up there. Landowners hunt the land themselves or they have groups using it. That’s at least what I’ve found. We go door to door, three Generations of Laporte’s (father, son, and grandson), with bags of walleye fillets and packs of 14” zip-ties as introductory gifts too. No luck yet.
Last edited by racking up points on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Great tick toter n congrats on your double
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Bummer on the Zoo, but awesome buck! Congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on a great buck and the doe Hope you find a new spot soon
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats on a super last hunt! You won't forget that place!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Awesome way to end a chapter...
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Excellent story and a monster buck! Congratulations.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Sorry to hear about the land...but what a nice deer!!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You have some fine memories - - a successful hunt, and with the inclusion of your family. Hopefully you will find another good spot, and you will have a fine standard by which to measure it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Fantastic deer, Sir! We lost a property last year so I know the pain. But what a blessing for you to end it on that note! I hope you find another place soon.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

An extremely fine buck!
And a doe to round it out.
Hell of a fine day! :thumbup:

Sad about losing such a magical place that meant so much to you & your family.
Lost one pretty much the same last year...

Do indeed hope you can find suitable replacement!

Cheers & best of Luck!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
frisky

Post by frisky »

A big CONGRATS on a very fine deer. Sorry to here of losing a fine place to hunt. I lost a place to hunt many years ago, dad and I went unto debt a bought a place. All paid for now, and I still hunt there. :thumbup:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

That is indeed an awesome buck! He looks enormous. There's no finer send off of the Zoo than to reward you with such a nice trophy. Congratulations.

Good luck with the more difficult hunt you have ahead of you for a new Zoo.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: