I have to say this to people that I know will understand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

I have to say this to people that I know will understand

Post by xcaliber »

This year has been tough on me, and a few others here.I have had stretches when I did not get a deer, and it's painful. But being kept out of the woods for the entire season due to health has made me realize that it's a certain thing that there will one year be the very last. I hope that's a long way off for all of us. The Kid said to me the other day he wants to take me out for lunch while he's on vacation. Said he never thought he would miss me this much.Now he's going to cry at my funeral. At the end, isn't that what we want? :eusa-popcorn:
Last edited by xcaliber on Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Re: I have to say this to people that I know will understand

Post by gerald strine »

My retired brother missed his first year deer hunting since he was 18 and could not because of a new job that was over 40 years ago.
A knee surgery nocked him out of the game this year and it was hard on me not having him their.
You are correct the end will come for us all one day we should not take things for granted.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I enjoyed hunting with a rookie better than some know it all. :eusa-deadhorse: there is not too many things better to seethan their first deer, or homerun,
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Yep some of us are getting there sooner than others. Leg pretty much ended my season this year except for a really lucky alignment of the stars that let me get out once and luckily tag a deer.

Here's to a better season next year!

Think i'll drink a whisky to that right now.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Species8472 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:14 pm
Yep some of us are getting there sooner than others. Leg pretty much ended my season this year except for a really lucky alignment of the stars that let me get out once and luckily tag a deer.

Here's to a better season next year!

Think i'll drink a whisky to that right now.
Heck yeah! I’m going to see the Captain!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Understand Dan ,l actually think you are doing very well with the circumstances at hand ...give yourself credit.
I'm ok and we'll but having a pretty crappy time harvesting a decent buck this year. Hunting and fishing will humble you and put you in your place that's why they are so cool.
Things happen for a reason you will see!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Time away makes you appreciate it even more .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:30 pm
This year has been tough on me, and a few others here.I have had stretches when I did not get a deer, and it's painful. But being kept out of the woods for the entire season due to health has made me realize that it's a certain thing that there will one year be the very last. I hope that's a long way off for all of us. The Kid said to me the other day he wants to take me out for lunch while he's on vacation. Said he never thought he would miss me this much.Now he's going to cry at my funeral. At the end, isn't that what we want? :eusa-popcorn:
I think i have reached my last year Dan,
Can't cock my bow and, can't climb my ladder stands.
my first time to bow hunt was in 1960,
It,s been a good run, :D

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

papabear1 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:33 am
xcaliber wrote:

Dave
Don't quit! Buy a crank and a ghille suit and sit on the ground!! :D
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Gentlemen please...

Life is fleeting at it's finest. the Bible says that..."man is ike a vapor, he is here today and gone tomorrow..." If we are able to touch but one life and fill it with joy, what an accomplishment that is!! Imagine touching hundreds, or thousands?
We wonder around this ball of rock and dirt, never really thinking about some of the things we do. We seldom pause to ask ourselves, "What did I do today to make someone else's day a little better"?

Well Dan....I have heard great tales about you. Mentoring others. Helping at every opportunity. Being that guiding light in a storm. Giving and asking nothing in return. That is the TRUE measure of a man's life. Not what have I gained, but what have I done? :thumbup:

I did the funeral service for my Father-in-law some years back. My dear sweet Mother-in-law pulled me aside at the funeral home and told me..."Don't be surprised if not many people show up for Jimmy's funeral". I smiled down at her and put my arm around her shoulders. I said "Nano...I think you might be surprised.
You see....I knew the times Jimmy had gone out to help others. I knew that in his late 70's and early 80's, he still went to the Elementary school to go to the library and read to the kids. I saw....so did others.

The day of his funeral well over 500 people showed up to say "Thank You" for a life well lived.

Sometimes we look around and think "Oh Woe Is Me"....But it's like the man said..."I felt sorrow for myself because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet".

Old age, maladies and life in general catch up to all of us, if we are lucky. Unfortunately some "go home" way to early, then we sit and ponder as to why? We are NOT in charge. We have little to no control over the circumstances in a single day, much less in all of our time here on this Earth.
Enjoy Everyday! Live Every Moment! Tell folks that matter, "I Love You"!! And savor the laughter of family and friends!!

Since being on this Forum for a few years now, I can safely say that I have met a number of truly fine individuals. I consider myself lucky to say the word "friend" in the same sentence when mentioning your names.

As we head into this season we call "Christmas", I hope that you are granted peace. And that you are surrounded by loved ones!! And that GOD blesses YOU and YOUR loved ones in a mighty way!! :angel:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:12 am
papabear1 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:33 am
xcaliber wrote:

Dave
Don't quit! Buy a crank and a ghille suit and sit on the ground!! :D
ABSOLUTELY!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

For the past 51 years I have taken at least one big game animal every single fall.
Most years, quite a few more than that.

This year... Dunno.

Disease hit our Island, and has taken a very heavy toll on our Blacktails.
I will not kill one.

The weather has absolutely wrecked havoc on our highways, and I am cut off at this point from the areas we do our late archery season hunts in.
And it is raining over there... again.
Odds seem stacked that I won't be allowed to partake. :thumbdown:

And that very much sucks.

But... I see the "last year" as still a fair ways off for me. I hope to be out there until the last possible moment.
And am sincerely hoping that next may produce better opportunities...

Fingers Crossed that is...

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've been returning to Arkansas for duck and deer hunting for the past decade to spend time hunting with my Dad in his final years. Well, after last year he made the decision that 2020 was his last hunting season. I really hated for him to come to that conclusion, but in his case it was likely for the best.

Duck hunting, at least the way we do it, is physically demanding when hunting public ground. He just didn't have the strength or stamina and more importantly balance to safely participate any longer. The last two seasons he duck hunted I'm not sure he fired a shot. But we did everything we could to get him out there so he could be with us and still in the game.

Last season his shoulders began to give him so much trouble that he couldn't easily hold a deer rifle up to aim it. Couple that with the shakes from Parkinsons and eventually safety becomes a concern. For that reason, he made the decision to hang it up. While he is no longer going out with us, that doesn't mean he has written off hunting. He's around for all of our sight-in sessions and loves to talk tactics and share in discussions when we return with a harvest. His freezer ain't going empty.

Fortunately, we still have fishing. When we don't have a situation where he can have a pole in his hand, he is quite content to sit in the boat and spectate when we're bass fishing or provide words of wisdom when we're fishing trotlines.

There will come a day when I have to hang it up too. Hopefully that's closer to three decades away.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Trust me he appreciates every moment with you!
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:04 am
Gentlemen please...

Life is fleeting at it's finest. the Bible says that..."man is ike a vapor, he is here today and gone tomorrow..." If we are able to touch but one life and fill it with joy, what an accomplishment that is!! Imagine touching hundreds, or thousands?
We wonder around this ball of rock and dirt, never really thinking about some of the things we do. We seldom pause to ask ourselves, "What did I do today to make someone else's day a little better"?

Well Dan....I have heard great tales about you. Mentoring others. Helping at every opportunity. Being that guiding light in a storm. Giving and asking nothing in return. That is the TRUE measure of a man's life. Not what have I gained, but what have I done? :thumbup:

I did the funeral service for my Father-in-law some years back. My dear sweet Mother-in-law pulled me aside at the funeral home and told me..."Don't be surprised if not many people show up for Jimmy's funeral". I smiled down at her and put my arm around her shoulders. I said "Nano...I think you might be surprised.
You see....I knew the times Jimmy had gone out to help others. I knew that in his late 70's and early 80's, he still went to the Elementary school to go to the library and read to the kids. I saw....so did others.

The day of his funeral well over 500 people showed up to say "Thank You" for a life well lived.

Sometimes we look around and think "Oh Woe Is Me"....But it's like the man said..."I felt sorrow for myself because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet".

Old age, maladies and life in general catch up to all of us, if we are lucky. Unfortunately some "go home" way to early, then we sit and ponder as to why? We are NOT in charge. We have little to no control over the circumstances in a single day, much less in all of our time here on this Earth.
Enjoy Everyday! Live Every Moment! Tell folks that matter, "I Love You"!! And savor the laughter of family and friends!!

Since being on this Forum for a few years now, I can safely say that I have met a number of truly fine individuals. I consider myself lucky to say the word "friend" in the same sentence when mentioning your names.

As we head into this season we call "Christmas", I hope that you are granted peace. And that you are surrounded by loved ones!! And that GOD blesses YOU and YOUR loved ones in a mighty way!! :angel:
Totally agree
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly