My 2021 deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

My 2021 deer

Post by one shot scott »

I miss deer season already. :( In my WMU we are allowed ONE tag. You can apply for the antlerless (which I did), but i had one tag to fill this season. No additional tags were offered after the draw. With this tag i could also hunt during the "controlled hunt" which permits shot gun or muzzle loader during one of two weeks. One week is the start of Nov and the other is Dec. I had been getting some nice deer pictures on my trail cams.

My season started off great! In one of my first few sits I saw A deer but he was too far and heading the other direction. On my next sit a decided to bring an electronic caller in addition to my wabi call. I was in my favorite deer blind located on what my buddy and i call the Island. Its a small portion of farm land in-between hardwoods and low swampy land. so small its no longer farmed so i made a rutabaga food plot in front of me. I have shot many deer from this stand, its gotta be at least 30ft high and it has to be because the tree its in is in a bit of a dip with hills going up on either side. So an hour into my sit i see a buck coming out of the swamp/bedding area and slowly away from me. I had my wabi call and made a grunt. he paused briefly but then continued walking away. Then i remembered the electronic caller. I fired a snort weeze and him and he stopped and looked my way again. I then played "buck fight" which is a series of grunts/weezes/antler rattles and this turned him around and headed my way. Now my stand is located on a tree edge and he took that edge to me but i couldnt figure out if he was going behind me in the woods or if he was following the treeline and going to end up infront of me.. I was hunting but i had the worst back pain of my life for the past month so turning from feild to woods to feild to woods again was excruciating. And to make things worse when i turned to face the woods I had 20 turkeys 15 yards infront of me with 2 bucks looking directly at me and that sucker was licking his snoz and was gonna bust any second! With my body contorted and shooting from within the Y of the tree i was in at the buck 20 yards away the 380 limb tip hit the size of the tree, tossing my arrow way off mark. Buck jumped but hung around for 30 seconds :shock: :shock: :shock: This was downwind!! He slowly walked away with his companion into the woods and towards my bud located in a tree-line on the other side of the woods. When the hunt was over my hunting partner said he managed to see at least 3 bucks running around him rattling antlers and getting all worked up but it was too far and getting too late to shoot. That was my early season swing and miss and i would have figured it would have been too early to play the snort wheeze but it never hurts to try...

The rest of October i did not see a single deer. They eluded me but my hunting partner was successful. The controlled hunt came around and I felt I wanted to "up my odds" and hunt with the rifled slug as much as possible. Crossbow is not an option during controlled hunt. I took more time off work than i usually do but i did not see a single deer. Saw a FRIGGEN HERD OF YOTES :shifty: moving thru a feild of beans i was hunting over one night.... = one less yote. but only one. dang.

Shotgun weeks is done, deer are eluding me but they are still on my cams. Bucks, does and yearlings. Im starting to get a bit discouraged but continue on sitting when i can telling myself "its called hunting and not grocery shopping for a reason" and i am honestly having fun. I enjoy being in the woods. BUT WHY CANT I SEE ANY #$&* DEER! lol Mid Nov i make my way out to the woods one afternoon and i see one of my target bucks following a doe on the far side of a field. I tuck myself into the woods so they dont spot me and watch them go into the swamp area infront of my island stand so i figure if i go thru the woods to the the island stand i may have a shot at either the buck or doe. I climb and wait approx half an hour until I see movement in the swamp. its the buck and hes walking directly towards me. He climbs a slight incline and is now on the island upwind and grazing 45yards away from me.. but he is facing me...scopes on him and hes gonna do one of three things: 1 go back the way he came, 2 turn slight left and go to woods giving mew a 45y broadside, or 3 continue straight and come directly infront of my stand offering me a 20 yard broadside. Lucky for me he offers me the 20y shot. Buck runs 30 and pauses, looks towards me and then takes off again and i loose sight of him at approx 100 yards.

He fell when i last saw him @100. I tracked him and found this

The happy hunter (wearing a fancy covid mask) and the buck nick-named crabby. That is the exit wound
Last edited by one shot scott on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Re: My 2021 deer

Post by Boo »

Nice buck Neil! Congratulations buddy!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Great tick toter congrats on getting him
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
roly

Post by roly »

Congrats Neil on a great buck
Persistence pays off, good job.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Beauty! Congrats
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great buck congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

That’s a nice big buck!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Really nice buck and a great story!
axiom
350 SE
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hi Neil, I can count on one hand the number of times my limb hit the tree when I did not calculate quite right. The deer just don't seem to like that much.
Suppose working on cars for a living isn't the easiest on ones back. Every time I work on my own my back complains anbd that is only after a short period. Some kind of special gymnastics required to work on cars.

Cheers on you good buck buddy!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Great job! NIce buck!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Beauty buck!

I had the opposite season. No deer with the bow then I shoot a buck at 30 yards with my muzzleloader! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That’s a great buck, congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

That's a dandy piece of backstrap you have there!! Congrats!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow great Buck a real bruiser !
What did that deer dress out at ?
Congratulations.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

For only one deer tag, you certainly couldn't have gotten your money's worth much better than that. You got a lot of hunting time and a beauty of a buck to boot. Congrats!
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: