Happy Memorial Day

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Happy Memorial Day

Post by xcaliber »

I know this day has meaning to everyone and in different ways. I hope you remember to honor those that have paid the ultimate price for our freedoms we enjoy each day!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Re: Happy Memorial Day

Post by AJ01 »

Many of us on this Forum have loved ones who have served the USA. Some unfortunately have paid the "Ultimate Price". Let us NOT forget the cost of Freedom!

"Old Glory" waves not because of the winds that blow, but upon the last dying breaths of those who fought for Her!!

Honor those who gave all. Pray for those families who have buried their Brave, so that you may be Free!!

Greater love hath no man, than he who lay down his life for a friend...

Just an Old Rambling Redneck from Deep within the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Does anyone know when the date for Memorial Day was assigned? Why was this date chosen?

Countries with a British tradition recognize 11 November, and that date was the date the Armistice took effect, ending WWI.

The purpose of these separate days is the same, I think. Since WWI was a shared experience with USA and Britain, one might have thought the same date could have worked for both?

It's the Remembrance that counts, not the date.

"Lest we forget".
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Actually, "Decoration Day" started May 5th, 1868. It was the brainchild of Major General John A. Logan.
The date was picked because it was believed most of the flowers would be in full bloom during this time.

The first National Decoration Day was held May 30, 1868, at Arlington National Cemetery. 5,000 participants placed flowers on over 20,000 Civil War soldier's graves.

in 1968 the U.S. Government passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act giving Federal employees a 3-day weekend. This went into effect in 1971. Since there were no more Civil War Vets, Decoration Day became known as "Memorial Day" here in the States.

BUT...I too agree Hi5, as "Brothers in Arms" there should be an International Day to honor those who gave ALL.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!