Testing : Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Testing : Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

Post by Normous »

Done by Todd Editor of Crossbow Magazine.
copy/paste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6lM9Wh7Kqg&t=27s

One tough bugger!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Re: Testing : Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

Post by Carnivorous »

WOW!

I need those for next year's hog hunt!! :)

I bet they would do well on Bear too....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Yeppers if you go watch some of the videos on YouTube about these arrows, you'll change your mind about hunting "Big Uglies" with lesser broadheads.

The thing I was always concerned about when hunting here in Texas was you never know what's going to walk out in front of you! And some of the critters we have running around here will make you somewhat leery at chunking a "deer caliber" broadhead at them. I've pretty much always used a fixed blade when hunting hogs.
But I really like the design of these heads!!

Will I throw my Swhackers in the trash? Nope. :eusa-naughty:
But I do see perhaps a Micro 380 fitted with Norm's "Super Spankers" in my future!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I'm gonna try some of these on a hog just because I can!! :lol: :lol:

I'll just screw these on a of few of the BEE's I have laying around to test them!! :lol: :lol:
I'm saving Norm's arrows until it REALLY counts!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:39 pm

I'm saving Norm's arrows until it REALLY counts!! :thumbup:
Don't worry Bout that, he's got lots and makes the everyday... Fling em! :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Looking forward to using them on moose this year.
galamb

Post by galamb »

For the Canuck's in the group, if you order these directly from Tooth of the Arrow they toss them in the mail for $7.99 shipping.

And these fly more like a fieldpoint then most of my fieldpoints :D
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have some. :roll:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:01 pm
I have some. :roll:
Messing round! I have the !" in both 100, and 125 grain. These are the real deal. I'm still going on my first deer hunt with a SWAT on point! These then deserve a try, and I see real quality built into these heads! :thumbup: The ferule makes a huge hole by itself which is a selling point for me in a crossbow head.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Another recent test on the TOTA 125 gr solid 1 3/16". After being shot through metal plate and into concrete no damage noted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWGEt3_Opdo&t=492s
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

After seeing some of the reviews, I had to pick up a couple packs of the TOTA vented broadheads in 100 grain to give them a test drive. I got a pack of the standard 1" and XL 1-3/16". I have to admit, they look very mean with their compact 4-blade stance. I expected the standard to shoot well given the small cut. Measured with a caliper, the standard version was 0.99" across. The XL was 1.177" across.

I decided to shoot four arrows at 20 yards, then back them out to 40. These shots were with my Micro 380 shooting a 16.5" Spynal Tap w/110gr insert, blazer vanes fletched with the EZ Fletch Bolt and 28.1 grain Lumenok equivalent nock for a total weight just under 410 grain. All cocking was done with a Charger crank. Shots were fired from a bench with shooting bags front and rear.

Each round I sent four arrows downrange.
1) Field tip
2) Tooth of the Arrow vented standard
3) Tooth of the Arrow XL vented
4) Truglo Titanium X 4-blade mechanical
At 20 yards, the TOTA standard size flew like I expected it to. Excellent. The XL was the farthest off, but all shots had acceptable accuracy. I do have to say that the wind wasn't exactly calm. It was light and swirling so between the minor wind and the triggerman, I was just hoping for the best.

Now back to 40 yards.
While I was hoping for the best, I hate to say that I wasn't surprised. I ended up shooting three rounds at 40 yards, and all three looked much like the above +/-1". The Truglo Ti-X hit with the field point with scary regularity. While the above photo doesn't show it, the standard version did shoot closer to my field tips than the XL. Both shot low left, but the XL was generally an inch or so farther left.

With my setup, the TOTA heads do NOT fly like field tips. At 20 yards things are great but they start to drift at longer distances. I probably should have included a Wasp Drone in the mix to see how they fared against a similar sized (to the standard) fixed head. For those considering using them, maybe this info can help with your decision. I'm thinking that having a little more FOC might be just what the doctor ordered to get these to fly with field tips. If you're shooting arrows similar to mine, maybe the 125 grain version would be the way to go.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Wyoming1

Post by Wyoming1 »

I have been shooting the 1 inch tota broadheads and they shoot great .I'm shooting the same arrows as you are,but I had to spine index mine they came with the spine index Marked wrong.Do you have a way to check the spine?
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I just ordered a spine tester today. I'm looking forward to checking the spine on a boatload of arrows. Especially the ones that have never seemed to fly right.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:33 pm
I just ordered a spine tester today. I'm looking forward to checking the spine on a boatload of arrows. Especially the ones that have never seemed to fly right.
I was gonna ask if you tried each vane in the rail (trying out different spine locations). That might let them drop right in with the FP. With both flying low left I'd say spine indexing might fix ya
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Another idea is to sight in at 40 yards with the broad heads and who cares about the field points .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.