Vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Vanes

Post by jody5252 »

Earlier this month, I focused on what type of fletching Jig to use... Now, time to decide which type of vanes are best. As I came to realize, there are a lot of differences to consider... Let's start with the Arrow: type, length, diameter, weight - BH: Fixed or Mechanical, and the length and weight of each type. - Long or short Range shooting. Mind boggling indeed. So which vane works best?? 40 yds. is the norm for me. But with the right conditions, out to 50 yds... For my Exocett 200, Flex-Fletch SK3, with 2* offset, on 20" (2219) Easton mags., with 125 gr., fixed heads. Total weight, 485 gr. Yep. She sure is tack-driver. For the Micro 315, Bohning Blazers-2" with 2* offset, on 16.5" (2219) Easton mags., 150 gr., steel inserts, with 100 gr., fixed heads. Total weight 535 gr. Not as accurate as it should be, on the Bench. Prob. should use more helical with the Blazers. I seem to be getting an occasional flyer. I am certain that it is not a bad Arrow. As long as I am dropping Arrows into a 3" and 4" circle, out to 40 yds., offhand, which is not to bad for Hunting... So, let's see what you all have to say about vanes. I am eager to learn more...
Last edited by jody5252 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
xcaliber

Re: Vanes

Post by xcaliber »

I like the several, and for a number of reasons. I use mostly Q2i by Fusion because of the length to use the Bolt jig. They are shield cut, and have a black base on every color which is very tough. They are offered in a variety of heights, and I think they perform great. I also use these in an older version as well. You can watch them fly in dusk / dawn situations very well. Tough as over cooked pork too. https://q2iarchery.com/product/zeon-fusion/
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

For me, Blazers are the easy, most practical vane. They aren't expensive like Silent Knights, they steer extremely well and I think they are the toughest vane available. Silent Knights are functionally the best vanes but are stupid money and do not stand abuse anywhere close to Blazers. Aerovanes are also great for steering but are brittle when cold, are stupid money, need a special or modified clamp and causes so much spin that it isn't friendly to most broadheads. Vanetecs are very good vanes but not quite as durable as Blazers and are more money.
I don't think there is a perfect vane but Blazers are my go to vane. Mileage may vary. :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I like and use the US made Vanetec Swift 3.15" and 2.25" HD and Heavy Duty 2.0 HD series.

Affordably priced, many colors offered , and quieter in flight than Blazers .
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

A little OT, but you may want to try some 2" feathers. I use them a lot. Both Gateway and Trueflight make them. ABout the size of Blazers and steer my fixed blades well. I favor Trueflights over Gateway tough as they seem to be ground more evenly and consistently. I think if you contact them they will even send you some for free to try.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Boo wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:32 am
For me, Blazers are the easy, most practical vane. They aren't expensive like Silent Knights, they steer extremely well and I think they are the toughest vane available. Silent Knights are functionally the best vanes but are stupid money and do not stand abuse anywhere close to Blazers. Aerovanes are also great for steering but are brittle when cold, are stupid money, need a special or modified clamp and causes so much spin that it isn't friendly to most broadheads. Vanetecs are very good vanes but not quite as durable as Blazers and are more money.
I don't think there is a perfect vane but Blazers are my go to vane. Mileage may vary. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the Reply... I like the Blazers. How do you mount yours? Helical, Offset, Also. I assume that you need a special clamp (depending on which Jig that you use) to mount them with a Right HelicaI... I seen where they came out with a newer one called Heat Vane. Very similar to the Blazer, but a bit shorter, and longer. Have you ever tried these?
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:00 pm
A little OT, but you may want to try some 2" feathers. I use them a lot. Both Gateway and Trueflight make them. ABout the size of Blazers and steer my fixed blades well. I favor Trueflights over Gateway tough as they seem to be ground more evenly and consistently. I think if you contact them they will even send you some for free to try.
Ahh yes, Good ol' feathers... There was a time, when I used nothing but Feathers. I have not ever tried them on either of my x-Bows. Trueflights were/are the better Feathers... Thanks for the reply
Boo

Post by Boo »

jody5252 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:17 pm
Boo wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:32 am
Thanks for the Reply... I like the Blazers. How do you mount yours? Helical, Offset, Also. I assume that you need a special clamp (depending on which Jig that you use) to mount them with a Right HelicaI... I seen where they came out with a newer one called Heat Vane. Very similar to the Blazer, but a bit shorter, and longer. Have you ever tried these?
I put my Blazers on for the Excalibur with an Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt because of the amount of helical it puts on. While it isn't perfectly precise and the vanes are sometimes a bit unevenly spaced, it does not interfere with the flight track. For me, it is the way to go if I am using fixed in an Excalibur. I've used Heat vanes but in a Swat X1, not an Excalibur. In the Swat I am using the Heat vane with only 1/2 degree offset. The Swat does not need much steering at all but if using a low profile mechanical in an Excalibur, it will likely work well. The need for rear steering is so low in the Swat that even a Bohning X Vane works well! Heat vanes use Blazer vane material so it is just as tough and sticks just as well.
One things for sure, there is no perfect vane. The Blazers have put up with more abuse than any other vane so I use them if I can.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

jody5252 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:21 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:00 pm
Ahh yes, Good ol' feathers... There was a time, when I used nothing but Feathers. I have not ever tried them on either of my x-Bows. Trueflights were/are the better Feathers... Thanks for the reply
Yep, a feather acts like a feather in the heat or in the cold. They go on easy with the feather glue and an Arizona EZ-Fletch Bolt. I've even just washed a used arrow with some dawn and dried them with a hair dryer and go to go on the next deer. Plus I like the look. Traditional on my uber traditional crossbow. :lol: :lol:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><