Crazy Crossbow speeds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Crazy Crossbow speeds

Post by nchunterkw »

Companies are chasing the dollar and speed is what sells. If they made a slower, absolutely bullet proof crossbow, that would last 20 years, they would sell a limited qty to a niche market and never have to service or do anything so the bottom line would be small, but the development cost wouldn't be all that different.

I'm with Boo. 500fps might be neat to try....but all the headaches it would create would NEVER outweigh any advantage it would give you. In fact I can't even think of any useful advantage it would give you. Maybe trajectory so you could have 1 aim point out to 30yards?

100yard crossbow? I'm pretty sure my arrows out of my Micro would completely blow through a deer at 100 yards right now. Of course it would look like I shot it from a treestand even though I was on the ground....HA! Makes me wonder what the flight angle of my arrow would be at that distance.

Of course you could really load up a 500fps crossbow with a 1000grain arrow and REALLY have lots of momentum. (thats for you Boo :D )
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Someone will shoot 350 grains, or whatever the manufacturer specifies as the "minimum" weight, and throw debris all over the forest floor! :eusa-think:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:17 pm
longbow joe wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:10 pm
To each his own we on the forum have proven over and over for years that a 300 fps can kill deer and the like.
Ask a ravin owner how his bow is doing after 10 years of service as our excaliburs have.
10 years later he'll be on his second Excalibur
YES SIR!! :thumbup:
Been there!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Why wouldn't a 500 ft/sc crossbow be much more capable of extending the ethical range of a crossbow. Most of us limit our shots to 35 - 40 yards with our Excaliburs. It seems that an arrow would hit at 55 or 60 yards at about the same time with the faster bow as it would at 40 yards with my 350. A hunter on a field edge would be able to comfortably take longer shots and kill deer. It's kind of like comparing a 30-30 to a .270. Both are lethal, but one is just more capable at longer ranges.

The problem is that the increased speed destroys the reasons that bowhunters have much longer seasons than firearms hunters. A reverse draw compound crossbow with a sophisticated scope mounted on it that shoots at 500 ft per second - could hardly be considered primitive. When deer numbers decline in a state (for whatever reason) people will start to blame the newer more efficient crossbows. That could result in reduced opportunities.
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

grouse wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:20 am
Why wouldn't a 500 ft/sc crossbow be much more capable of extending the ethical range of a crossbow. Most of us limit our shots to 35 - 40 yards with our Excaliburs. It seems that an arrow would hit at 55 or 60 yards at about the same time with the faster bow as it would at 40 yards with my 350. A hunter on a field edge would be able to comfortably take longer shots and kill deer. It's kind of like comparing a 30-30 to a .270. Both are lethal, but one is just more capable at longer ranges.

The problem is that the increased speed destroys the reasons that bowhunters have much longer seasons than firearms hunters. A reverse draw compound crossbow with a sophisticated scope mounted on it that shoots at 500 ft per second - could hardly be considered primitive. When deer numbers decline in a state (for whatever reason) people will start to blame the newer more efficient crossbows. That could result in reduced opportunities.
Here in Indiana the Traditionalists, hahaha cried a river when the DNR made crossbows legal for the entire season, we don't need to rock the cart here! :eusa-deadhorse:
Boo

Post by Boo »

grouse wrote:

Time of flight will dictate and increased range. If you are happy with a 30 yard maximum, the at twice the speed, you are just as capable at 60 yards.
I absolutely agree on what extreme speeds destroy. The only problem is what is that speed limit and how do we go about determining it?
My biggest issue stems from what Bill T said, it isn’t a matter of how fast, it’s a matter of how long it’s fast. If you read Tenpoint’s warranty, the limbs have a 5 yr warranty. In our world here, that is short!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

grouse wrote:

Unfortunately, it is beyond our control. The push for increasing crossbow sales and the quest to stay one step ahead of the competition is driving the speed fever. Eventually I think this will eliminate crossbows from being permitted during archery season. Don't want to be a doomsayer but I hear the rumblings around some deer camps already. I hope I am wrong.

An example is the Wildlife Refuge I hunt. No muzzleloaders allowed except Flintlocks. So, during muzzle loading season inline muzzleloaders are not considered primitive firearms and are prohibited. Not a far reach to prohibiting fast crossbows with hi tech scopes.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:57 am

Time of flight will dictate and increased range. If you are happy with a 30 yard maximum, the at twice the speed, you are just as capable at 60 yards.
But a deer 60 yards away does not react like a deer 30 yards away. I'd argue I could ethically shoot deer at 60 right now. Many on here have killed deer at 50yards

But you hit it before Boo......the speed enhances any little tiny error in the arrow. You guys know how hard it is to get a good arrow now at 60 or 100 yards.......add 150fps and the issue of making an arrow that could be accurate at 60 or 100 yards is super amplified.

Maybe if you are hunting elephants................oh wait, Bill T killed one of those with his old long limber..........
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Like alot of products we have endless choices if we have the long dollar. Lol

If it doesn't appeal to you don't buy it...

I took delivery of a new truck in July. Another ram Warlock. :)

But I really wanted a TRX but I was short of about $100,000.00... :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
grouse

Post by grouse »

Boo wrote:
grouse wrote:

I absolutely agree on what extreme speeds destroy. The only problem is what is that speed limit and how do we go about determining it?
My biggest issue stems from what Bill T said, it isn’t a matter of how fast, it’s a matter of how long it’s fast. If you read Tenpoint’s warranty, the limbs have a 5 yr warranty. In our world here, that is short!
With respect to the to the increased range 500 fps adds, I think we are saying the same thing with different words. When I said the two arrows would arrive at different distances at the same time, I was referring to time of flight. The base distance I used was 40 yards with at 350 fps which calculates to 57.2 yards with a 500 fps bow.

On establishing a speed limit... I despise the idea. It would be like New York's silly 200 lb max. Still, we need to be part of the decision if one has to be made. Otherwise, the limit will be set by people who know nothing about crossbows or by people who want to see them banned altogether. Therefore, I would suggest 410 fpc @ 350 gr.
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:18 pm
Like alot of products we have endless choices if we have the long dollar. Lol

If it doesn't appeal to you don't buy it...

I took delivery of a new truck in July. Another ram Warlock. :)

But I really wanted a TRX but I was short of about $100,000.00... :)

Electric?? There’s no way I’m paying anything close to that for any truck, well maybe an electric Toyota! :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

grouse wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:26 pm
Boo wrote:
grouse wrote:

With respect to the to the increased range 500 fps adds, I think we are saying the same thing with different words. When I said the two arrows would arrive at different distances at the same time, I was referring to time of flight. The base distance I used was 40 yards with at 350 fps which calculates to 57.2 yards with a 500 fps bow.

On establishing a speed limit... I despise the idea. It would be like New York's silly 200 lb max. Still, we need to be part of the decision if one has to be made. Otherwise, the limit will be set by people who know nothing about crossbows or by people who want to see them banned altogether. Therefore, I would suggest 410 fpc @ 350 gr.
I was in agreement. I really don’t like any limitations on bows. But it is difficult at best to draw a line without being arbitrary and uninforcable. How do we all come to agreement on a lot of subjects based on hard facts and not feelings? We need to first protect our quarry from stupidity but really, that’s a nonstarter. Regardless of speed, idiots will take a 100 yard shot because of some marketing “genius”. What we need is education including practical education to show that to the potential offender. So I think it all has to start by clamping down on marketing and social media where most of the stupidly comes from. Hunting is a privilege, not a right.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I was a rather serious and dedicated muzzle loader hunter when we lived in Saskatchewan (many many moons ago).
Along came the inlines. I bought in with a Knight Master Hunter shooting pyrodex and saboted 45 caliber pills from a 50 caliber.
Deadly out to 200 yards in the right hands.

It was shortly thereafter that those seasons (used to be Shogun, Archery, Muzzleloader) were modified such that the Muzzleloaders (no longer considered "primitive") were herded out, then into Regular Rifle Seasons only.

I fear that these latest developments with crossbows are following that same trend.
And further that we may see the day when we can no longer use our Excal's in Regular Archery Seasons.
I would absolutely detest that development. :(
But if they keep pushing the limits, I have a very valid concern that may end up being what happens...

Hoping I am wrong... But...

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

IronNoggin wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:35 pm
I was a rather serious and dedicated muzzle loader hunter when we lived in Saskatchewan (many many moons ago).
Along came the inlines. I bought in with a Knight Master Hunter shooting pyrodex and saboted 45 caliber pills from a 50 caliber.
Deadly out to 200 yards in the right hands.

It was shortly thereafter that those seasons (used to be Shogun, Archery, Muzzleloader) were modified such that the Muzzleloaders (no longer considered "primitive") were herded out, then into Regular Rifle Seasons only.

I fear that these latest developments with crossbows are following that same trend.
And further that we may see the day when we can no longer use our Excal's in Regular Archery Seasons.
I would absolutely detest that development. :(
But if they keep pushing the limits, I have a very valid concern that may end up being what happens...

Hoping I am wrong... But...

Nog
Just a matter of time. Sometimes people are their own worst enemy.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 am
I personally have found that increasing speed has an affect on accuracy. Especially with broadheads.
And not a good affect!