Wild Game Cooking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Re: Wild Game Cooking

Post by IronNoggin »

Happy Birthday to ME!!

Served up with three cheese fresh pasta with home made pasta sauce, and a thickly sliced Avo:

Wonderful Evening!

Cheers!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Stay Tuned...

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

IronNoggin wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Happy Birthday to ME!!

Served up with three cheese fresh pasta with home made pasta sauce, and a thickly sliced Avo:

Wonderful Evening!

Cheers!
Nog
This looks like an incredible meal Matt, real talent brother.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:39 pm
This looks like an incredible meal Matt, real talent brother.
Thank you kind Sir!! It was excellent!

Collected that lot pictured above from a Buddy. He is licensed for the Yelloweye Snapper as by-catch when he is targeting on the lings.

Fresh Yelloweye is THE Best white fleshed fish there is IMO:

It's consistency & flavour is much like that of crabs. Delicious!

So, processed that lot and saved a side of the largest Yelloweye for the BarBee. Complimented that with Asiago & Cracked Pepper Rice, and Air Fried Avocados:

Simply Divine!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Easter calls for ham. Smoked Bear Ham on the rotisserie that is:

Served up with Maple Candied Yams & Sweet Corn on the Cob:

Fine & Fitting Dinner for The Day!

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

A good buddy dropped off a huge bag of Manila & Butter Clams.
Soaked overnight in salt water to let them spit the grit.
Now wondering just what to toss in with some for din-din...

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Took a good handful of those wonderful clams, tossed them in a pot with a little white wine, butter and garlic. Steamed them lightly while prepping the compliments.

Spot Prawns on the BarBee:

Our first feed of the year from our own Spare Gooses:

Then added in some cheesy garlic toast to round things out:

All local, all fresh. Fantastic Munchies all round! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Today I find myself reporting on an experiment that didn't go quite as well as planned...

Ran into some Fiddleheads at the grocers the other day. My Lady & I love these things, and are used to steaming them with white wine, a little butter and a hint of lemon garlic. However, having had resounding success air frying asparagus, we thought perhaps that would work with these as well. Try as I might, I could not find any recipes to do that in any of my cookbooks nor online...

So we set out to try it on for ourselves, Cleaned and trimmed the fiddleheads:

Then lightly spray oiled them and added a touch of salt & pepper. Set aside while I prepped the whitetail sirloin tenders for the grill:

While those were wrapping up to medium rare (accent on the rare thanks) the fiddleheads went into a pre-warmed air fryer at 360 degrees for 3 minutes. They needed a little more, so a good shake then back at the same heat for 2 minutes to finish.

Served up with Cheesy Spinach Dip Pasta and a good red:

The whitetail was brilliant, and the pasta very good too.
However the fiddleheads left something to be desired. In order to be thoroughly cooked they dried out more than I would have liked, leaving them with an almost "leathery" texture. The flavor was great, kind of nutty actually. But given their consistency I will not be repeating that experiment again.

Lesson learned. Guess there was a reason I could not find any recipes do do this. Hope others will benefit from this discovery...

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Managed to get it right this time around...

Cleaned & Trimmed:

Gently steamed for 4 or 5 minutes in white wine & lightly salted water.
Then quickly tossed through a hot frying pan of butter, a smidge of white wine & lemon garlic:

Same time that was working, right beside it was a pan of prawns in the same kind of butter base:

And the air fryer was working on breaded Calamari,while the stove looked after cheesy garlic toast:

The fiddleheads certainly looked a heck of a lot better:

Served up with Tzatziki sauce and a fine Merlot:

The fiddleheads were excellent in flavor with nice subtle crunch.
MUCH Better!!

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

If one pound of AAA Alberta Prime is good, then two pounds must be better!!

Seasoned & on the BarBee:

While that was charring, I cut our second harvest of Spare Gooses and tossed them in the air fryer (a mist of oil, salt & pepper):

A quick cut - yep done just right:

Then served up with Cheddar Chipotle Pasta & a fine Shiraz:

Dinner is served...

Thank You Alberta!!
Nog
artifact

Post by artifact »

Darn, everything you make looks absolutely delicious!
We have wild asparagus all over in our area and look forward to harvesting some every year.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

artifact wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:16 pm
Darn, everything you make looks absolutely delicious!
We have wild asparagus all over in our area and look forward to harvesting some every year.
Thank you for the nice words!!

Nothing better than fresh wild Spare Gooses!
o much better flavor than anything you can buy! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
artifact

Post by artifact »

Yes, way better flavor.
I knew where there was a plant that produced spears as thick as your index finger and tender as heck, they built a kids baseball field over where it was at and it is no longer there, made me want to cry when I lost that one.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

As usual, looks great Matt. I love cooking too, but don't do much wild game except whitetail, and the expected dishes. I think to date my two best venison items are jerky, and stuffed green peppers. :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Maple Bacon Wrapped Whitetail (Eye of Round):

Excellent!!