OT: Pure Power

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

OT: Pure Power

Post by IronNoggin »

Polar Bear Hunting a Caribou: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0m_90yIPM
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Re: OT: Pure Power

Post by xcaliber »

WOW!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Truly an apex predator! We are on their menu. :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Impressive !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Polar bear do what polar bear do…😂 kill to survive without emotion.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Impressive strength dragging that thing up. He'll be eating well for a few days.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Saw many when we lived in the Western Arctic, and was along for several hunts.

One incident led to my Lady acquiring a beautiful custom made knife as a Christmas present...

My Inuit Partner and I were out on the pack ice off the Yukon North Slope, hunting for a Big Boy.
I initially saw a sow with two cubs from some distance off.
Got my Buddy's attention, noting I wanted to get a tad closer for a few pictures.
Sure sez he, I'll stand a little ways off and ride shotgun for you...

So, uncased the big ol' 35 mm, attached a half decent lens, and ran my snow machine in a course paralleling them that got me closer, and closer, and...
At around 75 yards I could see she was getting a little pissy at my presence, so stopped, looked down to get the camera set, and when I looked up she was in full blown charge RIGHT AT ME!! Image

Quickly spun the machine, and idled up to around 40 mph or so.
Looked over my shoulder and she was less than 30 yards and CLOSING! Image

Hammered the throttle, and was up to 70 mph very quickly, but only touching ice & snow every couple of yards or so.
Looked back again after a couple minutes of madness, and thankfully she had given up and was returning to her cubs.
Looked for my "back-up" and he was going the other way as fast as his machine could propel him Image

A few weeks later we were having a dinner party when my Partner told this tale.
My Lady turned white as a ghost, especially so having heard of a similar encounter with a Barren Ground Grizzly in which I barely escaped (that one's hide ended up gracing my floor, but that tale is for another day).

She had our local knife maker produce a one of a king fighting knife which fit my hand like a glove, and presented it to me the next Christmas. Thankfully I never did have to use it for it's intended purpose! It's the one in the picture below:

And yeah, they get BIG.
A Friend who was the Chairman of the Inuvialuit Game Council shot one in his front yard in the village of Sachs Harbour on Banks Island.
The bear bio who had a look suggested it would run just over a TON of bear! Hide was squared at over 12.5 feet.
Incredible!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Professor Nog

I have the distinct impression that if I put in my hearing aids and we were to share a bottle of really good rum, that you could offer a really educational seminar on the hunting sports. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Reinyrooster wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:27 pm
Impressive strength dragging that thing up. He'll be eating well for a few days.
From some documentaries, they don't live an easy life. There isn't a whole lot to live and apparently it isn't unusual for them to die of starvation. Matt, an idea how true that is?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Hi5 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:08 pm
I have the distinct impression that if I put in my hearing aids and we were to share a bottle of really good rum, that you could offer a really educational seminar on the hunting sports. :mrgreen:
LOL! Only a little insight gained from many years of Hand's On. :lol:
Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:23 pm
From some documentaries, they don't live an easy life. There isn't a whole lot to live and apparently it isn't unusual for them to die of starvation. Matt, an idea how true that is?
A lot of that has been blown out of proportion to support some rather wild claims about climate change.

I worked alongside several prominent researchers, the most gifted likely being Ian Stirling.
While he did note some mortality due to starvation, that was generally after being hurt previously.

That said, it is a tough life.
Have a boo at this Book Skull, and understand the interactions that produced missing & cracked teeth and more...

That said, the ones I've seen skinned are THE fattest animals I have ever run across.

Cheers,
Nog
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

IronNoggin wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:21 pm
Hi5 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:08 pm
I have the distinct impression that if I put in my hearing aids and we were to share a bottle of really good rum, that you could offer a really educational seminar on the hunting sports. :mrgreen:
LOL! Only a little insight gained from many years of Hand's On. :lol:
Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:23 pm
A lot of that has been blown out of proportion to support some rather wild claims about climate change.

I worked alongside several prominent researchers, the most gifted likely being Ian Stirling.
While he did note some mortality due to starvation, that was generally after being hurt previously.

That said, it is a tough life.
Have a boo at this Book Skull, and understand the interactions that produced missing & cracked teeth and more...

That said, the ones I've seen skinned are THE fattest animals I have ever run across.

Cheers,
Nog
Matt,
That is an impressive set of dentures!! :thumbup:

And the story of the sow.....I gotta say, I laughed me buttocks off!!!
I'm sure it was NOT funny at that precise moment, but now...Oh Brother!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!