First day out with the Mag 340

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chris W.

First day out with the Mag 340

Post by Chris W. »

I'm not new to archery but new to crossbows. Started shooting a compound in "96. Picked up a recurve in '98 and spent 15 years hunting and shooting competition with that. Hung up the recurve and walked away from it all in 2013 due to life just getting hectic. Flash forward to the present. My best friend and hunting buddy has been riding me hard this past year to get back into hunting the archery season with him. Well, I finally broke and purchased my first crossbow so I can hunt the archery season here in Tennessee after what will be a nine year hiatus. Ended up purchasing a Micro Mag 340 after several days of online research. This afternoon was the first outing with the new crossbow. I had it setup and shooting spot on pretty quick. The supplied Quill arrows are a bit lighter than what I'm wanting to shoot so I picked up a few heavier arrows that come in right around 450 gr total weight with 150 gr points. Overall, I'm impressed......good overall weight, good balance, good speed and more quiet that what I expected. A little more time behind the trigger and I believe it's going to be a great Fall archery season. Any recommendations on arrow setups with lighted nocks? Gonna started working up a hunting setup soon. Thanks.
xcaliber

Re: First day out with the Mag 340

Post by xcaliber »

Sweet! These Excalibur's are made for hunting, and accuracy. Good luck hunting! I try everything that strikes my fancy. Don't overthink what you have over what someone else thinks you need. I would recommend a couple good Flemish Strings, and spare arrows matching what you like. I like heavy arrows. Shoot the broadheads you intend to hunt with before hunting, and don't shoot at the same dot twice unless you arrow hunting. :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the addiction!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Nice bow, my Axe(mag340) is my favorite crossbow I've ever shot.

Welcome
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
artifact

Post by artifact »

Another welcome to the forum, there's a wealth of information on here and guys who are willing to try to help out.
I would also say to get a couple of Flemish strings and make sure to keep the brace height at the recommended setting.
I don't know if it came with a stringing aid, if it didn't get one, you will need it eventually to either adjust brace height or change strings.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Welcome to the Forum Chris! :thumbup:

Lots of folks on here with a lot of experience. Like others have said, don't "over think it"!
A couple have mentioned a "stringing aid"...yeppers, ya gotta have one.
A good custom string will work wonders. Try hunting down my favorite string guy, Boo. He's on the Forum. Don can fix you up!

If you have the uncontrollable urge for custom arrows, lots of folks can give their opinions on those. I am NOT a fan of the "standard Quill arrow". Too light, (my personal opinion). Try something in the total weight area of 400-425 grain with your favorite broadhead.

If ya wanna start a long thread, just post an article about what you think is the perfect broadhead. 200 people will respond! :lol: :lol:
Just shoot the one that YOU trust!! :mrgreen:
I too shot a vertical for years. bad shoulders drew me to the world of the crossbow! I looked at a LOT of different designs before buying my Excalibur.
I couldn't be more pleased. I think you'll be that way too!

Once more, Welcome to the Forum!! And congrats on the new bow!

The Grumpy Old Redneck from Deep in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Chris W.

Post by Chris W. »

Appreciate the welcome. I did enough research before hand that I ordered a stringing aid at the time I ordered the crossbow. Glad I did. The brace height needed some tweaking right out of the box, so it's already come in handy. Coming from a competitive recurve shooting background, things like extra/custom strings are just a given for the tackle box. I'll be picking up spares in the very near future. Shot a bit more this morning and I'm liking this bow more with every trigger pull.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Welcome to the forum, great choice on a first crossbow.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360