The Way It Goes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

The Way It Goes

Post by IronNoggin »

I have a tradition of hunting on every Remembrance Day as far back as I can recall.

It is my personal time to reflect on what service meant, and means to my own Family, and to give my Thanks for those who served. Many of which did not come home, and most that did were never ever the same.

Yesterday was no different.

I loaded up the truck, chainsaw, axe, 22, 270 and all the rest of the equipment for a fine day afield.
Then ran down to the local Chevron and topped her right up (OUCH!).
Hit the key to head out and... NADA. :wtf:
One loud click.
Damn.

Driving rain made the next couple hours more than miserable.
Cleaned all battery contacts, main battery fuse contacts, starter contacts.
Then tried boosting her. Nope.

Had a fellow try to turn it over while I banged away on the starter. Nope.

Soaked through from lying under her, and beginning to shiver I decided to retreat.
Pushed it off to one side in their lot, called my Lady to come pick me up.
Transferred everything into her car, and nailed the truck down for the night.

Cursing I had one MEAN Rum upon arriving back home.
Then sat and watched the darkness creep over the land.
Said my thanks, remembering those I will always miss.
Wasn't the same at all, but I wasn't going to even think of not doing so...

Today dropped the keys off to my mechanic and he sent the tow truck off while I was wandering home.

In retrospect there is something of a Silver Lining...
Had I shut her off where I intended to go, the situation would have been problematic.
25 clicks or so beyond cell coverage up the mountain.
And wet. Real Wet.

So in some way if she had to calve, I suppose it's best she did it where she did.

But DAMN I miss not holding to that tradition.

Now hoping he can get the rig back to me without having to saw off an arm or a leg to make that so.
And that it happens soon so I can head out there to do exactly as I had intended...

Cheers,
Nog The Stranded
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: The Way It Goes

Post by IronNoggin »

Doubling Down of the Silver Lining aspect...

The Mechanic just called.
Positive cable to the starter from the battery had a meltdown right at the starter.
Took the starter out, and he noted somewhat lucky it did not catch on fire.
Damn! Did not even smell anything untoward.
And the only connection I could not reach without dropping the starter.

So, she's ready to roll again.
7 bills later that is... :(

No longer stranded but can't afford the gas now...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Had a similar thing happen many years ago with my old GMC. Had to call the Queen to come pick us up in the middle of nowhere, we were about 90 minutes away, fuel pump croaked. We were grabbing coffee. Glad you’re fixed up Matt, like you said, could have been a worse situation.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Fire is a bad event no doubt it could have been worse.

In the pre dawn darkness this morning I walked about 3/4 mile through cut corn into my treestand. About 9 am I hear the farmer start plowing his 100 acre field which I knew was coming soon.

About 10:15 am I hear fire engines coming in my direction heard them for miles coming .. His tractor caught fire and was completely engulfed, even the huge tires melted. Yikes!!!

I asked the landowner if I could take a photo. Understandably , he said no please.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

And now discovered that the right rear air bag suspension ruptured when they lifted her today.
Have to replace both.
The "fun" never ends it seems... :wtf:

AAAAARG!
Nog
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Sorry about the bad luck Nog.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Back years ago, me and 3 buddies plus two German Shorthairs of mine were making a trip up to the panhandle between Earth and Muleshoe. Headed that direction for a little Pheasant hunting!
I drove an old Ford Bronco at the time, thing only got about 9 miles to the gallon, I use to tell everybody it got 9 gallons to the mile!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway...we stopped in Sweetwater to fuel up and let the dogs out. Got back in the Bronco and took off. About 30 miles north of there, I felt a huge "bump" in the steering wheel. About that same time, the left rear tire and part of the axle assembly passed my driver's door, trucking down the highway like it had a mind of it's own and knew exactly where it was going!! :wtf: :shock:
It passed us, took a sharp right turn and headed out across a cotton field!!! I waved "good-bye" as it rolled out of sight!!~ :roll:

Needless to the, the Bronco squatted to the left, and at about 70 mph, it was a trick to keep her on the roadway!! I did manage to get her stopped and pulled to the side of the road. We all jumped out, examined one another for unsightly stains :wink: , and then wondered what the :wtf: we were gonna do!!

One of my buds makes the trek across the cotton field to retrieve the escaping wheel assembly. Upon his return with the offender, we noticed the axle had snapped in half.
There we sat, about 30 miles or so from "No Where" Texas. And remember folks, this is in the days BEFORE cell phones!!

After talking about options for 5 minutes, I looked up to see a Texas State Trooper pulling up behind us with his overheads on. He looked at us, the dogs and then grinned.
We talked about the obvious, then he ask..."Where do you guys work?" When we told him we were some of the a large city's not-too-well regulated miltia, he just laughed at us!! :eusa-doh:
He looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "get in the car"! And I replied with a "Yes Sir"!

This young Trooper, hauled me back to Sweetwater, Took me to an auto parts store, where I was able to get all the parts I needed to repair the Bronco.
Then he hauled me to a local garage that they in turn, sent a tow after the Bronco, and my buds. Towed it back to the shop and let us "misfits" use their equipment and tools to fix my truck!!!
In less than 2 hours we were headed off agin on our merry adventure to pursue Pheasants. All in THANKS to a few nice folks.

The underlying tale to all of this is a few left out facts. The State Trooper who was named Randall (Randy) Johnston, paid for the parts at the auto store with his account to repair his own cruiser.
The shop owner, William Stevens, charged us NOTHING for the use of his shop and tools. No charge for his wrecker either. Even gave a helping hand where needed.

Both of these guys were Angels sent to help a bunch of stranded idiots in the middle of no where!!

I contacted Randy's supervisor personally, plus sent in a written letter of recommendation. I contacted the Sweetwater Chamber of Commerce and BBB to praise the guys at Stevens Automotive.
Without them, we would have had a terrible time of things! As it turned out, we all took our limit of Pheasant!!

I stayed friends with these gentlemen for many years....
William "Bill" Stevens died of a heart attack in 1991. I attened his funeral.
Randall "Randy" Johnston was killed in the "line of duty" in 1995. I was one of his Pallbearers. :(

Even though these men have long since been removed from this place we call Earth, I can assure you, that until well after I am long gone, they will never be forgotten.

We never know what type of impact we may have on someone. Or the impact they may later have on us.

And Matt....I sometimes think that out forefather are watching over us when we have a little "set-back" that delayes us from our appointed destiny.
Perhaps it's for our own good. :angel:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:51 am
And Matt....I sometimes think that out forefather are watching over us when we have a little "set-back" that delays us from our appointed destiny.
Perhaps it's for our own good. :angel:

AJ
Great heartwarming tale AJ! Thanks!

And yeah, all I can hope is that a little "good" will somehow come from these delays...

Have a great day! :thumbup:
Matt
maple

Post by maple »

My dad was a career Canadian Air Force guy.

He joined at 17 just before WWII started, so he was able to get his 'Branch' of choice. From '39 to '45, he flew submarine patrol over the North Atlantic
out of Goose Bay Labrador, rain, shine, snow, crashes, incoming fire, or anything in between. By the end of the war, he was the only one of his initial crew to survive.

When I was old enough to hunt with him, which we did quite often, a Remembrance Day in the field was also a tradition for us. Ducks in the morning, fishing during the day and ducks again at sunset.

I remember asking him if he'd prefer to attend the ceremonies which were held by so many Legions. His answer was: No. I'd rather not relive those days, but enjoy the freedom spending time with you, which is exactly what we were fighting for. Freedom.

After watching the ceremonies on TV this year and remembering their service, I did go into the woods, without my long-departed father, and gave thanks for what our veterans did, and gave.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

maple wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:42 pm
After watching the ceremonies on TV this year and remembering their service, I did go into the woods, without my long-departed father, and gave thanks for what our veterans did, and gave.
Excellent! :thumbup:

However rest assured, your Father was indeed at your side when you did this!

Cheers,
Nog