Is it my imagination

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: Is it my imagination

Post by xcaliber »

I spend more time with the pup. Those days go past no matter what we do Don! :eusa-deadhorse:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've noticed it. We normally see a lot more posts in general because of a lot more successful hunts. It seems we have a lot of folks on the sidelines this year or getting out less for a multitude of reasons. Weather, health, moving/relocation, losing hunting land, you name it. Less forum members in the woods impacts the posts we see. Life happens to all of us.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:25 pm
I've noticed it. We normally see a lot more posts in general because of a lot more successful hunts. It seems we have a lot of folks on the sidelines this year or getting out less for a multitude of reasons. Weather, health, moving/relocation, losing hunting land, you name it. Less forum members in the woods impacts the posts we see. Life happens to all of us.
Well you contributed this year, as usual. I have been chomping at the bit, but if I don't get out until next October, I'll live. This time of year, hunting public land here in Indiana, you better be doe hunting, or as we say "deer" hunting. On private land, you have a good chance on a field edge of low pressure places.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well i did not post here because i have killed 2 but not with my Excal. It was very hot here during Archery season in Sept. I did not get my Res. Lic. til after mid Oct. I am trying to learn where the tick toters move on the WMA i get to hunt. Plus lets face it i spend most of my free time taking care of my Mrs. n my furbabies. Life is good n it will be better as i learn this area
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
artifact

Post by artifact »

I usually don't post when I do get a deer, but this year was a disaster for my hunting buddy and not really that great for me, I did manage to get a small 7 pt, buck and a doe with the Matrix 380 wearing one of Mikes strings. We hunted almost every morning for the 7 weeks of archery and the 2 weeks of rifle season, we saw a total of 59 deer while hunting 4 different areas and my buddy never got an opportunity at a legal buck, we have hunted these areas for years and only seeing 59 deer in that amount of time is pathetic at best!!! I was sitting with his grandson during rifle season (a junior hunter) and just as we were leaving I spotted a buck coming through @ about 70-80 yds., I got it stopped and he missed it! :eusa-doh: That buck may not have been legal for us, it was either a small Y or a very small 6, a junior hunter can shoot 3+" spikes and Y's, we can't, we would have had to really scope out the horns to see if it was legal for us.
I have 2 evening stands at my house that I have shot buck out of, I never even used either one of them this year, we had a localized massive deer kill due to EHD that killed off most of the local deer population, not too many left.
We saw a lot of scrapes about the middle of archery season, and plenty of rubs, but couldn't find the deer, but almost every time we talked to someone who lives in one of the developments they would whip out their phones and show us pictures of the buck in their backyard!
We still have a late archery and flintlock season for my buddy to get a buck, hopefully he can get something but age is catching up to us, some of the places we used to hunt are no longer options!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Boo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:17 pm
I see no point in hunting until at least the nightime temps are freezing or colder. My cams show that the deer are coming out well into the night. Fortuneately I'll be busy training and maybe a bit of time for goose hunting!
Going be 32 deg F in the morning with a high of 59 deg F. I'm heading out to the swamp early and be set up to see the sunrise. Will be using my climbing tree stand alongside a scrape/rub line just inside the woods.

Rained and was just plain miserable Friday and Saturday. Was nice today and sunny. Would have been a perfect day to hunt but Sunday hunting is prohibited in the refuge.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I honestly can't understand it ,l was seeing some nice bucks first 2 weeks of the season then right around the rut ....all gone .
I know many fellow hunters here having the same experience.
Definitely blue tongue deaths it's really weird l hunt these places for 40 years the hunting has been getting better every year.
Possible coyotes are killing the fawns ... I'm not seeing fawns either.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
artifact

Post by artifact »

Here where I live in lower Carbon county, it was definitely blue tongue that devastated the heard and people were finding dead deer everywhere, where we were hunting we didn't find any. Driving back and forth to hunt we saw only a couple of road kills where there are usually a lot more, and asking the people who live in the developments if they were finding dead deer no one said that they were seeing anything unusual or hearing talk about it.
We noticed the same as you, lots of rubs tracks and scrapes early, then it seemed like they didn't freshen the scrapes and the deer disappeared, we figured they pulled into the developments where there is plenty of food at all the feeders!
Will see, need snow for late archery and FL, that will tell what is around.
nchunterkw

Re: It it my imagination

Post by nchunterkw »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:44 am
I've only been like 4 times this season. I usually go about 3 times a week!! :lol: Conditions here in East Texas just have not been conducive to good hunting. :thumbdown:
I've talked to several folks around where I live, all say the thing..."there are no deer"!! :eusa-think:
I think the severe freeze we had here caused a lot of die off. Deer in Texas just aren't use to that extreme of weather conditions. You just don't get -4 degrees in Texas every year!!! As a matter-of-fact, I can NEVER in my lifetime ever remember it being THAT cold down here!!
I have seen exactly 2 deer during daylight here in the Piney Woods. I have a BUNCH of Does on camera around midnight, but no Bucks. I have one piece of property that I hunt that I have seen NO DEER on camera at all. South and West Texas are a little different story, I hope!!
I'm headed out to Irion County (near San Angelo), this coming weekend. Deer are normally like fleas on a mutt out there. I'll let ya know how that story ends!! :eusa-doh:
I'm hunting with a rookie hunter this year who is from TX. He wanted to do an Axis deer hunt in the spring on his uncle's ranch back there. Said they are kind of a nuisance and very populated. At Thanksgiving the uncle said exactly what you said. That freeze took out a bunch of the deer and they are not really hunting Axis bucks at all.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Deer pretty much went nocturnal early this year, but I was able to harvest a couple1 1/2 year olds and gave one to my brother in-law since his wife is alergic to beef. Checked my cameras again today and they are now coming out about an hour before last light so I will start hunting again tomorrow.
Bucks have pretty much vanished but I still have a doe tag left and would like to get a nice sized one so I can pressure can more burger.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I pulled sd cards on a place today that I haven't been on in about 3 weeks. Kinda gave up on it this year. As I was going thru the pics of Does, Trash Pandas and assorted Coyotes, I came cross this fellow headed north!!

Hope I get a shot at him this coming weekend. Season ends January 2nd, 2022!! If Not.....Lord willing there is always next year!! :thumbup: :angel:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:44 pm
I pulled sd cards on a place today that I haven't been on in about 3 weeks. Kinda gave up on it this year. As I was going thru the pics of Does, Trash Pandas and assorted Coyotes, I came cross this fellow headed north!!

Hope I get a shot at him this coming weekend. Season ends January 2nd, 2022!! If Not.....Lord willing there is always next year!! :thumbup: :angel:
Goodluck AJ! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Wow! :shock: That buck would make me lose sleep.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

XB I GO is trying to pick up the slack for all you antique ol' men. Bless his heart y'all are workin' him to death! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Way to go XB someone has to help all these ol' farts.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Holy Moses AJ what a beast! Good luck man!
Take care
Hatchet