Squirrel hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Squirrel hunting

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I set up A Ruger 10/22 for squirrel hunting and was just wondering if you prefer 22lr. in hollow points or lead round nose? Right now I'm zeroed in at 50 yards using hollow points. I've used my turkey gun for years to hunt them and using a 22lr for the first time.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Toyotun04

Re: Squirrel hunting

Post by Toyotun04 »

I love squirrel hunting with .22 lr. I mainly shoot cci mini mag hollow points. They seem to shoot really good and do a great job on squirrels. I prefer a head shot, but get the occasional shoulder shot. Either way kills them just the same.
Excalibur micro suppresser 400td, 16.5 inch zombie slayers, slik trik 150 gr. crossbow broadheads
grouse

Post by grouse »

I've done a lot of squirrel hunting with a 22. I have mostly used solid point long rifles because I thought hollow points would tear meat up. Maybe I was wrong, but the solid points do the job. I usually shoot a Remington pump and I've used shorts and longs as well as LRs, all of whatever brand is available. They all work fine if you make a good hit.
axiom
350 SE
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

:thumbup: Me two
grouse wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:58 pm
I've done a lot of squirrel hunting with a 22. I have mostly used solid point long rifles because I thought hollow points would tear meat up. Maybe I was wrong, but the solid points do the job. I usually shoot a Remington pump and I've used shorts and longs as well as LRs, all of whatever brand is available. They all work fine if you make a good hit.
:thumbup: Me 2. Are you sure we ain't related :eusa-think:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
grouse

Post by grouse »

papabear1 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:10 pm
:thumbup: Me two
grouse wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:58 pm
:thumbup: Me 2. Are you sure we ain't related :eusa-think:

Dave
Maybe we need a DNA test
axiom
350 SE
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

In Arkansas growing up, squirrel season was a big deal because it was the kickoff of hunting season. Everybody went. Today, hardly anybody does. But there are still some of us old timers that are carrying the load and still perfecting the skill.

In Virginia where I deer hunt, the limit is six.

In Arkansas, the limit used to be eight, but years ago they changed it to twelve. Bagging twelve with a .22LR is a challenge.

My younger brother has evolved into quite the squirrel whisperer. In the fall, he routinely texts me pictures like one of those above with his Ruger M77 .22LR lined up with his dozen squirrels with a timestamp before 8:15am. He's deadly with it and has forty years of experience in the woods. So when I come down to enjoy a week of squirrel hunting a little competition occurs. Clear room in everyone's freezers. :lol:
For the record, a five gallon bucket holds roughly 25 squirrels. If anyone else goes with us, we'll need another bucket.

A Ruger 10/22 makes a great squirrel platform when topped with a decent scope. Some shoot better than others. The rifle version is generally better shooting than the carbine. No matter which rifle you use, you may have to try multiple types of ammo to find what it really likes. My brother and I are sold on the Aguila Super Extra .40gr solid nose. It shoots great in almost any gun and is very consistent. The rifle above is a Savage A22 22LR, but I've also got a Savage Mark-II Minimalist 22LR, a Savage A17 in 17Mach2 and a Ruger 10/22 rifle. A hollow point may certainly cause more damage, but a well placed solid nose will do the trick just fine. Shoot them both and use whatever is most accurate in your gun.

Unfortunately, now that I hunt in Virginia I find myself not getting to squirrel hunt as much because the early deer season comes in at the same time and I'd much rather be up the tree with an Excalibur. I just bring a couple small game heads in case I get the itch. :thumbup:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Awesome hunting photos DH, you guys got it down pat.

My two cents as also noted above , shoot the 22 ammo brand that your gun is most accurate with.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Robinsons Rebel

I do feel myself that more people should hunt squirrels. Especially youth or first-time hunters. So much can be learned hunting them. I think having good woodsman ship is a dying art. Love deer hunting but hunting these tree rats is rewarding in its own right.
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have been hunting Squirrels with a 10/22 for over 40 years and I have shot CCI mini mag solid points the whole time.
I never have a need for a hollow point.
I also have a few vintage arms that I shoot standard velocity our subsonic ammo out of and the slower ammo works just fine also in a solid.
You can shoot the HP ammo if you like but it is over kill if you ask me.
I zero at 25 for Squirrels.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/XrshTr9B]Image
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/zbrchTrM]Image
I enjoy using my remington improved model 6 rolling block for squirrel its more rewarding to get one with this awsome oldie.
In pa we can't use an autoloader anyway .l have old Winchester bolt action from the 50s that was actually my mom's that is scoped and still very accurate .
I prefer regular velocity hollow points but don't really think round or hollow points is an issue. There's not much meat where the ribs are or head so killing one more humanly is really the issue whatever shoots best in your gun.
I have been wacking pigeons at home lately with a 900fps pellet gun .....them little buggers are tough as nails ,it really takes a good hit to drop one before it flys away n dies .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Robinsons Rebel

I guess one reason why I use hollow points, in my reasoning, is if I come across some hogs. Never killed one with a 22 but told just put it behind their ear. Guess I should zero in at 25 yards too.
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I hunt them with my air rifle. It's a lot like bow hunting. More challenging and you gotta get close! Most of my hunting spots are too close to houses for me to feel real comfortable shooting a 22. Especially if they are in a tree.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:58 am
I hunt them with my air rifle. It's a lot like bow hunting. More challenging and you gotta get close! Most of my hunting spots are too close to houses for me to feel real comfortable shooting a 22. Especially if they are in a tree.
I use a .22 caliber air gun! I like the "me vs. them" kinda thing!! :thumbup:

And like Keith said, I shoot most of mine of the patio!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:07 am
[url=https://postimg.cc/zbrchTrM]Image
I enjoy using my remington improved model 6 rolling block for squirrel its more rewarding to get one with this awsome oldie.
In pa we can't use an autoloader anyway .l have old Winchester bolt action from the 50s that was actually my mom's that is scoped and still very accurate .
I prefer regular velocity hollow points but don't really think round or hollow points is an issue. There's not much meat where the ribs are or head so killing one more humanly is really the issue whatever shoots best in your gun.
I have been wacking pigeons at home lately with a 900fps pellet gun .....them little buggers are tough as nails ,it really takes a good hit to drop one before it flys away n dies .
Love that rolling block Remington Joe it is sweet !
You are correct about the ammo as long as it groups tight it will get the job done with a properly placed shot.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.