400TD problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

400TD problem

Post by DuckHunt »

Problem = Stopping one.

This is a Delta Mckenzie Crossbow Speedbag (SKU #70630) hit with a 400TD at 20 yards. Its rated for arrows up to 400fps.

Here's a 50 yard shot at a Glen Del buck. If you shoot at shorter distances, you'll hide the fletching.

If raw accurate power is what you seek, the 400TD has it in spades. Just be prepared to invest in quality backstops and arrow pullers.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Re: 400TD problem

Post by xcaliber »

Hmmm. :eusa-think:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I use old tires for a back stop and a Danny Miller arrow puller
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yes, penetration is a problem. I only shoot to 20 if I am sighting in a scope. Most of the shooting is from 40 to 60 yards. Following Danny Miller's advice, I bought a Morell Double Duty field point target and it works very well at 20 yards.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Blob Targets if you can get one.,
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

Image[

Problem solved. I use a scrap 3 gallon bucket and fill with layered discarded clothing using mainly JEANS and Scrap CANVAS in the top half.

Then cut the center of the lid off and reposition with some heavy plastic material between the lid and jeans.
(remove buttons and zippers).

Next, bend a scrap steel or aluminum to fabricate a handle and stand using two nuts and bolts to attach.

Using field points I get 5" - 6" penetration with a 450 gr arrow going 450 FPS.. Easy peasy two finger arrow removal .

Next to zero cost and lasts a long long time if stored out of the elements.

Aim small miss small :angel:

This target is highly portable, doesn't take up much space and lightweight.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Post by Normous »

For the backyard I use a larger version strung up on a home made stand from discarded wood fencing held with rope for a bit of "give" or energy absorption.
Again, rags, jeans and scrap canvas layered in a heavy duty coffee bean sack. I found a box of duty coffee bean sacks at my local Surplus store
5 bags for $2.99 .
The arrow stuck in target was 400 gr at 500 fps.
Note: steel background for safety.
A roof keeps rain and UV off this target for longevity. Protecting any outdoor target is very important.

Matrix 355
Boo Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

My 400 has the same problem
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:20 pm
For the backyard I use a larger version strung up on a home made stand from discarded wood fencing held with rope for a bit of "give" or energy absorption.
Again, rags, jeans and scrap canvas layered in a heavy duty coffee bean sack. I found a box of duty coffee bean sacks at my local Surplus store
5 bags for $2.99 .
A roof keeps rain and UV off this target for longevity. Protecting any outdoor target is very important.

May I have your attention please...
This folks is the Canadian version of a Texas Redneck!! :thumbup:
And I mean that in the most sincere manner Little Brother!! :lol:

Norm you ARE resourceful!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thanks Tex, I try to utilize all my recourses when possible with unused items laying around looking lonely.

Mostly every household has surplus clothing cluttering up some household space that could turn into a zero cost stop everything field tip target.

To improvise I would cut 2 gallons off a 5 gallon pail and layer inside with old clothing on hand. When full I would use duct tape to criss cross pattern to keep everything tight inside. Then tape once or twice around the outside to hold all together and look good doing it.
If the duct tape top shooting layer wore out just replace with more duct tape and keep shooting.

Never one did an arrow ever go through and the best part was 2 finger arrow removal.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:07 pm
Normous wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:20 pm
5 bags for $2.99 .

May I have your attention please...
This folks is the Canadian version of a Texas Redneck!! :thumbup:
And I mean that in the most sincere manner Little Brother!! :lol:

Norm you ARE resourceful!! :thumbup:
I get the feeling Mrs. Norm don't just find him handsome...she also finds him handy!😀

I'm going to have to get to building one of these targets. My family outgrows clothes so fast it ain't even funny. It would also be a good use for my Pre-pandemic pants which are 2 sizes to small now!
Take care everyone
Hatchet
Normous

Post by Normous »

Alternatively , one can buy Rag Bag covers from Third Hand Archery owned by Jim Litmir a man that I have met several times in the Archery Industry.

https://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=9

In addition to old clothing , ( I think jeans are best ) look for canvas awning scraps with makes excellent backstop material when layered.

In my neighborhood I was the first guy to ask if I could rip down an old canvas awning soon to be replaced. Saved the older fellow some time and a trip to the local waste station and his $10.00 fee.

Don't laugh but our old socks and undies end up in in my targets, nothing goes to waste! See photo. Those are " hers " I might add, She wears the purdy ones :mrgreen:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:24 am
Alternatively , one can buy Rag Bag covers from Third Hand Archery owned by Jim Litmir a man that I have met several times in the Archery Industry.

In addition to old clothing , ( I think jeans are best ) look for canvas awning scraps with makes excellent backstop material when layered.

In my neighborhood I was the first guy to ask if I could rip down an old canvas awning soon to be replaced. Saved the older fellow some time and a trip to the local waste station and his $10.00 fee.

Don't laugh but our old socks and undies end up in in my targets, nothing goes to waste! See photo. Those are " hers " I might add, She wears the purdy ones :mrgreen:
I just heard Patti Gasp from over 450 Km away :clap: :lol: :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

janesy wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:09 am
Normous wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:24 am

I just heard Patti Gasp from over 450 Km away :clap: :lol: :lol:
🤣😂🤣😂
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!