Your normal batch size

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Your normal batch size

Post by xcaliber »

Maybe an odd question, but for the last few years I made arrow batches for my crossbows to target practice, then hunt with. Prior to 2019 I would make a half dozen, but then went to just a quiver full, 4 to be precise. I use a 3 arrow quiver now, but still think 4 is a good number. What say you other hunters. If you purchase yours I know half or full dozen would be the number because of lot size, but if you think how many you need per season, what would that number be, and what would you use them for? Multiple game / etc. I'm a whitetail hunter, so that species combined with tags available is my primary concern. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Prmtvbowman22

Re: Your normal batch size

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

I usually keep 6 for practice and use the best 4for hunting. I limit myself to close shots on deer and have more issues with damaged broadheads than broken or lost bolts. I shot 4 deer and a coyote with the same bolt before I lost it on coyote pass through. I may find it with my metal detector. Other than replacing veins they hold up very well.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Personally, hunting arrows don't need to be perfectly matched so I'll make 6 at a time for myself. But for guys who take shooting targets seriously, I think they should do a dozen at a time so they have a good number of the same spine sorted shafts. When I'm running shafts through my Ram tester, you do see a good difference in deflection from one dozen to the next. I guess it comes down to how much precision a person needs.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I make mine a dozen at a time and hope to get up to three seasons out of them. I shoot each of them at 20 yards then number them with the worst performing arrows getting higher numbers. I'll use them up working from best to worst. When I get down to about a quiver full left, its time for another dozen.

Last year I took six shots. The ground around here in the mountains is very rocky. Over half of the shots I fire result in a broken arrow and broadhead, so I'm a happy camper if I can ever reuse either. The farther away the target, the better chance the arrow will survive because it can skip. It's like I'm hunting over concrete. If I shoot anything inside of 25 yards, the arrow is toast from the more direct impact angle.

My brother in Arkansas, on the other hand, took four deer with the same arrow. It just buries in the ground there.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks, I think 1/2 dozen for starters is a good number. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have been lazy last few year just buying factory fletched zombies, l have about 10 practice bolts and my 4 20 inch exo bolts in my catquiver I also have a box of 6 pre shot and accuracy proven bolts to replace any shot at game with the ones in my quiver.
I'm kinda weird l have about 2 dozen new boxes of zombies and executioner shafts....l know I'm a hoarder.
I figure what's the good of all these crossbows without any ammo.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have been lazy last few year just buying factory fletched zombies, l have about 10 practice bolts and my 4 20 inch exo bolts in my catquiver I also have a box of 6 pre shot and accuracy proven bolts to replace any shot at game with the ones in my quiver.
I'm kinda weird l have about 2 dozen new boxes of zombies and executioner shafts....l know I'm a hoarder.
I figure what's the good of all these crossbows without any ammo.plus it's like money in the bank the way this stuff is going up every day.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.