Heavy 8pt down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Heavy 8pt down

Post by gerald strine »

My brother and I have a long standing tradition of bow hunting together the first week of November and the early rut.
We have done this for at least the last 6 years and it is something I look forward to all year. Just the two of us at camp, good food , some venison chops cooked in wine sauce, the last of the fall colors , frosty mornings , old stories and the pursuit of a new harvest.
Well this year due to my brother having to have Knee surgery and a difficult recovery I was on my own.
I get up north to the trailer and start hunting on Nov 2nd. Our trailer is not on the land we hunt but about a 15 min 4 wheeler ride from it.
The first day the weather was frosty and perfect for getting you excited to hunt ,I saw a huge mature Doe a 4 point and a lopsided spike but nothing I wanted to harvest.
Day two I am making the pre dawn ride back on the 4 wheeler after a breakfast of sausage and eggs with my lunch and thermos in my pack ,with high hopes of a good hunt.
I sit all day in my ladder tree stand since I am on my own , no going in for a lunch break.
The weather is great below freezing mornings never hitting above 40 for the high .
Things start out slow and after sitting about 3 hours I reach for my thermos and I have a deer blow behind me and crash into the tag alders behind my
stand never giving me a look :cry:
The rest off the day passes with seeing what I believe are the same two small bucks from the day before but farther out, and getting a snort from my down wind side at one point but no sighting that one.
Then around 6:30 as the last light is setting in all of a sudden I have a deer coming in from Right to left at a good clip I pick an opening and see it is a shooter! I pick a second shooting lane , guess the yardage and when he steps into it I bleat with my mouth to stop him , It works like a charm he stops looks at me and I let fly a 2219 XX75, with a 4 blade Slick Trick X Bow Trick , Thwak behind the shoulder !
The buck takes off and only runs 27 yards and nose plants , makes one attempt to regain its front feet but only gets part way up and is down for good in sight of the tree stand !
Normally I wait an hour to follow up on a bow shot but I saw the deer go down and Knew it was done and It was getting dark out.
I made a quick call to my brother took a few pictures on my phone and it was dark after getting it gutted.
Well I am a good walk away from the 4 wheeler and the terrain buy my stand is all wind falls , root balls, tags and I did not think I could get the 4 wheeler to the deer I needed to drag it 150 yards to more open woods to try and get it on the 4 wheeler buy my self , did I mention that we have a bear problem and coyotes up the ying yang . no leaving it out until morning.
I always carry the green chemical lite sticks in my pack so I would carry my coat, bow and pack ect up a ways hang a chem lite then drag the deer to that. Then scout the path ,drop off the gear hang another lite stick and leap frogged in this manner to the more open woods that i could drive the 4 wheeler up to.
The lite sticks made finding the deer in the black woods after getting the 4 wheeler very easy to find I have used them often in the past marking blood ,deer what ever.
Well a long story short I had a near death experience trying to get the buck on the 4 wheeler rack buy my self but after several failed attempts it was accomplished.
I did not get back to the trailer and the deer hung until after 10:00 :crazy:
I have a few pictures on my phone if some one wanted to post them , it never works for me.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Re: Heavy 8pt down

Post by vixenmaster »

Well you certainly had your work started on that mighty fine tick toter, congrats
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! It's always great when a hunt comes together! :thumbup:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you want to email the pic to me, I'll post it. [email protected]
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Boo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:55 am
If you want to email the pic to me, I'll post it. [email protected]
Thank you Don pictures sent.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Well done!
Look forward to seeing your pictures.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Excellent. Congratulations on your kill. What a great story too.
Happy Thanksgiving
Hatchet
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
steveOh

Post by steveOh »

Congratulation on a fine buck!
Micro 335, Hawke XB1 SR
16.5" GT 396 Swift Pro by Wyvern
100gr Spitfires
Lumenok
386 Grain
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice buck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great buck congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Nice one. Congratulations!! Good shot placement
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats on the nice buck! :thumbup: Heavy is nice until you have to get it out of the woods. My brother got one a couple weeks ago that he wants to put on the wall and call it the heart attack buck. Because a couple of times he thought he as going to have a heart attack while we were trying to get it out of the woods. It was after 8:30 before we got him in the boat for the ride down the river. It's a memorable moment, but one we'd prefer not to live over again. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: