Broadhead Analysis

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flinthead

Broadhead Analysis

Post by flinthead »

This is the 100 grain Swhacker from my last hunt of the season, a 110 lb. doe that was facing me at the shot. The arrow entered around the middle of her neck and the broadhead was found lodge in the base of her spine... as you might suspect, she dropped like a rock and died in 10 seconds. So... based on that information and these pictures what do you think happened with this broadhead?? Did it work properly as Swhackers are designed?? I have a theory, but I'll wait for ya'll... :wink:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Riflemanz

Re: Broadhead Analysis

Post by Riflemanz »

Most of the mechanical heads are 1 time use. The broadhead did its job!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Normous

Post by Normous »

Probably a small entrance hole as noted by those using Swhacker mechanicals.

If it dropped like a rock the doe probably didn't require a second shot after the first neck spine shot as not all deer hit in the spine die right away due temporary paralysis.

Due to the rather long ferule the tip bent hitting the spine it appears.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I'd have to see the wound channel to confirm, but that almost looks like a failure to open. It was effective, but a field point may have been just as effective for the shot placement (spine hit). The reason I say failure to open is that the point most certainly shows impact (bone). If there was enough penetration for the blades to reach that same bone, then they certainly wouldn't look so neat and clean. The leading edges look like they only touched soft tissue, if anything. Either they didn't make it to the bone that stopped the arrow, or its possible they were never open.

All the blades that I've contacted bone with generally show their battle scars. If not dents/breaks, then certainly a rolled/dulled edge. The only scars on those are on the portion that's visible when they aren't deployed.

Are you thinking they were banded closed to tightly or stuck closed?
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:

Post by newbie »

Normous wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:59 pm
Probably a small entrance hole as noted by those using Swhacker mechanicals.

If it dropped like a rock the doe probably didn't require a second shot after the first neck spine shot as not all deer hit in the spine die right away due temporary paralysis.

Due to the rather long ferule the tip bent hitting the spine it appears.
Entrance
https://imgur.com/L8l1u8T

Exit
https://imgur.com/a/jlNZAlZ

Small entrance? Mind you this was a slight quarting away shot. Ive never had a small entrance with them. Ive used them exclusively for the last 6 years. All deer drooped in sight but one.

I double banded mine this year and they opened just fine. Maybe the ferrule bent locking it closed?

Do the blades move freely?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think that it is to be expected that the ferrule bent because it is long and slender. Better bent than broken. I would find it difficult to believe that the blades didn't open due to angle of the little kicker blades being so abrupt. I think the broadhead did it's intended job.
I had a Swat Crossbow Magnum hit a rib high up, then into the body and after travelling a few inches it demo'd the spine. Three blades bent (all 4 opened), none broken and the stout, high quality ferrule stayed straight and intact. I tried to bend the blades straight and as they came close to being straightened, they snapped. Perfect! The buck was devastated and stopped kicking in 20 seconds or so. I think if a broadhead makes a recoverable kill, it was good broadhead performance and the shorter the trail, the more successful it was. Of course, no 2 kills are identical.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:05 pm
I'd have to see the wound channel to confirm, but that almost looks like a failure to open. It was effective, but a field point may have been just as effective for the shot placement (spine hit). The reason I say failure to open is that the point most certainly shows impact (bone). If there was enough penetration for the blades to reach that same bone, then they certainly wouldn't look so neat and clean. The leading edges look like they only touched soft tissue, if anything. Either they didn't make it to the bone that stopped the arrow, or its possible they were never open.

All the blades that I've contacted bone with generally show their battle scars. If not dents/breaks, then certainly a rolled/dulled edge. The only scars on those are on the portion that's visible when they aren't deployed.

That's what I think Duck. My opinion is that the soft tissue of the deer's neck coupled with a short distance from initial impact to bone (maybe 8 inches or so) didn't provide enough resistance to deploy the main blades (they are still razor sharp) ... great thing is that the wing blades of the Swhacker have a single bevel grind and are sharp! It looks like the broadhead penetrated into the bone with the wing blades only making it a 1inch cut head. The more I think about how the broadhead responded in this situation, the more I like them!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

flinthead wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:00 pm
DuckHunt wrote:

That's what I think Duck. My opinion is that the soft tissue of the deer's neck coupled with a short distance from initial impact to bone (maybe 8 inches or so) didn't provide enough resistance to deploy the main blades (they are still razor sharp) ... great thing is that the wing blades of the Swhacker have a single bevel grind and are sharp! It looks like the broadhead penetrated into the bone with the wing blades only making it a 1inch cut head, which is fine by the way. The more I think about how the broadhead responded in this situation, the more I like them!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

flinthead wrote:
DuckHunt wrote:

That's what I think Duck. My opinion is that the soft tissue of the deer's neck coupled with a short distance from initial impact to bone (maybe 8 inches or so) didn't provide enough resistance to deploy the main blades (they are still razor sharp) ... great thing is that the wing blades of the Swhacker have a single bevel grind and are sharp! It looks like the broadhead penetrated into the bone with the wing blades only making it a 1inch cut head. The more I think about how the broadhead responded in this situation, the more I like them!!
If you have the hide somewhere, try shoving the broadhead past the kicker blades to see how much force is needed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

flinthead wrote:
That's the same reason I like the Truglo Titanium-X 4-blade. Its a 7/8" x 5/8" head if it doesn't open at all. 7/8" makes it legal everywhere I hunt. If it does open, its 1-3/4" x 1-1/8". It's nice to know that the broadhead is accurate and deadly whether it opens or not.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It's only an alluminum broadhead thin one too...it did its job why question it. 🤔
I love a straight on shot like that ....I'll go for the throat with a big expandable any day instead of the body .With the ghosblind a straight on shot is very common and the throat shot never fails but in my opinion a whimpy cut 11/8 fixed blade is not a good choice you need any big cut expandable for maximum damage.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:43 pm
It's only an alluminum broadhead thin one too...it did its job why question it. 🤔
I love a straight on shot like that ....I'll go for the throat with a big expandable any day instead of the body .With the ghosblind a straight on shot is very common and the throat shot never fails but in my opinion a whimpy cut 11/8 fixed blade is not a good choice you need any big cut expandable for maximum damage.
No questions for me Joe… I think it worked as perfect as could be!! Anytime a deer dies in it’s track with archery gear is a victory!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I shot a big buck one time it the chest years back with a compound and xx75 2216 after exiting it was bent in a total horseshoe ....never figured that one out but have the buck mounted ...forgot what became of that arrow.
I guess my point is "chit happens " it's all very interesting.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:08 pm
I shot a big buck one time it the chest years back with a compound and xx75 2216 after exiting it was bent in a total horseshoe ....never figured that one out but have the buck mounted ...forgot what became of that arrow.
I guess my point is "chit happens " it's all very interesting.
:lol: :lol: Good stuff!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

My biggest buck was the second deer I ever killed… shot him dead in the butt… 2213 arrow with a 90 grain four blade Muzzy was sticking two inches out of his rear hip… cut the femoral… a blind man could have found him.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads