Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Re: Hooks up or down

Post by grouse »

Boo wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:22 pm
grouse wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:00 am
I only rope cock and I don't see what difference hook orientation makes. If those things sometimes break, they should make them out of metal to avoid injuries (and lawsuits).
You will see if you ever have a hook not quite full engaged and especially when decocking. Happed to me. Broke a hook and handle, smacked me pretty good in the hand. Luckily didn't hit anything like an eye.
Hooks made out of metal will wear down the side of the mainframe. The took can have imperfections like Triggertech had in the top of their latches of a few trigger units. That was scary!
A couple of things: facing up or down doesn't have a very clear meaning to me. They are ALWAYS facing up as I see it. Forward or backward seems more understandable. Is there that much difference in what happens when a hook breaks, based on hook orientation? It seems to me that if a hook breaks, the remaining portion is coming up in a hurry, no matter which way it's oriented.

With regard to metal hooks being abrasive and damaging the sides of the mainframe. There are numerous ways to coat them that would eliminate that issue.
axiom
350 SE
Normous

Post by Normous »

Grouse, I have been hit hard in the face one time when a hook broke and thankfully didn't take out an eye. The hook was facing down.

Hooks usually break under the rounded string contact area.

Which way the hooks are oriented will determine the potential to hurt yourself (face) if a hook broke.

With a hook facing up for example and breakage occurs the fast as lightening flinging end will be directed under you arms and probably leave a little bruise while leaving you cursing all sorts of colorful words.

If a hook broke facing orientation down , the direct force is directed up into your face while bend over . If the nasty end hits you in the eye you'll never be good looking again if you know what I mean.

That is why heavy equipment recovery operators are taught hooks
facing up. If that hook accidentally breaks during a pull its going to hit the ground first thus slowing it down. There are plenty of heavy equipment videos on the Net showing inexperienced operators being maimed or killed directly when hooks break facing down and being hit hit directly.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Normous wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:11 pm
Grouse, I have been hit hard in the face one time when a hook broke and thankfully didn't take out an eye. The hook was facing down.

Hooks usually break under the rounded string contact area.

Which way the hooks are oriented will determine the potential to hurt yourself (face) if a hook broke.

With a hook facing up for example and breakage occurs the fast as lightening flinging end will be directed under you arms and probably leave a little bruise while leaving you cursing all sorts of colorful words.

If a hook broke facing orientation down , the direct force is directed up into your face while bend over . If the nasty end hits you in the eye you'll never be good looking again if you know what I mean.

That is why heavy equipment recovery operators are taught hooks
facing up. If that hook accidentally breaks during a pull its going to hit the ground first thus slowing it down. There are plenty of heavy equipment videos on the Net showing inexperienced operators being maimed or killed directly when hooks break facing down and being hit hit directly.

I never really understood the difference but this is the best description i have heard and a good reason for me to switch. I just found it easier to put hooks down.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

:lol:
Boo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:15 am
Hooks underneath for the reason that Norm stated. If you put the hooks on top of the string and it gets away on you, you'll quickly look at your body parts and switch the next time you use the cocker. I've broken a hook and one handle. Some guys have damaged their bows and scopes as well as changed their underwear. :mrgreen:
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I do not recommend any hook ups for the married hunters out their it can get messy fast.
Now you single hunters hook ups are your own business but proceed with great caution . :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

gerald strine wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:41 pm
I do not recommend any hook ups for the married hunters out their it can get messy fast.
Now you single hunters hook ups are your own business but proceed with great caution . :D
I was gonna say that I don't mind if my hookups were in the up or down facing position, but this is family site... so I won't.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Last edited by Normous on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

gerald strine wrote:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

janesy wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:58 pm
gerald strine wrote:
I was gonna say that I don't mind if my hookups were in the up or down facing position, but this is family site... so I won't.
:D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

grouse wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:18 pm
A couple of things: facing up or down doesn't have a very clear meaning to me. They are ALWAYS facing up as I see it. Forward or backward seems more understandable. Is there that much difference in what happens when a hook breaks, based on hook orientation? It seems to me that if a hook breaks, the remaining portion is coming up in a hurry, no matter which way it's oriented.
Done with hook opening down (opening to your back while cocking): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN5n-1o5f28

Done with hook opening up (opening forward while cocking): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVmlpwQMJY&

Hook opening forward using your designation Grouse is the safer way to do it, like everyone here is saying.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:58 pm
gerald strine wrote:
At my age, sideways is not objectionable. I mean a hook up is a hook up right