Cellular trail cam review: WGI Encounter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Cellular trail cam review: WGI Encounter

Post by DuckHunt »

In my struggle with bears this last season, I learned a bit about a few camera brands. If you get the opportunity to purchase a WildGame Innovations Encounter cellular trail camera, take a pass. They are one of the cheaper available cellular trail cameras and it is for good reason. The only remotely available setting is the delay between photos. And locally, the only setting is the on/off switch. So, what you get is what you get and there's nothing you can do about it. I had six of them. One was unusable (previously sold/used, still activated on an account, therefore useless) and one died within an hour and never got deployed. Of the four that were deployed, one died within two weeks. The RMA process worked, but the deer season was long over before I got a replacement. Fortunately, they were out of the same model so I got to chose a different brand/model. My two calls to Customer support (1-RMA, 1-Bad billing) required 60-90 minute waits on hold, but they were very helpful once I was able to talk to someone.

The Encounter also takes a 6V external input instead of the 12V of most cameras. The external power jack is totally inaccessible as the product is shipped. The plastic case is made too far out away from the internal connector and the hole is too small as well. To make it usable, you have to break the seal (void the warranty) and remove the case to drill out an appropriately sized hole for the 6V connector. And since the hole is on the side of the camera, you don't want to go too big or water entry would become an issue.

I eventually had all of them powered by 12V external batteries with a 6V converter. None of them ever ran out of power. But that is mostly because they didn't take a whole lot of photos. In an area where they should take a few photos daily, these cameras didn't. One camera only took one photo in December and one in January in an area where it should have averaged more than a photo per day. So the sensor is below average in my opinion. And since you can't adjust the sensitivity, well, they just aren't a very useful camera. If the camera took a picture, the cellular portion did work and it got uploaded as long as it had an antenna.

The photo quality is average at best.

Sunday afternoon I took down all of my cameras except one, the RMA replacement which is a StealthCam Fusion X. I'll be leaving it up for about a month to gauge whether it will be worth redeploying in the fall. The Encounter cameras were a total bust to me. They are a cheaper, but it appears this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for. My only positive is that I got 6+ months of free service for deploying multiple cameras. So at least I didn't have to pay $1/photo for the few I did receive. :lol:

If you want a decent cellular camera, try the Tactacam Reveal SK. So far they've impressed me. But in comparison, I guess wouldn't take much to impress me.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Re: Cellular trail cam review: WGI Encounter

Post by janesy »

Unfortunately WGI tends to fall on the side of disappointment more often then not.

I do continue to have good luck with my Spypoints. Except the Bears in Parry Sound ripped off 6 antennas from 4 cameras, where as the Temagami bears don't seem to bother with them
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Yes..my first cams years ago were WGI (non cell) and they barely lasted one season…my only experience with cell is SPYPOINT and they have disappointed me ( too expensive and lousy signal)
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hillcountry wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:41 pm
Yes..my first cams years ago were WGI (non cell) and they barely lasted one season…my only experience with cell is SPYPOINT and they have disappointed me ( too expensive and lousy signal)
Try these... They get signal in the hills of Temagami where the factory antenna does not

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081BFZLTC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_FDT2PHT0RFSRPXFA15QE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

janesy wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:11 pm
Hillcountry wrote:
Try these... They get signal in the hills of Temagami where the factory antenna does not

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081BFZLTC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_FDT2PHT0RFSRPXFA15QE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Can you please tell me what these are? All I get from the link is Chinese jibberish for some reason (with one “Amazon” in English)😂😂😂
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hillcountry wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:50 am
janesy wrote:
Hillcountry wrote:

Can you please tell me what these are? All I get from the link is Chinese jibberish for some reason (with one “Amazon” in English)😂😂😂
It's a link to and item on Amazon. Copy and paste the jibberish :lol:

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

janesy wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:01 pm
Hillcountry wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:50 am
janesy wrote:

It's a link to and item on Amazon. Copy and paste the jibberish :lol:

Thanks!

Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
Hillcountry wrote:

Dont the squirrels and racoons destroy the cable? In Texas they would have a field day with it. Cable would have to be in flex or something to survive here. Looks like it should help though.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:28 pm
Unfortunately WGI tends to fall on the side of disappointment more often then not.

I do continue to have good luck with my Spypoints. Except the Bears in Parry Sound ripped off 6 antennas from 4 cameras, where as the Temagami bears don't seem to bother with them
You have had good luck with the Spypoint though? They are priced right .
janesy

Post by janesy »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:56 pm
janesy wrote:
Hillcountry wrote:

Dont the squirrels and racoons destroy the cable? In Texas they would have a field day with it. Cable would have to be in flex or something to survive here. Looks like it should help though.
No exposed cables unless you use the "cell link". I have one of those as well, and I've never had a problem. It no chance I would use them for Bear
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:58 pm
janesy wrote:

I have a few, and I manage about 20 for customers of mine. Old boys that don't do computers mainly. And they have all worked well. All my buddies use them with no issues as well
The trick is to used good batteries and change them before they get too low, the harder the camera has to search for a signal, the faster the batteries burn up. So choose your settings wisely. Use good quality SD cards and keep them updated as they need to be. And after an update make sure it connects and talks before you walk away.
I have had 2 of them from the bunch fail after a few years and they have both been replaced by Spypoints. One was my cell links.

So are they the best? No. Do they work, Yes! Are they completely plug and play brainless... No, but it's not a Motorola flip phone anymore. Maintain them, and they work.

Further, in Temagami over the years I have had 2 not connect, and both times the antenna was damaged and I didn't figure it out until I was back home. That's on me not the camera. Full disclosure, through my work I am a Spypoints dealer, but aside from some assistance on the photo packages one year, I do not get anything from them. I sell a few cases a year...There is absolutely no money in them LOL.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

janesy wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:22 pm
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:58 pm
janesy wrote:

I have a few, and I manage about 20 for customers of mine. Old boys that don't do computers mainly. And they have all worked well. All my buddies use them with no issues as well
The trick is to used good batteries and change them before they get too low, the harder the camera has to search for a signal, the faster the batteries burn up. So choose your settings wisely. Use good quality SD cards and keep them updated as they need to be. And after an update make sure it connects and talks before you walk away.
I have had 2 of them from the bunch fail after a few years and they have both been replaced by Spypoints. One was my cell links.

So are they the best? No. Do they work, Yes! Are they completely plug and play brainless... No, but it's not a Motorola flip phone anymore. Maintain them, and they work.

Further, in Temagami over the years I have had 2 not connect, and both times the antenna was damaged and I didn't figure it out until I was back home. That's on me not the camera. Full disclosure, through my work I am a Spypoints dealer, but aside from some assistance on the photo packages one year, I do not get anything from them. I sell a few cases a year...There is absolutely no money in them LOL.
ALSO! And this makes a huge difference. In Canada the cameras bounce between carriers and use whichever network is available and or stronger signal. Up until 2022 the US cameras were assigned to a carrier same as a cell phone is. If I recall correctly the camera could be updated to use a different carrier but it wouldn't bounce around. I believe the '22 models now operate differently ,but I've never taken the time to learn why.

For instance, my Friend took his from Canada down to Florida this year and it picked up and work on Verizon. But he bought 2 from DiCKs and neither would pick up and use a Canadian carrier once he crossed back over in January.

So I could completely understand why people in US have very different experiences with the same cameras across the country.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme