Handling bear meat after the hunt.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vpsaline

Handling bear meat after the hunt.

Post by vpsaline »

So my slight research on the topic leads me to believe that handing bear meat after the hunt is very different from handing a deer carcass. Am I right to understand that the bear must get it's hide removed ASAP and iced down because of the seasonal temperatures and because of bear's anatomy with which consists of thick blubber? Very different from a deer carcass. Also, the icing down procedure is only for 48 hours before it is butchered, which also differs greatly from deer which can age in a fridge for 10+ days...!? The bear meat ages way less overall then when dealing with a deer?
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
Carnivorous

Re: Handling bear meat after the hunt.

Post by Carnivorous »

In my experience it all depends on the air temp.

When I got my bear this spring it was 80 degrees.

Immediately after the kill I gutted it and skinned it and Immediately iced it down. Meat was perfect.

Now if the air temp is below 40 degrees you could hang it overnight and process the next morning.

Treat bear like pork and you will be fine.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.