Swamp Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Swamp Hunt

Post by ko4nrbs »

Well haven't been able to get out because of rain and getting ready for trip to Florida. The weather leading up to Monday looks like an excellent opportunity. It will be my last chance to hunt before the trip. Temperature is dropping a lot and I am guessing the bad weather has had the deer locked down in the thickets. My only concern is if it is flooded too much to get into my spot. I am going to try because I found a really good ridge that runs between the two sloughs where I killed the spike that is well above the water level. Will probably need hip waders but that is what separates the swamp hunters from the dryland hunters!! I just hope I'm up for the task. The North wind will blow my scent out over the river and away from the deer's bedding areas. I hope the big buck I saw in there is still around.

Sun 02 | Night
28°
41% Snow Showers
Wind North/Northwest 16 mph
Snow showers before midnight. Becoming partly cloudy later. Low 28F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 40%.

Monday 03 Day
44°
4% chance of rain showers
Winds North 9 mph
Abundant sunshine. High 44F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Re: Swamp Hunt

Post by longbow joe »

Hunting is terrible here blue tounge really took its toll I'm seeing doe and have tags but with the blue tounge deaths l feel guilty shooting any more somethings got to reproduce more deer.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Good luck to you Bill. Season ends here on 1/9/22 and hoping the cooler weather that is coming will get them moving this week here as well, I may have passed on too many this year :eusa-doh:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:07 pm
Hunting is terrible here blue tounge really took its toll I'm seeing doe and have tags but with the blue tounge deaths l feel guilty shooting any more somethings got to reproduce more deer.
This is off the Alabama Wildlife department's web site. Thankfully I have not heard anything about it this year.

Distribution of Disease
HD is not distributed uniformly throughout the range of white-tailed deer. States at more northern latitudes do not have outbreaks as often, but when HD does appear, infection and mortality are most often severe. Most states in the Deep South, including Alabama, have outbreaks virtually every year, but the severity is most often minimal, or even unapparent, in most years. This lack of outbreak severity indicates there may be at least some level of natural resistance to HD’s impacts on southern deer populations.

Evidence of HD has been documented in 66 of Alabama’s 67 counties. Reports of HD activity are typically received from 15-25 counties each year. Reports range from evidence of HD exposure in hunter killed deer (e.g., sloughing hooves, etc.) to localized mortality events in late summer/early fall.

Significance
HD is a common disease of white-tailed deer throughout Alabama, with evidence of virus activity showing up annually. Fortunately, the severity of these events is usually minimal, with very few deer mortalities resulting from virus exposure.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35