Nikon BDC has great glass

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lituani

Nikon BDC has great glass

Post by lituani »

Preparing for different sort of 2022 hunt...
Employer provided a 12 month opportunity in S.Africa so......I took it! Been here (Pretoria... 45 minutes north of Johannesburg) for 2 months and loving every minute! Already went on bird hunt (borrowed scattergun) and had a blast :D

My air shipment from U.S. finally arrived last week with both my Matrix 380's (primary, which needs a limb replaced, and backup sans scope). Fortunately, I also packed everything needed to reconcile both issues.

My recently purchased backup Matrix 380 didn’t come with a scope. Having heard good things, bought a Nikon Bolt BDC 60 xbow scope (3x32, made in Phillipines) out of curiosity. Finally had a chance to put the Nikon up against a Hawke XB last night at dusk. What a difference! The Nikon clearly outshined the Hawke for brightness & image clarity at very low light by a good margin. Had previously done a side-by-side dusk comparison of the Hawke vs Excal Twilight DLX (both illuminated), and the Hawke was the winner in that sundown competition. Nikon is clearly head of the class between these 3 scopes.

There are two minor downsides with the Nikon;
1-not illuminated
2-no longer produced

The reason I desire illuminated is the black reticle on all scopes disappears against whitetail fur at dusk. The Nikon will give me additional 10-15 minutes of hunting before the illumination would be needed. If Nikon had an illuminated reticle, I would sell all my others.

If you don’t need illumination, find a used Nikon Bolt BDC 60 crossbow scope. You will NOT be disappointed. Looking forward to mounting & sighting-in.
AJ01

Re: Nikon BDC has great glass

Post by AJ01 »

Okay....I'm officially jealous!! :lol:

12 months in South Africa with the opportunity to hunt? Wow!!

And Yes...Nikon makes pretty good glass!! And they don't break the bank!

Good luck with everything! Post pictures! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Nikon is probably best bang for your buck.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:42 am

AJ,…. I can’t help w the 12 months in Africa…, but there is one of those scopes on eBay.😁😁
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:13 am
Nikon is probably best bang for your buck.
The only other crossbow scope that came close, the Redfield. They are a pretty nice scope, and weren’t too many pesos. Then when they discontinued them, they dumped them snd a guy sold them for $59.95 on eBay for 2 years. Great bargain.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:14 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:42 am

AJ,…. I can’t help w the 12 months in Africa…, but there is one of those scopes on eBay.😁😁
Paul it wasn't me looking for a Nikon, I was just commenting on the OP's post. :wink:
BUT...the Nikon's are a good deal if you can find one at a decent price.

And I was sure you'd offer to take me to Africa!! Oh well!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I love my Nikon scopes with the BDC reticle. When coupled with the Spot-On app, they do a pretty good job of matching the ballistics of just about any gun. I have a Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x32, two Buckmaster 4-12x40 and a Prostaff-5 3.5-14x40 all with the BDC. They've all performed excellent without illumination. They are bright enough that I took one nice buck two minutes into shooting hours one morning because I could see enough of his antlers to see he was a shooter. It's a shame that Nikon got out of the rifle scope business.

I have since purchased some Nikon Athlon binoculars and they are of similar glass quality without breaking the bank.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: