2022 Hunting season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

2022 Hunting season

Post by Boo »

So what did you learn that will change what you will do during this hunting season? Did you make any mistakes that you won't do this coming hunting season?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Re: 2022 Hunting season

Post by longbow joe »

That you have deer out the wazoo usually but blue tounge and cwd can come along and literally wipe out an unbelievable resource and healthy heard just like that.
Hunt while you can because mother nature can take em away real fast.
These diseases were all around us but for some reason never hit my area but now it's real.
I saw a pretty decent buck Saturday but just couldn't shoot him.
Unless it's a true trophy im not gonna shoot, the herd needs to bounce back I'm not gonna hurt it more than what already has happened.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Have to spend more time scouting and getting trail cameras in place to set up in better locations this year.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m going to try to stay healthy and avoid accidents so I can get out to hunt.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I learned to never take private land permission for granted. Private land permission can be gone at any time. If you don't own it your at the mercy of the land owner. In my case it was the landowners son who ended it for me. :(

I will turn this negative in to a positive and pursue other hunting oportinities. Lol

Also I will never pass up a deer on the first day that I would absolutely kill on the last day...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I learned that in the struggle between bears and trail cameras, bears always win. The only solutions I have found to make cameras bear proof greatly minimize their ability to capture photos of deer which is the only reason they are deployed. I bought a bear tag this season and ate tag soup, but not for the lack of trying.

Also, the season isn't over until its over. If you have time for one more hunt, do it. If you're going to the woods during the season for any reason, be prepared to harvest a deer because sometimes luck is unavoidable.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

I need to pick a better spot for my ladder stand and ground blind…trouble is in the small area I hunt the wind usually comes from the wrong direction. I’m not a tree climber at 72 so some changes and some heavy brushing in is needed…that and scent mitigation.
The peak rut is my best chance at a nice buck and I need to be out there as much as possible. Maybe some heated clothing…
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Not complaining about my season too much . Any day out is a treasure . It is a added bonus to spend it with family .
But !!! A spot me and Dad found years ago I just never pursued it because there was always easier spots to hunt . This year I made the effort to go there again and almost connected . It is a spot that if you dropped a large buck you darn near have to quarter it out . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Normous

Post by Normous »

This fall I spent about 25 days in the field deer hunting and hunted in cold and rainy weather more than I wanted to. The value of good clothing is very important the way I see it.

I have a problem twisting my ankles on uneven ground and blame my weak ankles and poor supportive boots for this issue. Walking with a load and limp is uncomfortable .

For 22 I plan to purchase 2 pairs of KENETREK boots which are the best supportive boots that I have ever tried on. They with 3 offerings, uninsulated , 400 gram Thinsulate and 1000 gr Thinsulate.
I'll go 400 and 1000 gram in 22.

Kenetrek boots are not cheap by any means but I have added them to the top of my list to remain injury free and keep me walking afield for a long time.Image
Last edited by Normous on Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I learned I need to be able to range the deer myself, and not rely on remembering pre-ranged objects or rely on the person sitting with me, if any. This has never been a problem for me in years past, but this new place I'm now able to hunt every other weekend is pretty much all woods hunting, no food plots, and I'm sitting in a different/new/unfamiliar spot almost every time out. I'm not physically able to range a deer fast enough in a hunting situation, so I'm going to give a Vendetta type setup a try first. I know the Oracle X is probably the scope I need, but hard to justify that kind of $$.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I will wait for the size/ class bucks I want and pass on anything smaller. That paid off this year. I used to shoot anything decent.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

I still shoot anything decent… in SC if you see a buck you want to shoot, you better shoot him. There is just not enough continuous land to trophy manage… someone down the road will kill him! I killed three doe and a good buck with my Excals this year… pretty happy!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:53 pm
I’m going to try to stay healthy and avoid accidents so I can get out to hunt.
Same here. Last year I didn’t go deer hunting due to severe back pains and I don’t want to go through that again! So I didn’t go deer hunting last fall as I hunt by myself but I did go turkey and geese. This year 2022 I’ll be in better shape as I’m doing some back strengthening exercises so as Arnold Schwarzenegger said “ I’ll be back! ” :lol:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

In the Wildlife refuge I made a big mistake by not having my decoy out and also forgot my grunt call. A very nice buck walked parallel to me at 70 yards in the thick stuff and if I my decoy had been deployed, I may have been able to grunt him in. I won't make that mistake anymore.

In the Wilderness area my cameras will be hung up in the trees about 12 feet, so I don't sour the area. The big bucks do not like intrusions of any kind I have learned. In addition, I will not try to see what's over the next hill. The terrain is so steep I end up wearing myself out pretty quick and couldn't get the deer out anyway. The plan is to focus on the flat top of a ridge I found that was covered up with rubs and scrapes. It's fairly close to the main hiking trail and no one else was hunting it. If I concentrate on this spot, I should be able to get a shot at the big buck I got a pic of.

In both areas I will scout for spots I can hunt based on wind direction. I must expand my options, so the wind is always in my favor.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
roly

Post by roly »

I learned that the deer numbers for my area are down more than 50%, and will likely be worse for 2022
And that I refuse to cheat on our current tagging system which I feel is contributing to the problem in my area, so I have to consider even hunting next season.
I can’t believe the MNR did not see this coming.