GRIZZ TRICK 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

GRIZZ TRICK 2

Post by CT.HNTR »

I recently picked up a package of the 125 grain Slick Trick Grizz Trick 2 with the 1 1/4 width of cut. They look pretty solid and the larger size of cut has an appeal.

If anybody is using these I would appreciate any feedback regarding how they fly and how the terminal performance it on deer sized game.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
DuckHunt

Re: GRIZZ TRICK 2

Post by DuckHunt »

I got a great deal on about five packs of Mossy Oak Inflictors which are just repackaged GrizzTrick 2 heads. I'm not using them as my primary broadhead but I have shot a few deer with them. All of them fell within sight, so as far as I'm concerned they are a very lethal broadhead.

The only negative is simply because of what they are. They are a large cut fixed blade broadhead. You do need to have proper arrows to stabilize them and get them to fly accurately. Spin testing them to make sure they are straight is important. With the proper arrow, they will fly great. With light arrows and/or low FOC, any alignment or spine issues will cause accuracy issues.

Based on the arrow description in your signature, you should be able to get these to fly well.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have never shot the Grizz 2 but have hunted with the X Bow Tricks for years and have excellent results with them.
I make my own arrows and squire up the shafts and inserts and have zero flight, group issues with the Slick tricks.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

gerald strine wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:52 am
I have never shot the Grizz 2 but have hunted with the X Bow Tricks for years and have excellent results with them.
I make my own arrows and squire up the shafts and inserts and have zero flight, group issues with the Slick tricks.
Exact same for me..
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Yep, shot the Magnums for years. Higher FOC and square shafts with a helical fletch and you will be good to go. Spin test and if it's not perfect, loosen, adjust the washer a bit and try again. Make sure the rounded side of the washer goes toward the BH and the flat side toward the insert on the arrow. Once you are done, 4 arrows in a 1 1/2" bull at 40 yards should be pretty easy to do.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:51 am
Yep, shot the Magnums for years. Higher FOC and square shafts with a helical fletch and you will be good to go. Spin test and if it's not perfect, loosen, adjust the washer a bit and try again. Make sure the rounded side of the washer goes toward the BH and the flat side toward the insert on the arrow. Once you are done, 4 arrows in a 1 1/2" bull at 40 yards should be pretty easy to do.
When using wider fixed blades how important is arrow length. Would I achieve better steering from the fletching if I change from 18 inch to 20 inch shafts?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:23 am
nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:51 am
When using wider fixed blades how important is arrow length. Would I achieve better steering from the fletching if I change from 18 inch to 20 inch shafts?
In general that is always true. The arrow flexes about the "center of pressure" during flight. For us that is about the middle of the shaft. So the further away from the center the fletches are, the more force they will exert...just like any lever. So that is the science..........

But our shafts are so stiff that I doubt you would see much difference in your setup at 18" or 20" as there just isn't that much to correct. If your arrows are spiraling down range (say in like a 4" circle versus just spinning), that is more of an out of square arrow situation than anything a fletching could correct. If your arrows are good, you can shoot about anything.

I have been playing around with a recurve all year and have been trying out some of those massive BHs on my crossbows just for fun. No issues with flight even with a 3" long 1 1/8" wide solid 2 blade.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

So today I tested the 125 grain Grzz trick 2. At a distance of 40 yards they were hitting about 1 1/4 from my field points. This seems very decent to me considering the 1 1/4 blade width. Should I try to tune this in a little better or should I be happy with these results?

If I wanted to try tuning in a little better would I go with longer shafts or should I spine index??
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:13 pm
So today I tested the 125 grain Grzz trick 2. At a distance of 40 yards they were hitting about 1 1/4 from my field points. This seems very decent to me considering the 1 1/4 blade width. Should I try to tune this in a little better or should I be happy with these results?

If I wanted to try tuning in a little better would I go with longer shafts or should I spine index??
Were they just low? Or low and off to one side? If just low, I'd say it's just added drag and I'd readjust my scope and be GTG. I never had Slicks hit right with my FPs. Ramcats, yes, but not the Slcks.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Sight in with the broad heads and call it a day , no one hunts with field points I only practice with broad heads have not shot a field point in a very long time.
Last edited by gerald strine on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

double post.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I dont use field points either! And I've got a pile of 18-1 crumbs to prove it! :D
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

gerald strine wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 pm
Sight in with the broad heads and call it a day , no one hunts with field points I only practice with broad heads have not shot a field point in a very long time.
When sighting in with the broadheads from field points record the click adjustments and tape them to the bow, say you have a adjust 2 clicks up and one click right for example so field points would be 2 clicks down and one click left.
easy peasy.
I just set up for Broad heads and leave it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

gerald strine wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:16 pm
gerald strine wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 pm
When sighting in with the broadheads from field points record the click adjustments and tape them to the bow, say you have a adjust 2 clicks up and one click right for example so field points would be 2 clicks down and one click left.
easy peasy.
I just set up for Broad heads and leave it.
I mostly do the same. But If it's a new arrow build or something significantly different (new scope mount or something) I'll throw FPs down first. Then I change to BHs and sight in all arrows.

Just remember to RESHARPEN your broadheads after putting them into a BH target. My BLOB is hell on a very fine finished edge. Rinehart wasn't as bad, but both dull them a lot.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

the broadheads were dead on right to left and just low so maybe it's just drag. I can probably adjust my sights to accommodate for the extra drag and call it a day.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks