OT: Reintroducing Canada's Long Gun Registry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

OT: Reintroducing Canada's Long Gun Registry

Post by IronNoggin »

You have less than 2 weeks to buy, sell or transfer any "Non-Restricted" guns without requiring explicit permission from the Registrar of Firearms (RCMP).

Bill C-71 Restrictions Start This Month on Buying/Selling ‘Non-Restricted’ Guns

Source: Canada Gun News: Week of 2022 May 02
05 May 2022

TheGunBlog.ca — The Canadian government will start enforcing new restrictions on government-licensed gun owners this month, as the governing Liberal Party continues its political and regulatory attacks against hunters, sport shooters and firearm collectors.

Details

The regulations stem from Bill C-71, a law the Liberals passed in 2019.
The measures take effect on May 18, according to an Orders in Council dated 29 April and published online today.
They apply only to government-licensed firearm users and businesses.
The restrictions include:

“Non-Restricted” Firearm Transfers: It will be a crime for any licensed gun owner to buy, sell or give away any “Non-Restricted” rifle or shotgun without explicit permission for the transfer from the Registrar of Firearms in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program.

It will require contacting the RCMP to request a reference number for the transaction.

It applies even to all licence holders, include a spouse who wants to give a rifle or shotgun to their spouse, or a parent who wants to give a rifle or shotgun to their child.

Gun Store Registry: Gun stores will be required to store the personal details of licensed buyers of “Non-Restricted” rifles and shotguns for 20 years, in a violation of personal privacy.

Other restrictions also kick in, but those are the biggies for most PAL holders and businesses (in my opinion).

How much compliance they will realize, considering the vast majority have never been and currently are not registered, is anyone's guess...

The Legal Take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep3-V2ufx3k
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
DuckHunt

Re: OT: Reintroducing Canada's Long Gun Registry

Post by DuckHunt »

Inch by inch, gradually citizens are turned into subjects. Smells like tyranny.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

They are focused on us, not the real problems with gun crimes involving CRIMINALS.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:43 pm
They are focused on us, not the real problems with gun crimes involving CRIMINALS.
It's easier that way, isn't it?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Nog

If the rules aren't clearer than the news release sets out, they have left a loop hole. It doesn't require approval of the "Registry" for a holder of a PAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence) to borrow a firearm.

Now, before i lend my shotgun, I want a damage deposit. I want full market value, too, in case it's wrecked when it's returned.. The borrower will never own it. He'll just use it forever, and I won't even mind that too much. Or, maybe a 99 year lease would work. I'd still want a damage deposit, though. The lease could be for $1.00 per year.

When the old Registry was imposed upon us, I remember Dave Tomlinson's advice. When you fill in the forms, the serial number is pretty clear. You have to comply there. As far as "Make" is concerned, that's different. You only can safely say "unknown". Browning is not a maker, it's just a label. Weatherby don't make shotguns, even if their name is stamped on the gun. The same for all others. The only safe and truthful entry to make is "unknown". Caliber is also unknown, because the measurement was not defined to be to the lands or the grooves. Besides how many people had proper equipment to measure? A whole lot of guns were registered with everything "unknown" but the serial number. The information entered was garbage, but legally compliant.

Let's hope there will be gaps and loopholes until a new government can have a chance to reverse things.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Freakin’ commies…you All Should NOT COMPLY…BECOME UNGOVERNABLE!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

And of course...

Be a Sheep Dog, NOT a sheep! :eusa-think:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Registry is the first step for confiscation , of course it only effects the honest citizens as the hardened criminals do not buy their firearm's they steel them or buy from black market sources.
The more I know about Trudeau the more I fear for Canada.
Freedom must be armed better than tyranny', says Zelensky

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/676384437794348049/
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

No Creep...

Long Gun Registry 2: The Trudeau Edition

Justin Trudeau repeatedly claimed he would not recreate a “long-gun registry.”

Instead, Trudeau forced gun stores to create it for him through Bill C-71, An Act to amend certain Acts and Regulations in relation to firearms.

That new long gun registry comes into effect on May 18, 2022, via two new Orders in Council. Those OiCs bring sections 5, 7, 9 to 11, subsections 13(12) and (3) and section 14 of Bill C-71 into force.

Until the regulations are published, presumably before May 18th, it’s impossible to know how or even if this harebrained Liberal scheme will work.

Here’s what we know so far.

Criminals Need Not Apply

These regulations apply only to Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) holders.

Drug dealers, gang members and violent criminals, including those under a Firearms Prohibition Order, may still buy, sell, trade and lend their illegal guns without notifying any government agency, including the Registrar of Firearms.

Private Sales, Trades, Gifts and Lending

Both the seller and buyer of a Non-Restricted firearm (rifles and shotguns) must obtain permission from the RCMP Registrar of Firearms before a firearm may transferred.

“The transferee shall provide to the transferor the prescribed information that relates to the transferee’s licence, for the purpose of enabling the transferor to request that the Registrar issue a reference number for the transfer.”

The government has not defined the scope of this “prescribed information.” We know it includes, but is not limited to:

the reference number issued by the RCMP Registrar of Firearms
the day on which the reference number was issued
the transferor’s licence number
the transferee’s licence number
the firearm’s make, model and type and, if any, its serial number

The phrase “information that relates to the transferee’s licence” is open-ended, and until the regulations are made public, we don’t know what additional information will be required.

