April Ice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

April Ice

Post by Species8472 »

Just back from a a winter camping slash ice fishing trip by snowmobile on Abitibi. Last time i fished this lake was almost 40 years ago at the age of 17 and never in the winter so i was kinda going in blind where access was concerned. Left home at 1100 am on Friday (April 01) and headed to the cottage to pick up all my gear. Arrived at about 230 pm and had the trailer loaded by about 330 pm.

From there i drove to Matheson and spent the night in a hotel to head out first thing in the morning. The road into the trail head ended up being more or less plowed to about 10 km from the lake (or 6 km if you take the sketchy route). The road in - snow was about 3 to 4 feet in the bush and banks on the road were about 6 or 7 feet:

The trailhead:

Trail quickly narrows to this:

There were two options at the trailhead. First is a longer wider trail that most people use (10 km). Second is a shorter less traveled trail (6 km). I chose the shorter trail first time going in but subsequently used the longer wider trail as the shorter trail had two significant mudholes and a small river crossing. The weather was warm (2 to 5 degrees C) so i opted to not use the hut and because i was closer to the truck than expected i slept in the snowmobile trailer instead of setting up camp on the lake. Typically setup:

The view from the hole:

The first fish i caught was a micro walleye:

Remainder of the walleye were all 13 to 16 inches (kept and ate four of these each day):

Also caught a bazillion mooneyes:

Kept a dozen of them to try. Gonna fry them up tomorrow. Ice was 2 inches of white ice followed by about 6 inches of slush followed by 30 inches of ice for a total hole length of +/- 38 inches. Below that maybe 5 or 6 feet of water - don't really even need a reel as you never have more than 8 or 9 feet of line out. The bite was incredibly light/soft. With my most sensitive light action rod most times i could not feel it at all - my line instead would start moving sideways across the hole. Took some getting used to and even by the end i was maybe connecting about 20% of the time - but that's okay because bites were so frequent that even a 20% hookup meant lots of fish.

Everything went essentially according to plan with no real surprises on this trip other than a sunburned face.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Normous

Re: April Ice

Post by Normous »

The last thing you need is another injury.
Pleased to hear your trip went smoothly and the fishing was welcome.
Nice pictures to capture the moments with us.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Big John

Post by Big John »

Bonus Trip Bud!!!😄
That is Beautiful country! I love the pics😇
Now cant wait to get up to my place for some fish!!

Congrats!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
roly

Post by roly »

Great trip Joe, nice pics.

The first time I fished that lake there was no road in to it. You had to pole your aluminum boats down the ghost river, took hours to get in but was so worth the work. We caught endless walleye, and used small mooneyes to catch big pike.
That was probably 50 years ago or more.