Crazy Crossbow speeds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Crazy Crossbow speeds

Post by Farmer »

I know speed sells , it is obvious all manufactures are on the bandwagon ...Where will it end ?
Just saw a you tube video for a reverse draw compound rated for 505 fps ! :shock:
Will these increases in speed become an issue for hunting ?

here is a link to the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDLVTxiTQSM&ab_channel=TenPointCrossbows
grouse

Re: Crazy Crossbow speeds

Post by grouse »

I'm in favor of advancing and making things better but there is a cost. Crossbow, longbow and muzzle loader hunters used to have a certain charm about them because they used more primitive weapons and were perceived to be more skillful. That charm is disappearing with technological advances. Someday it could result in limitations - like shortened seasons or combining with firearms seasons.
axiom
350 SE
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Personally i prefer to hunt not just kill. I sold all of my rifles n no longer own one. So i use crossbows n ML's through all seasons as they are legally allowed. I am a meat hunter n even as old n crippled up as i am. I will hunt like that than to use a rifle n the tick toters don't even know i am in the same county wid'em
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I personally have found that increasing speed has an affect on accuracy. Especially with broadheads.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

If I'm NOT mistaken....Didn't our Indigenous People kill game with a stick and an Atlatl BEFORE bows?? :eusa-think:
Hunting is about skill, not speed! :eusa-doh:

It was hard enough to get laws changed to allow crossbows during "archery season" to start with when speeds were around the 330 fps mark. Vertical Bow hunting groups complained big time! Now that manufactures have pushed the limits to speeds over 425-450 fps, I look for the complains to arise renewed with great vigor!!
And this time, they just might succeed!!! :eusa-popcorn:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

The more you exceed 360 or so in speed, the more arrow flaws show up. The industry still has not found a way to make a perfectly straight shaft that has no static or dynamic spine that these super fast bows need. Accuracy isn't only the only cost to speed. Limbs, cables and strings suffer. When something happens to make a bow self disassemble, it really goes wrong. Rear nocks are another really soft spot with speed and they can really ruin your day. No all bow presses can handle these "super bows". Not all broadheads fly well. The list goes on.
It won't stop because the thirst for speed, especially for the immature bow hunters, is nothing but a rotten carrot. It looks like a good idea but there's often some bad taste left in your mouth. Reliability for fast will come when they bring products like arrow shafts, string material and limb components that will take the forces necessary to exceed 500 ft/sec.
At the moment I think Excalibur with it's 400 Suppressor and Assassin has hit the top of speed levels that give the longevity and reliability that we as the buying public expect and want.
Meantime, if you want to go stupid fast expect to have to send your bow back to the factory that made the bow for timing adjustments, expect to only use the proprietary arrows and nocks, be limited to certain broadeads, replace cables and maybe strings often, cull more arrows etc.

https://youtu.be/Ut5GgY5D10k
At about 6:30 you'll see just how much force is needed to nock the Ravin 500. Just imagine your hand in there loading a broadhead tipped arrow. I think that bow needs to 16 revolutions to cock the bow and 16 to lower the string. Crazy and no thank you!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

I’d rather buy a used truck
https://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=608662%2C+608649%2C+608661%2C+608660&goal=0_e377be5729-3774ef0606-2437841&mc_cid=3774ef0606&mc_eid=c5f32762f8
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m getting 364 fps with heavy arrows from my Matrix 380, and would never need more speed than that. If I do, I’ll grab a gun.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

grouse wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:08 am
I'm in favor of advancing and making things better but there is a cost. Crossbow, longbow and muzzle loader hunters used to have a certain charm about them because they used more primitive weapons and were perceived to be more skillful. That charm is disappearing with technological advances. Someday it could result in limitations - like shortened seasons or combining with firearms seasons.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

To each his own we on the forum have proven over and over for years that a 300 fps can kill deer and the like.
Ask a ravin owner how his bow is doing after 10 years of service as our excaliburs have.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:10 pm
To each his own we on the forum have proven over and over for years that a 300 fps can kill deer and the like.
Ask a ravin owner how his bow is doing after 10 years of service as our excaliburs have.
10 years later he'll be on his second Excalibur
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

What concerns me the most is the reaction from the lawmakers to the progressively higher speeds and some of the other technological innovations. I don't want all that spilling over onto the rest of us. When it is determined that crossbows have advanced to the point that they are no longer permitted during archery season what do we do then? I doubt they will go to the trouble to break crossbows into different groups based on speed and prohibited technological advances. If they did how would anyone enforce it?
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
artifact

Post by artifact »

I don't think you need to worry about that ko4nrbs, everything that was initially illegal when compounds first came out was eventually made legal!
Here in PA they want the deer killed, next thing they will have a gatling gun season the way this is going!! :lol:

Back on topic:
Just like anything else, some guys want a .300 Win. Mag. to shoot a deer at 40-80 yds. here in Pa., some guys have only used a 30-30 to shoot a deer every year for 50-60 yrs. I'm at the higher end with the Matrix 380, the doe I got this year I hit in front of the shoulder facing me and the arrow almost came out the opposite hind quarter even after hitting and breaking the rear leg bone. I shot through 2 buck standing broadside where the broadhead was completely imbedded in a tree after pass through, I think I will just stick with what I have!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

The Exo limb length is a non-issue…
The Exo limbs and strings last forever…
Once the arrow passes through the animal, who gives a crap about speed…

Do I really need to go on???

We love bowhunting BECAUSE it’s hard… when that’s taken away… just grab the .270
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Excalibur crossbows are just going to have to be known as the "mature " alternative to this nonsense or maby the "traditional crossbow " your never gonna compete with this nonsense in my opinion.
People shoot traditional firearms all the time ,they flyfish,not every angler uses a 4 thousand + dollar fish finding setup......its a simple choice practical or insanity as Artifact said some of us use a 50 year old .300 savage or a 30-30 for deer here in Pennsylvania because it works and doesn't break .
This would be the perfect time for excalibur to introduce a "true ultralight crossbow for the "mature and seasoned hunter " and gloat about how long they last possibly giving examples of individuals who bought
them years back and still have them. rather than compete with this nonsense.
My 2010toyota tundra just turned 600,000 miles today
Original motor and transmission very limited maintenance mostly preventative, and a hard life. A good product will sell itself but it sometimes takes a little time to get the word out but people recognize it.
The other day at a worksite a hunter was bragging about his 100 yard "killer Ravin crossbow " l politely walked away to do an important phone call...l was being mature...I think.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.