illuminated scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

illuminated scope

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Thinking about upgrading one of my rifle scopes to to a illuminated Vortex 3x9x40 mm scope. It'll have the small dot in the middle of the cross hairs. Is it even worth having? Anybody have one that used the illumination that helped them kill their deer? I guess I see myself still buying one because its a good scope but wondering if I will use the illumination. I know I'm over thinking it.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
gerald strine

Re: illuminated scope

Post by gerald strine »

I just purchased a Sig Saur Wiskey3 3-9 with the Hell Fire reticle and it seams like a fantastic scope just out of the box.
I have not mounted it yet as my mount has not arrived yet.
I really am impressed with what I see so far the scope has 12 brightness settings with a off setting between each setting which is really well thought out.
Pick your brightness and you are never more than a tiny turn from it no need to go through all the settings to get to what you want.
It has a inferred setting also that I most likely will never get into but it is their.
The glass seams very good and the reviews are all very positive though mostly for the standard non lighted center dot.
I really think I will like the lighted dot in the center of the cross hair, I did not buy it for a crossbow.
The price was very reasonable in my opinion but the hell fire reticle is harder to find than the standard one , I went to perhaps order a second scope and I think I got the last one from Optics Planet because only the non illuminated 3-9 were coming up today ,and I just got the Hell Fire last week.
scope
https://www.scopelist.com/Sig-Sauer-WHISKEY3-Scope-3-9x40mm-1-In-SFP-Hellfire-Quadplex-Illum-Reticle-025-M-n.aspx
Mounts for Pic rail
https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-ar-tactical-mounts.html
Hunt eat sleep repeat.

Post by newbie »

I run a leupold Mark Ar 1.5x4 with the firedot SPR reticle. I love it. I find it draws my eye fast. Turn it down low dusk to dawn. It goes to sleep wakes up when you move the now.

Loved it so much I bought a second for my backup bow.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

newbie wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:26 pm
I run a leupold Mark Ar 1.5x4 with the firedot SPR reticle. I love it. I find it draws my eye fast. Turn it down low dusk to dawn. It goes to sleep wakes up when you move the now.

Loved it so much I bought a second for my backup bow.
Sounds like a sweet scope , I bet it makes for a nice rig.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I have the Vortex Crossfire II Crossbow scope on all my bows. It has a great reticle which you can illuminate red or green.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'd prefer a scope with multiple illuminated markers like in my 1X8 Strike Eagles. If your eyesight is good then the Crossfire 2 is great. With my old eyes, the Crossfire 2 reticle numbers are too small and illumination can't be dimmed low enough not to cause flaring.
I also use a scope with one single illuminated dot on an HHA. The big issue with that is that if things happen fast, it is cumbersome to have to take your eyes off the deer to look at the speed dial make an adjustment. I use this set up in my food plot where I've set markers.
Is it worth it? For me, you bet. However, if your eye sight is extremely good, heavyish reticles can be sufficient for low light if the glass is good, light management is good and the exit at pupil is 7mm or greater at the magnification you're using.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

I like lighted reticle for sure but only single.
I sight in for 30 yards and I'm good for all my stands without thinking. Missed too many deer with multiple aim point reticles. Lol..
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Illumination for me is a must have. Especially for that last 5min of legal shooting time in the temagami bear woods!

If your looking for a killer deal on an illuminated scope check this one out!

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-viper-xbr-25-10x44-crossbow-scope-with-xbr-1-illuminated-reticle-moa-vxbr-1.aspx
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.