One last Swhack

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Patcon

Re: One last Swhack

Post by Patcon »

Unseasonably warm for South Carolina right now. Normally needs some cold weather gear for this time of year
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
ODH

Post by ODH »

A great way to end the season. Congrats!
lituani

Post by lituani »

Great story to accompany a great shot. Congrats on a terrific harvest.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Mark just curious are you using the yellow or white bands 🤔 and do you double or single band?
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:25 am
Mark just curious are you using the yellow or white bands 🤔 and do you double or single band?
Joe I can't answer for Mark, but I shoot the same 2" cut Swhacker he does out of my Micro 355. I use a single yellow band. Never...knock on wood, have I had any problems. I do replace the bands on the heads that have been sitting in my quiver after about 90 days. I get the bands off eBay for nothing. :wink:
I keep a small baggie of these bands in my arrow cases and one in my backpack. And I replace as needed. :wink: Hunting here in Texas, the heat and humidity can be a real killer. :eusa-doh:
I've been shooting the 2' cut for long time. I've had great results.

Hope this helps!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flinthead wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:44 pm
longbow joe wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:36 pm
Awsome mark....congratulations that vortex is Awsome but l see you figured that out..already...l was freezing my but off in the ghosblind this afternoon your dressed like your going to myrtle beach!
:lol: :lol: It was 73 degrees today when I got to my stand... 8) 8)

As I type this it's 9:46 and it's still 65 degrees...
Went yesterday, the 1st, it was 77 degrees at 17:30. Today at 11:30a it's 26 degrees!!!!
Welcome to Texas!! :lol:

And BTW Mark...like the hat!!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:25 am
Same as AJ, Joe... I use the single yellow bands and replace those at the beginning of each season. Those green 100 grain 2" cut Swhacks are just plain killers!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:37 pm
flinthead wrote:
longbow joe wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:36 pm
Awsome mark....congratulations that vortex is Awsome but l see you figured that out..already...l was freezing my but off in the ghosblind this afternoon your dressed like your going to myrtle beach!

Went yesterday, the 1st, it was 77 degrees at 17:30. Today at 11:30a it's 26 degrees!!!!

Thanks brother!! It's 70 today and tomorrows high is going to be 48... :wtf:
Our deer season went out yesterday... I guess I'll get the feeder loaded up and going on my hog stands!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flinthead wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:51 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:37 pm
flinthead wrote:

Thanks brother!! It's 70 today and tomorrows high is going to be 48... :wtf:
Our deer season went out yesterday... I guess I'll get the feeder loaded up and going on my hog stands!!
Yeppers, ours ends at sundown today! I keep a "hog feeder" running on another place year round. It's got so many of the blasted things on it I haven't seen a deer on camera on that place in over 6 months!!! Got some MONSTERS on it too!!

Y'all take care!!!
AJ
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I killed about 7 deer with them every last one died within a reasonable distance and no band issues using a yellow band out of my micro or matrix 330 but the pennitration was not a passthrough in about 3/4 of the kills as with other heads.
2 years ago l used the hybrid type and killed 2 nice buck with the vixen but only one pass through but both deer went only about 70 yards.
I really like them no denying they work but the swat A-4 has even more blade area ,almost twice the blade cut and l get a pass thru every time with even the vixen maby that's just bad luck on my part not downing them just stating my experience that's all.
The superfreaks were like a giant swhacker also but in my opinion need at least a 355 to work on big game to their pennitration potential .A very poor pennitrating head but very deadly on turkey with any bow.
My non professional opinion is that the 4 bladed swat is dividing the energy up aiding in pennitration don't know.
I still believe in the large cut of any large expandable regardless of brands especially on a sub par hit.
Last 5 years l really try for the quartering away shot and sometimes l end up hitting bone l also have to factor this in also its not like a simple double lung shot either.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Yep… I think the 2” Swhacker needs a bow in the 290-300 fps and above range for a complete pass through (arrow on or in the ground on the other side) with an average weight hunting arrow (say 400 grains or so). I’m an Exo guy, so my Phoenix worked great with them and my Vortex worked even better… my average arrows are somewhere around 425 grains. The guys shooting the newer faster bows will have no issues I’m sure. Any bone contact obviously slows progress…
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Exit Wound :wtf:

I think ya gotta be above that 300 fps in my uneducated guess-stamation also! :lol:
Of course opinions are like another part of the human anatomy... we all have one!! :mrgreen: :lol:

WELL... we all know mechanicals use part of thier speed/energy to open. That's what sometimes slows them down to the point where reliable "pass thru's", just don't happen like we want them to do!! Also the BIGGER the cut, the more energy is expended!!

