Is it my imagination

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Is it my imagination

Post by Boo »

Or not? There doesn't seem to be nearly the same number of deer posts this year. Where I'm at, the weather has been so warm that deer are very nocturnal. I've been holding out for a couple of racks but does are on the menu from here on in.
Last edited by Boo on Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Riflemanz

Re: It it my imagination

Post by Riflemanz »

I was thinking the same thing.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

It does seem like the posts are down.
It was a weird season for me. Didn't seem to have the traditional rut activity but the full moon seemed to coincide with the days that should have been prime for me. I find that always throws the activity off some
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I agree with the previous posts.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I've only been like 4 times this season. I usually go about 3 times a week!! :lol: Conditions here in East Texas just have not been conducive to good hunting. :thumbdown:
I've talked to several folks around where I live, all say the thing..."there are no deer"!! :eusa-think:
I think the severe freeze we had here caused a lot of die off. Deer in Texas just aren't use to that extreme of weather conditions. You just don't get -4 degrees in Texas every year!!! As a matter-of-fact, I can NEVER in my lifetime ever remember it being THAT cold down here!!
I have seen exactly 2 deer during daylight here in the Piney Woods. I have a BUNCH of Does on camera around midnight, but no Bucks. I have one piece of property that I hunt that I have seen NO DEER on camera at all. South and West Texas are a little different story, I hope!!
I'm headed out to Irion County (near San Angelo), this coming weekend. Deer are normally like fleas on a mutt out there. I'll let ya know how that story ends!! :eusa-doh:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Re: Is it my imagination

Post by grouse »

I noticed the lack of posts also. This hasn't been a great season for me, but I won't blame the weather (though the weather hasn't been good). Our season opened 9/15 and when I hunted early it was hot, but I saw deer every time I went out. I passed on a fawn that still had spots and could have shot nice buck at about 45 yards. I thought the buck was coming closer, but he made a right turn and the opportunity was gone. Also in September, I shot my first turkey with a crossbow. In late October I put an arrow through a big doe right at sunset and decided to put off looking for her until morning. The next morning I found her eaten by coyotes.

Firearms season was disappointing also. I had been seeing several decent bucks while crossbow hunting that were in rifle range. They stayed out of sight when the guns came out and I finally shot a doe the second weekend just to have some venison. Our bow season goes until Jan. 15, so I'll probably get out one or two more times. I'm not optimistic because I've never killed a deer after firearms season.
axiom
350 SE
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I've shot 4 with my Excaliburs this year, but only made the one post on the one. Shot one with my new 6mm ARC as well :)

https://youtu.be/ojJzHcZ-rc0
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Well...that answers it! Looks like Tyler got em all! :lol:
I'm going to check out your video right now Tyler!
Take care
Hatchet
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Our season was warm and we saw nothing for the better part of October. At the end of archery season I passed on a shot at a mature doe due to lack of light and to far away for the visibility conditions. Same thing during rifle season. Saw a large bodied deer but it was at 40 and just to dark under the softwoods to shoot.
I plan on getting a better low light scope for next season. I am happy just seeing some deer as that shows that I'm getting better at scouting.
wheelsquad wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:53 am
I've shot 4 with my Excaliburs this year, but only made the one post on the one. Shot one with my new 6mm ARC as well :)

https://youtu.be/ojJzHcZ-rc0
Another excellent video Tyler! Congratulations on your success this year. You're a wicked shooter for sure Bud!
Thanks for sharing your videos with us. Very cool!
Take care
Hatchet
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hatchet wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:23 pm
Well...that answers it! Looks like Tyler got em all! :lol:
I'm going to check out your video right now Tyler!
Take care
Hatchet
:lol: :lol: :lol: :wtf:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I miss Vixenmaster posting his usual 5-6 deer he used to kill. That explains it!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I try to post a few. This year so far is bust. :eusa-violin:
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I usually have gotten 3 or 4 by this time of the year. Having recently moved to Alabama I have had to start all over again. Going out again in the morning so hopefully the buck that has been making all the scrapes and rubs will come by. I'll settle for a doe though.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good Luck Bill, I will only hunt days that look rewarding going forward! I know I should look at every day as a possibility, but those days are behind me now.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I see no point in hunting until at least the nightime temps are freezing or colder. My cams show that the deer are coming out well into the night. Fortuneately I'll be busy training and maybe a bit of time for goose hunting!