O/T "The Day the Angles Cried"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

O/T "The Day the Angles Cried"

Post by AJ01 »

I know this is for hunting stories and pictures and all things related. But I had to post this.
As some of you know, I grew up in a sleepy little town in East Texas. Moved off, went to college and worked for many years in a large city. Then I moved back to a town that I said I'd Never move back to again. :wtf:
The "Boss" and I graduated from this tiny place back in the early 70's. At that time, the population sign read 889 souls. As of today, it's now a thriving metropolis of 1,189. :thumbup:
Not a whole lot has changed in 50 years.

But on March 18th, 1937 @ 3:17pm., it did. The face of New London would never be the same.

I hope you take a moment to watch the video and to read the article. Information on this event is all over Google. It's just no one looks for it.

Below are the links.

After reading and watching do me and you a favor. Tell your kids and grandkids how much you love them.

AJ

https://www.forgottenhistory.me/disaster/jb29e9p6fjfxaydfrcs854kgzomgwi

https://youtu.be/Ie-C3K0zHQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLHguIySVhY&t=0s

https://youtu.be/WOn6p-B9v2o

https://youtu.be/RbGY7WGA0BI

Hope these are the correct links. :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Re: O/T "The Day the Angles Cried"

Post by xcaliber »

What a tragedy. I have never heard this story, but will share it to my family & friends.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:00 pm
What a tragedy. I have never heard this story, but will share it to my family & friends.
Thanks Dan! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow quite a disaster , just horrible .
I am sure that is something a town never gets over.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
grouse

Post by grouse »

What a catastrophe! I always have a book that I'm reading and I have only read non-fiction for years. I have never come across this horrible event. It does appear that the world learned something from this and made some changes that probably prevented other disasters.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

grouse wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:01 am
What a catastrophe! I always have a book that I'm reading and I have only read non-fiction for years. I have never come across this horrible event. It does appear that the world learned something from this and made some changes that probably prevented other disasters.
Grouse there is a pretty well written book about this called "Gone at 3:17".
I knew Bill Thompson, and he NEVER got over it! :(
grouse

Post by grouse »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:06 am
grouse wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:01 am
Grouse there is a pretty well written book about this called "Gone at 3:17".
I knew Bill Thompson, and he NEVER got over it! :(
Thank you AJ

I just finished reading Chernow's Washington biography (800+ pages of actual content with small print) and started "Facing the Mountain" which is about Japanese American soldiers and internees in WWII. "Gone at 3:17" is now on my list and I'll get to it before long. It sounds like my kind of book.
axiom
350 SE
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Wow just read the article .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Yes sir, it was a horrific tragedy. To think that over 300 students and teachers could die in a school explosion in our country. All because someone wanted to save a few dollars at one of the richest school districts anywhere. The 1st school district in Texas to have a lighted football field. 20 plus oilwells on the school grounds. More money then they knew what to do with!
What a terrible, terrible, terrible loss of life. The worst school disaster in the World! EVER!
The good in all of this, it's the reason you can now smell natural gas.

People in our town never talked about the explosion. Too many hurtful memories, I guess. It wiped out a generation of people. It took 50 years for people to open their mouths about this event. March 18th will always be remembered in New London, Texas. The 40-foot-tall granite monument that stands in the middle of Highway 42 in front of the school is a constant reminder. :(

Cherish your children!! :angel: