Wild Game Cooking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Wild Game Cooking

Post by janesy »

I just preheated the oven for a couple of Delicio's. They are gonna be served on their box top, folded flat of course. I prefer direct on the grill, for a crispy crust.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

She Who Rules had to work late last night, so something relatively quick & simple was called for.

Monster Whitetail Burgers was the obvious answer:

And yeah, they are sitting on full sized dinner plates!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Post by janesy »

Nice!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Valentine's Day Fondue.

Lamb, Free Range Chicken, Whitetail Tenderloin & Free Range Pork Tenderloin:

And a little hint of silliness to set the mood:

T'was a wonderful evening all round!

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Fresh Oysters smoked on the BarBee:

Served with thin sliced cheesy garlic toast (to mop up the sauces left in each half shell), air fried lemon / garlic spot prawns, a fresh garden salad and a very fine red:

One of our Favorites around here.

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Found this on another site. Have yet to try it out, but it looks to be a winner so thought I should share here...

Goose Legs:

For prep - i just split the drumstick off the thigh of two skinned out goose legs. Thinking chicken wing sort of sized. On one i did the remove the tendons trick with the foot, but turned out to be unnecessary, so you can skip that step.

Steps:
1. in a vacuum bag put in the goose legs, a knob of butter, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, pepper, and some maple syrup. seal and put in your sous-vide. or in my case, poor man's sous-vide, my slow cooker on "keep warm" filled with water. it hovered around 170-180 degrees F the whole time. perfect.

2. let the goose legs cook for a while. I left mine in for 5-6 hours, but you could leave them a bit longer if needed. this is probably about the sweet spot.

3. take out the goose and prep a batter. i did mine tempura style, just wanting it to be a thin crispy coating. 50/50 flour and corn starch, with water until its thinner than a crepe batter.

4. coat and deep fry the legs until the batter is golden brown. remember, the legs are cooked, this is just for the crispy factor.

5. meanwhile, in another pan prep your sweet 'n spicy sauce: I used buck wheat honey, butter, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and a water/corn starch mix to sauce it all up.

6. after your legs come out of the oil (1-2 min), let them drain. then coat in the sauce.

7. serve with garnish, and wait for complaints of not making enough.

I will be saving all my goose legs in the future for this to do a bigger batch. this will work well with grouse legs too, and of course duck wings.

You could substitute this Asian style recipe for your favourite chicken marinade (sous-vide step) and chicken wing sauce as well.

Will try soon and letcha know...

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:10 pm
3. take out the goose and prep a batter. i did mine tempura style, just wanting it to be a thin crispy coating. 50/50 flour and corn starch, with water until its thinner than a crepe batter.
Had a good buddy call last night just to inform me that if you use Soda Water instead of regular water in this step, the crust will turn out even crunchier. Nice.

Sometimes simple is very very satisfying:

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Last night was Lamb Feast night again:

To accompany, I made a rather rich sauce for the fresh pasta including Chanterelle Mushrooms, our own Garlic, our own Sun-dried Tomatoes, fresh Spinach and more:

Then whipped up a Dijon / Garlic / Olive Oil baste for the rack, and dropped it on the BarBee:

A short while later:

Served up with the fore-mentioned pasta (four cheese) and air fried Spare Gooses:

All quaffed down with a very fine French Merlot.

Enjoyable to say the least!

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I thought that in the interest of not completely losing the thread that started this whole she-bang, I'd link to it here:

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71331

Lots of great memories lurk over there...

Tonight we are going to have our last pheasant.
Stuffed & Clay Baked of course...

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Sunday was Pheasant night. Stuffed, seasoned and into the clay baker:

Slow roasted at 325 degrees for around 1.5 hours:

Crispy skin on the outside, tender, succulent and juicy inside.
Served up with it's own stuffing of course, and air fried Spare Gooses:

Excellent candlelight dinner for two!

Cheers!
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Bacon Wrapped Whitetail Medallions (Backstrap):

Served up with Asiago & Cracked Pepper Rice, and Turnips with Carrots steamed in white wine & butter:

Sure love our whitetails around here!

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

There is little more comforting on an unexpectedly snowy night than a steaming hot bowl of whitetail chili!

Cheers,
Nog
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Matt, you could open a wild game restaurant, and even possibly have your own TV show. Not only do all of the dishes look fantastic, you plate them very well indeed! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:32 pm
Matt, you could open a wild game restaurant, and even possibly have your own TV show. Not only do all of the dishes look fantastic, you plate them very well indeed! :thumbup:
x2 :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!