Wild Game Cooking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Re: Wild Game Cooking

Post by IronNoggin »

PaulSpain wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:46 pm
Nog from what you say, I understand one thing... The smoker, in addition to smoking... It also cooks, right?
To an extent.
You bring the smoker up to a certain temperature over time which does lightly cook the product.
The smoke goes in at that heat, and does a little of the same.

The hot water bath is what "cooks" the product to the final desired temperature.
Then of course it is immediately cooled in ice water.

Tremendous Munchies!!

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Was asked to post this, so...

Polish Hunter Sausage

Ingredients

20 pounds ground pork

5 lbs ground deer

Total 25 Pounds - Note can increase the amount of deer, but never go over 1/3 of that overall.

6 Tblsp salt

2 Tblsp Prague Cure # 1

4 Tblsp Ground Black Pepper

8 Tblsp Fresh Chopped Garlic

4 Tblsp Garlic Powder

3 Tblsp Ground Juniper Berries

8 Tblsp Marjoram

3/4 bag Yellow Mustard Seed

4 Tblsp Coriander Seed

4 Cups Ice Water

1/2 Mickey London Dry Gin

8 to 10 ounces Soy Binder

4 ounces powdered milk (binder)

Mix until "sticky" consistency.
Shoot into standard hog casings.

Put them into the smoker while you bring the heat up.
Smoke at medium heat.

Finish in Hot Bath to temp (155 is what I aim for internal temp).

Ice bath, then hang to bloom for at least 4 - 5 hours.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Fresh Bug Night:

Served up with 14 grain bread, a fresh gardens salad with avo's and a fine Shiraz:

DELICIOUS!!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Air Fried Stuffed Peppers:

Yummy!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Maple Bacon Wrapped Scallops & Oysters Rockefeller:

Served up with a fresh Garden Salad with Avo's & an Uber Fine Cabernet Sauvignon:

Superb!!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Comfort Food Time.

Some Brats I made up with my Buddy, Perogies with fried Onions & real Bacon, Real German Red Cabbage.

Stick to your bones goodness!

Cheers
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Corned Venison

Ran across this recipe.
Going to have to give it a whirl methinks:

https://honest-food.net/corned-venison-recipe/
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I usually do this same recipe in camp, but I wasn't on that hunt this year.
One of my Buddies generously thought of me and drug the cut home for me.

Moose Heart:

Stuffing:

Stuffed, into the clay baker and spiced:

Two hours at 325 and 20 minutes to rest:

Plated:

Then served with a fresh garden salad with Avos and a good Merlot:

Very tender, mild (young moose) and very juicy!

Cheers
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Picked up some damn bug on the trip back east & feeling right poorly.

Was already digging out a jar of my canned homemade chicken stew...

Then a Good Buddy called: I'm just back from the Sound & have prawns, crabs, oysters & clams sitting here with your name on them..

So a different kind of "Comfort Food" coming up it seems...
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

IronNoggin wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:31 pm
Matt,
I hope ya get to feeling better. Maybe is was something ya ate!! :lol: :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Took on the crabs & prawns last night.
The other shellfish soon...

Served up with Basmati topped with a special mix of Spicy Thai & Spring Rolls Sauce, dipping garlic butter, and a great Merlot:

Cheers,
Nog