Well i bit the preverbal bullet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay1972

Well i bit the preverbal bullet

Post by jay1972 »

Hello everyone, Well I bit the bullet so to speak and went out and bought myself a Bulldog 440 I had been contemplating this and thinking over and over again after my last post and all the great comments from everybody here, if it was, I just wanted a shiny new toy or was there practical reasons for me to get it and the answer is a little of both.
Yes my Bulldog 380 is enough for any game I want to hunt here in BC and most likely anywhere in North America but I think I just wanted that extra insurance that when I get that chance to pull the trigger on that once in a life time animal I know that my bow will have the performance I need to humanely harvest that animal.

Yes I know shot placement is paramount, but as I have learned in my life, crap happens and knowing my luck it will happen to me, so that extra punch this bow will provide with the proper arrow setup will just add some wiggle room (Big Bone, maybe quartering too just a little to much jumping the string and moving in a way I didn’t expect)
So now I just have some setup questions that I would like to bounce off some people that have vastly more knowledge then me.

1) I know increasing my weight of my arrows will help with both limb life and quieting the bow currently will be shooting 455 grain total as I just purchased some amazing arrows from Normous , I was also considering since this bow uses the crank just omitting the stirrup and keeping my quiver attached to my pack.
I’ve also read on this forum and other sources that suggest filling the rail with foam ( little iffy about that maybe pink foam insulation strips?)
Considering adding the EX-ACT fit Suppressor and air brakes and cat whiskers. Am I going over board? I do understand that adding these will reduce my speed

2) I want to add a action cam to my bow does anyone have a suggestion? Ive looked at the Shotcam and TACTACAM both are a little out of my reach for now anyone know of a less expensive option?

3) And final question is there anything I missed?

Everybody thanks again for time I really appreciate this group and all the great feed back

Jay
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
Albert Einstein

"Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else."
Leonardo da Vinci
nchunterkw

Re: Well i bit the preverbal bullet

Post by nchunterkw »

Congrats on the 440! That's a BEAST!

My thinking is not to waste energy trying to quiet down a crossbow. IMO you just go from SUPER loud to REALLY loud, so what's the point. Unless that loudness affects your ability to shoot accurately. The sound certainly does not bother the animals. Adding weight to your arrow has the most bang for your buck and it gives you much more momentum which is what gets you more penetration (it's not speed). I think if you add 100gr to your arrow (that'd make you 555gr) you would be very pleased and shoot through about anything. But for moose I'd go even heavier.

I like to lean my crossbow on the stirrup. I use a crank too and thought about taking off the stirrup, but then my arrow would be poking out beyond the limbs and getting dinged and bumped all he time. So I leave it on.

Have fun with the new toy! You might consider buying an extra target :lol:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

I had one for a while and sold it. It was just too rude for me. I could have mitigated that rudeness by using an arrow in the 500 gr + range. The 440 spitting out something in that range is just crazy power!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

your bow has high level energy. you can use that up by shooting light arrows faster. Or, you can shoot heavier arrows as fast as "normal" bows. So, it depends on what you plan to hunt.

If you have a hummingbird season in your area, and that is going to be your target species, go for the flatest trajectory. Go for speed.

If you are a bear, moose, elk, deer, hunter, penetration would be the goal. Go for weight. Sight your bow in for 30 yards, and use the right weight, you can have a kill zone for all those species out to 40 yards.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
venison

Post by venison »

It’s a good choice I bought mine last year shot 3 deer with it 540 grain arrows give you some serious nock down power it calms the bow down..bulldog 440 drops them quick none of the deer went past 25 yds 540 gr arrow gets speeds around 380 FPS Flemish strings.. My total weight up front 316 grains with a 100 grain broad head ..If you want more speed I can shoot 435 grain arrows at 425 FPS with the same bow just turning the dial to 425 on my tac zone scope settings..18 inch black eagle arrows with 3.5 bohing crossbow vanes total weight up front 316 gr with the bohing broad head vanes is better for further distance accuracy is dead on at 80 yards is the furthest i tested them…I do know that the deer definitely feel the difference with a 540 grain arrow 😁 I’m shooting 540 grain arrows out of my 380 matrix getting speeds 335 FPS / my 380 matrix with 435 grain arrow is 360 FPS just putting this on here so people know that 440 loves 540 grain arrows tips them right over 😊
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hi5 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:19 pm

If you have a hummingbird season in your area, and that is going to be your target species, go for the flatest trajectory. Go for speed.
Hahaha! Classic line right there!! :clap:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><