Retail Firearm Sales

Firearm retailers must create, manage and maintain a gun registry that includes detailed information about licensed buyers of “Non-Restricted” firearms, including the make, model and serial number of the firearm they purchased, as noted above.

Firearm retailers must keep these records for at least 20 years, and the Minister may demand an even longer timeframe.

Section 102 of the Firearms Act gives the Chief Firearms Officer the power to inspect and copy any and every store record at any time, without a warrant.

Section 101 of the Criminal Code makes improper record keeping a crime punishable by five years in prison.

In plain language, Sections 101 and 102 mean this data belongs to the government, not gun stores, and when data about firearms and firearms owners is de facto owned by the government, it’s a gun registry.

The government, via Bill C-71, puts firearm retailers over a barrel and forces them to create, pay for and maintain Justin Trudeau’s new “not a gun registry” long gun registry.

A Connections/Relationship Registry

Bill C-71 creates both a gun registry (one at every firearm retailer, in fact) and a personal connections registry. This is one of its most invasive and sinister elements. The RCMP will know who is in contact with whom to legally buy, sell or transfer firearms, whether the transfer is completed or not.

Over time, the RCMP will know which PAL holders are in contact with one another, allowing them to build a complex relationship grid of PAL holders and the firearms they buy, sell and trade.

Gun Shows

Most gun shows happen on weekends when the Registrar of Firearms is closed. It’s already a problem to get firearms transferred on weekends, and this problem will only get worse under the new regulations.

Will gun owners be able to sell firearms at a gun show after May 18th?
Will the RCMP and/or provincial police be at gun shows to facilitate firearm transfers for buyers and sellers?
If so, will they have the authority to act as Registrar of Firearms at these events?

The answer to these questions is unclear until the regulations are made public, something that the government says will happen “in the coming days.”

Other Unanswered Questions

What are the criteria for the Licence Verification to be approved or denied?
We know all Licence Verifications are entered into a database to track individual firearm owner activity, but who keeps this Licence Verification activity data, for what purpose, and how long will it be retained?
Is Licence Verification data attached to an individual's licence? If so, who can access it?
What is the start-up cost and annual operating cost for the Licence Verification system?
How will this work for business-to-business firearm sales?
Will the RCMP Registrar of Firearms business line provide this number?
Will there be a feature on the business web service to issue the numbers?
Who is authorized to demand this registry information from businesses and under what authority?
How will the government deal with the myriad Privacy Act implications of holding and divulging this data?

Notably, the RCMP’s Bill C-71 page is completely silent about the coming into force of these sections of Bill C-71.

https://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation_v2?permalink_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fconta.cc%2F3KVFj2I&image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Ff1ccb3fd501%2F0f151116-b935-4c09-b10f-55be07621896.jpg&fbclid=IwAR2Syvi-gwpgrFZy46kF1WrJ4wVxeO-Iz5hqEW5Q3FgghOXm59vAPIvxd-I
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

It is indeed a sad day when the Government does not trust it's on Citizenry. :(

Many years ago, I stopped buying firearms from retailers or dealers. If you're the Feds looking for a Form 4473 with my name on it, you'll have to go back at least 25 years to find one.
Not that I don't ABIDE by the law, I just don't play by their rules. :wink:

Matt, I feel for y'all!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Yep, looks like no new guns for me... Brand new anyway.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The govt isnt stupid, I mean, justing turdwater is dumb as a brick but the real powers that be that pulls the string are not. In half a dozen posts its been decided not to buy from the brick and motor stores that we should be supporting since they are just one of us, so small business will hurt or worse go out of business: Only buy used, so used prices will go up to the point of being unaffordable. Essentially hold on to what ya got but the ban list will keep growing until your collection is dwindled down to naught, or you kept it but its on the ban list so you cant use it

The real answer: Each individual and business non compliance. Not easy and near impossible and your govt is banking on it.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I'll still buy new from my local gunshop if I need a new gun. :) Hoping the PC"s get a majority in the next election and dump this BS like the old old registry... :mrgreen:
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

one shot scott wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:38 pm
The govt isnt stupid, I mean, justing turdwater is dumb as a brick but the real powers that be that pulls the string are not. In half a dozen posts its been decided not to buy from the brick and motor stores that we should be supporting since they are just one of us, so small business will hurt or worse go out of business: Only buy used, so used prices will go up to the point of being unaffordable. Essentially hold on to what ya got but the ban list will keep growing until your collection is dwindled down to naught, or you kept it but its on the ban list so you cant use it

The real answer: Each individual and business non compliance. Not easy and near impossible and your govt is banking on it.
You are right.

I am the definition of brick and mortar, literally.

But brick and mortar is already dead. Want proof? You know all those Canada flags that have been rolling around on the rigs and pickup trucks for the past few months. They were all bought from Amazon. Save Canada, save local businesses!!! Or Besos whichever is cheaper.
Brick and Mortar is a mentality now, not a physical thing. We don't even think about it anymore, that coffin is already closed.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Consumerism is changing that’s for sure. I’m guilty of it but I try to buy local. I still have at least 2 “small” hunting and fishing stores within a ten minute drive for me. They go under it cabelas for me, and they are fazing out of firearms. Amazon, eBay, kijiji are all anti firearm and kijiji you can’t even post a bow of any kind.

It’s part of the plan.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-