Mineral licks. Do you or Don't you?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Mineral licks. Do you or Don't you?

Post by AJ01 »

Okay, I've been asked about mineral licks or mineral sites by several folks on this forum.
I'll try to give you a Redneck's take on this subject.
Why supplement minerals? Is it beneficial? Will it help grow larger racks? :eusa-think:
In my experience, the answers are all "YES". :thumbup:

Bucks use up to 30% of their calcium storage to produce antlers every year. This calcium comes from their bone structure. This in turn, depletes their system, creating a "Catch-22" if you will. Grow bigger horns or maintain my skeletal structures integrity. :eusa-doh:
Momma Does need supplements for their fawn's development. Also, during the time of lactation, minerals are being pulled from their body systems as well. We've all seen those poor Does that look like they ain't ate in 6 months. You can count every rib in them. Not enough nutrition and minerals to maintain body weight during this process of birthing and feeding of fawns.

We started years ago making "Mineral Sites".
We try to locate these near food plots, water holes or bedding areas. This makes them a natural "stopping place" when deer travel.
I know a lot of folks place mineral blocks made for cattle out for deer. These work, just not as well.
We use Dicalcium Phosphate, dried Molasses, Trace Minerals and Salt.
The Trace Minerals, Salt and Molasses are all mixed equal parts. Then the Dicalcium Phosphate is added. If we use 4 pounds of each of the first mentioned, we only use 2 pounds of Dicalcium. You can go to your local feed store and buy all of these in bulk to make up roughly 150 pounds of minerals for around $50 dollars. This will last you at least 2 years or longer depending on how much acreage you hunt and how many sites you make. The Molasses gets their nose interested, but it's the minerals that keep them coming back.

When putting out the site, I like to find an old tree stump that's starting to rot, I clean around the stump a little, breaking up the soil, and then pour the mixture right on top of the stump. The minerals will leech into the stump and ground. Deer will actually eat the wood to get to the minerals.
You'll be amazed at the deer activity at one of these sites.

Now, will this grow BIG Antlers overnight. No! But it will improve your deer in the coming future. Building better Does and Fawns creates better Bucks. We have found out that over 60% of a Bucks genetics comes from the Doe. Make your Girls healthy and happy! :thumbup: It'll improve the quality of your Bucks in the upcoming seasons.

I highly recommend this little investment in your deer herd. You can put these out in February and run them until about August if you want. We run them year round.
You can place a trail camera on these sites and watch your Bucks growth development before your eyes. It's also a great way to inventory your deer population.

I hope this answers some of the questions I have been ask.
I know some of you are probably NOT allowed by law to supplement. :eusa-naughty: Always obey the law! :thumbup:
Just the thoughts of an old rambling Redneck from East Texas.
We use them. And they Work! :thumbup:

Y'all be Safe Out There!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
DuckHunt

Re: Mineral licks. Do you or Don't you?

Post by DuckHunt »

I agree, they work. They are a great camera place to inventory the herd.

Unfortunately, around here they are only allowed on private land. And with CWD in the area, they are prohibited altogether since they don't want deer to congregate.

Where you can, its a solid investment.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

I used Andy's above recipe and made a trip out to my favorite hunting spot yesterday to lay down at "stop here " mineral site along a defined deer trail.

My gut says this will pay off this season and seasons to come.

Patti and I plan to go back out soon and lay down a second mineral/salt site about half mile away .
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

AJ I've been using this safe recipe for about 20 years on the land we hunt, now all our feed stores carry the the Di calium before no one around here had it.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

Question for ya'll ? , I could only find Mono Calcium Phosphate in my neck of the woods instead of Di Calcium Phosphate mostly recommended for deer mineral sites .

The Feed Store owner said both are interchangeable when making a deer mineral lick site. A quick Google ok'd it, can anyone add any additional information?
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Norm, I've personally never used the Mono.

Scientifically it is like this... the main difference between these inorganic feed phosphates is phosphorus content. Monocalcium phosphate is also found in ordinary baking powders. :wtf:
The Dicalcium contains a minimum of around 19% phosphorus and about 28% calcium by volume. (Cattle Feed Grade). :thumbup:

In other words, YOU can ingest Monocalcium Phosphate without much fear of health issues because it is lower in calcium. :wink:
Dicalcium Phosphate in humans can cause symptoms similar to calcium overdose. (ie: Kidney Stones, fatigue, muscle weakness and vomiting!) In other words, don't munch on a spoonful of the stuff! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hester0305 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:09 pm
AJ I've been using this safe recipe for about 20 years on the land we hunt, now all our feed stores carry the the Di calium before no one around here had it.
Yes Sir, I guess about the mid-80's we started with cattle mineral blocks. We'd bust them up with a hammer and throw them around. Deer management has come a long way since then.
Today I made the rounds on 3 different farms replenishing mineral sites. I'll wait until late July or early August to start most of the feeders. (Some feeders run all year!) Right now, we still have plenty of browse in most locations except out west, but by then the HOT Texas weather will have dried up anything green to eat and critters will be hungry. :lol:

Water is another important aspect of Deer Management. If you don't have a "water source" on your property, you don't have a "Stay at Home" deer herd.
I have found that during peak rut times a mature Buck will NOT be more than a few hundred yards from Food, Bedding and Water. People say I never saw a Buck on my place during the day.
He's there, just not where you were. He is where he found all these things in the same location or at least in close proximity to where he calls home!
According to Dr. James Kroll (Dr. Deer), deer feed about 5 times a day every day. So, that big bruiser you want will get up, grab a drink and a bite and look for Ladies. It's in his DNA.
I use to tell my boys, "Ya gotta think like a deer". :lol:

Anyone can put it a small water source pretty easy. Lot's of good videos on YT on that very subject. You'll be surprised at how many animals on your property will use it! And it will help hold those mature Bucks on your piece of dirt! :thumbup:
To this Old Redneck it's well worth the "sweat equity" you put in it! :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Andy, the feed store manager put me on the contact list when Di Cal comes after a long backorder. No big deal.
My deer guests get glorified baking soda for awhile.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

used to have a couple sites on my property and the deer hammered them (WINA 30-06). but michigan outlawed that along with baiting years ago
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
sportsman70003

Post by sportsman70003 »

I tried different products and the only thing that brought in deer and had them coming back a lot was Dynalik..
It’s not cheap but it last about 2-3 months depending on the weather..
Suppressor 400 TD
Dragon Claw Arrows
Ravntek Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

It seems that Himalayan salt is becoming popular.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Yes, best I used was an apple mineral blk. Deer. Ellk, Javelina loved them.

Put out white. Trace, Apple

Apple always gone first !
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Yes. I do and have used mineral licks. Some taste better than others. But they all made my mouth very dry!😂
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I've found the berry scented ones to work very well around here. The smell is powerful enough that I can smell it from quite a distance.
Take care
Hatchet