Newbie hoping for some guidance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Re: Newbie hoping for some guidance

Post by AJ01 »

Welcome to the Funny Papers!!

These guys on here have an opinion on EVERYTHING!!! :eusa-doh: :lol: :wink:

So, with all that being said; to me, the BD380 is a sweet rig! Capable of killing anything in North America with the right arrows!! To this old redneck, there is actually no need to "go bigger" than what you already have. Except maybe you wanna go bigger!!! :wink: :lol: :wink:

Most of us fall into that category..." I Want, but Don't really Need!" :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
galamb

Post by galamb »

You still have more then enough for moose with that rig.

The specs on my 340 shooting a 504 grain total weight with 21.6% FOC (if you buy into that) arrow gives me:

101 lbs of KE and 0.669 slug at the (barrel)

Still making 92 lbs of KE and 0.640 slug at 40 yards.

If you believe conventional wisdom 45-55 lbs of KE and about 0.40 Slug is "enough for moose" so my "super slow set-up" is running double the KE and over 50% above the minimum slug.

But as a vendor of firearms when someone asks "do I need a MAGNUM" to hunt whatever, my answer always is "Do you believe you do".

When you have that animal, particularly if it's a "somewhat rare hunt for you" (I only get to hunt moose every 3 or 4 years so it's kinda a big deal, takes two days of travel, much money invested etc) if a moose happens to step out and present a shot opportunity, I will worry about "many things" but my gun/ammo or bow/arrow/broadhead should not come into that equation.

I need to trust those things 1000% and focus on doing my part and not worrying if I'm "under-gunned or under-bow'd".

But then sometimes I tell the other story.

A guy does all his research and decides a nice 270 Win would be "more than enough" for some Deer Hunting and Moose Hunting in Ontario.

He walks into my shop but has an immediate urge to urinate so pops into the public washroom and pulls up to the stall beside one that is occupied.

Not curious at all he unintentionally glances to his left toward the occupied stall.

He finishes up, walks straight to the gun counter and asks to take a look at the flashy 300 Wby in the center case :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Boo

Post by Boo »

galamb wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:54 pm
You still have more then enough for moose with that rig.

The specs on my 340 shooting a 504 grain total weight with 21.6% FOC (if you buy into that) arrow gives me:

101 lbs of KE and 0.669 slug at the (barrel)

Still making 92 lbs of KE and 0.640 slug at 40 yards.

If you believe conventional wisdom 45-55 lbs of KE and about 0.40 Slug is "enough for moose" so my "super slow set-up" is running double the KE and over 50% above the minimum slug.

But as a vendor of firearms when someone asks "do I need a MAGNUM" to hunt whatever, my answer always is "Do you believe you do".

When you have that animal, particularly if it's a "somewhat rare hunt for you" (I only get to hunt moose every 3 or 4 years so it's kinda a big deal, takes two days of travel, much money invested etc) if a moose happens to step out and present a shot opportunity, I will worry about "many things" but my gun/ammo or bow/arrow/broadhead should not come into that equation.

I need to trust those things 1000% and focus on doing my part and not worrying if I'm "under-gunned or under-bow'd".

But then sometimes I tell the other story.

A guy does all his research and decides a nice 270 Win would be "more than enough" for some Deer Hunting and Moose Hunting in Ontario.

He walks into my shop but has an immediate urge to urinate so pops into the public washroom and pulls up to the stall beside one that is occupied.

Not curious at all he unintentionally glances to his left toward the occupied stall.

He finishes up, walks straight to the gun counter and asks to take a look at the flashy 300 Wby in the center case :lol:
Which is why I sold my 440! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes