Plots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ridger

Plots

Post by Ridger »

Hi folks

Must be the longer evenings that have me thinking about next season already!

Anyone have experience with bedding/screening crops using no till methods? I tried my first plot last year using Jeff Sturgis's method, and it turned out awesome.

Going to try something different with thinner food plots and breaking up with screening/bedding crops in between. I don't have access to heavy equipment and my local guy says sudangrass is a waste unless it's drilled.

Anyone have experience with a no till bedding/screening plot? Something like switch grass, sudangrass, etc is what I was thinking.

Thanks!
OhioXBowhunter

Re: Plots

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I tried Domain Incognito last year it didn’t work very well going to try something different this year I personally have not had any luck with any of Domains products going to try some other stuff this year. Good luck
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I don't know if you guys watch any of these videos, but ya might want to give them a look. :thumbup:
It's a pretty insightful series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ro3pK926fc
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

I hate no till planting… on the land I can look, no till equals no arrowheads… :thumbdown:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

I’ve grown a Hybred of sudangrass. It grows to 7’ and is excellent screening while it stands. The problem I had was that a good snow fall flattens it. I cultivated, spread the seeds and cultipacked the seeds in and that’s all. I only use screening plants to stop deer in my food plot from being seen from the road. Because the sudangrass flattened with snow, I now plant corn. I plant beans, oats, forage radishes and forage kale which all gets eaten down. This year I’ll be adding canola.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flinthead wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:37 am
I hate no till planting… on the land I can look, no till equals no arrowheads… :thumbdown:
You're just busy looking for "points"!! :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:04 am
I’ve grown a Hybred of sudangrass. It grows to 7’ and is excellent screening while it stands. The problem I had was that a good snow fall flattens it. I cultivated, spread the seeds and cultipacked the seeds in and that’s all. I only use screening plants to stop deer in my food plot from being seen from the road. Because the sudangrass flattened with snow, I now plant corn. I plant beans, oats, forage radishes and forage kale which all gets eaten down. This year I’ll be adding canola.
Boo, it sounds like you have it "going on" as they would say!! :lol:
I admire your dedication to the cause!! :thumbup:
Ridger

Post by Ridger »

Great feedback, thanks all!

I talked to my local seed supplier and he recommended going with a forage pea/oat mix, which will grow to be approx. 5 ft tall and will provide a food source at the same time.

After talking with a few buddies, they agreed that food sources will likely draw better than any bedding material, and hopefully the thick field will hold them.

Best part is the no till... just seed, roll, spray whatever is out there and the fast growing legumes should punch through anything.

I did it with brassicas into buckwheat last year and it was amazing how much they took off.
Ridger

Post by Ridger »

Boo wrote:
IThe problem I had was that a good snow fall flattens it.
This unfortunately is the case with most crops. The only grasses that supposedly hold up to snow is the switchgrass and sorghum sudangrass.

My supplier said straight peas will fold over as well from even a driving rain, but when mixed with the oats they hold up fine.

Only one way to find out!
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

I tried some of that “throw n grow” stuff from tractor supply. I even “roughed up” the ground with the tooth bar on my little Kubota…all I could see that grew was some brassica plants (literally 3 of them) but the deer hammered those down to ground level, stalks and all.
I may try some brassica seed only.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Boo

Post by Boo »

Radishes and kale both are eaten by my deer and both germinate easily. After loosening the soil I culitpack the seeds in because they need good contact with soil. I try to time my planting prior to a day or 2 of good rain. I used to buy prepackaged seeds but it's cheaper to buy them at a co-op as an individual seed type.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Ridger wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:45 pm
Hi folks

Must be the longer evenings that have me thinking about next season already!

Anyone have experience with bedding/screening crops using no till methods? I tried my first plot last year using Jeff Sturgis's method, and it turned out awesome.

Going to try something different with thinner food plots and breaking up with screening/bedding crops in between. I don't have access to heavy equipment and my local guy says sudangrass is a waste unless it's drilled.

Anyone have experience with a no till bedding/screening plot? Something like switch grass, sudangrass, etc is what I was thinking.

Thanks!
switch(cave in roc)k is supposed to be excellent. its frost seeded. i dont know all the technicals on growing it but takes a couple of years to get a good crop going from what i have read. wish i had more open ground to give it a try on my 80
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Ridger wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:00 pm
Great feedback, thanks all!

After talking with a few buddies, they agreed that food sources will likely draw better than any bedding material,
that all depends on what is available to them in your area. the deer need to feel secure to use plots. in my area plots are not enough and now i am moving to improving security cover so what few deer are left are more apt to stick around rather than just showing up after dark to chow down
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
REVX
matrix 355
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
don,
egyptian wheat is a great annual screen
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
REVX
matrix 355
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:14 am
Boo wrote:
don,
egyptian wheat is a great annual screen
Does it stand up in the snow? Corn is not cheap so an alternative that doesn't flatten after a snow would be great to find.