I've even shot the 3" cut Swhackers for a time. And even with the 355, complete pass thru's dropped to about 85-90% of the time. That's why I went back to the 2" cuts. I have NOT had a single shot so far NOT pass completely thru the deer. KNOCK ON WOOD!!! :eusa-shhh:

Now Notice I said DEER...not Hogs. I don't shoot hogs are other big uglies with expandables!! :eusa-snooty: Deer sized critters, you bet!! :thumbup:
Would I shoot a Black Bear with a 2" Swhacker? I'd think long and hard about it. But probably not. Elk or Moose? Nope. Fixed blades all day long!! And a "heavier" arrow combo!! :eusa-think: Something in the 450g range. :wink:

To borrow a line from Clint Eastwood...."A man's gotta know his limitations"!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Y'all be careful out there!! Take someone hunting or fishing!!
And Thank GOD for the "Great Outdoors"!! :wave:
AJ
Last edited by AJ01 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

As l said even with the non pass thru the broadhead killed fast and did its job no doubt about them .
I still have 3 of the hybrids left and intend to use them.
I enjoy experimenting and trying different broadheads it keeps things interesting for me... too bad these things are so expensive especially to torture test.
Just about every modern expandable l experiment with flys pretty much like a field point in general especially on a windy day.l can say that and accuracy is very important on the list of broadhead musts.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

As I posted on my buck from this year... this was the 2" Swhacker exit. I would say my Phoenix is shooting around 285-290 fps with a 440 grain Lumen Arrow... it zipped through him pretty fast though cutting ribs in and out. I think the 175# bows (Phoenix, Ibex, Axiom, etc.) are the bottom of the acceptable power range for the wider cut heads (sorry... told you I was an Exo guy :wink: :wink: it's still 2008 to me when it comes to Excalibur's).
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:07 pm
As l said even with the non pass thru the broadhead killed fast and did its job no doubt about them .
I still have 3 of the hybrids left and intend to use them.
I enjoy experimenting and trying different broadheads it keeps things interesting for me... too bad these things are so expensive especially to torture test.
Just about every modern expandable l experiment with flys pretty much like a field point in general especially on a windy day.l can say that and accuracy is very important on the list of broadhead musts.
Joe I coudn't agree with ya more!!
These days EVERYTHING cost too dang much!! Several years ago I got a very good deal on a bunch of the 2" cut Swhackers. Then fooled around and picked up a couple of packs of replacement blades.
I know have a FEW!!!! :wtf: :lol:

When I 1st got a bunch of these, I took a pack and shot some crazy things with them, including a 55 gallon barrel!! Suckers made it thru BOTH sides of the barrel!! :shock: Mind you it was only filled with air!! :lol: I also pulled the old standard test of shooting plywood with them. Punching thru 3/4" plywood was no sweat, even at a pretty sharp angle.
(I couldn't resist doing my Hank Parker impersonation)!!! :eusa-shhh: :wink:
And this was done using standard Quill arrows/bolts with aluminum inserts up front. I did NOT use my good BEE's!! :lol: :lol:

The only draw back is that the barrel of the long nose piece can bend on really hard objects. The Nose Cone itself is hardened steel. The barrel that houses the blades is made of aircraft grade aluminum, so it will bend. I've seen testing where they shoot these things into cinder blocks. I don't think even the shoulder bone on an Elk or Moose is that tough!!! :D :lol: :eusa-snooty: However... I might be wrong!!! :eusa-doh:
I'm actually thinking about using these on a Nilgai Antelope hunt in 2022. Nilgai are known to be tough and can weigh up to about 600 pounds.
If I don't use the Swhackers, it will be a 150g fixed blade that gets launched!! :thumbup:

Do I think they are the "Perfect Broadhead"? Nope. I really don't. But until someone invents a broadhead that expands and performs like a rifle bullet on impact, I guess I'll keep using them on Deer sized critters until I run out of them!! :wink:
I think as bowhunters we will always be looking for the "next best thing" in broadheads. Sometimes we just need to "dance with the one we brung"!! :lol: :eusa-dance: :lol: :mrgreen:

Broadheads are like pretty girls. Everyone of them might be a little "flashy" in one way or another, but only one makes your heart flutter!!! :lol:

Just the rambling thoughts and opinions of an Old East Texas Redneck!!
Y'all be safe out there!! :thumbup:
AJ