Fred bear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Fred bear

Post by longbow joe »

While the topic of Fred bear came up in the gas topic lately l have been dwelling on my Fred bear memories.
I regret throwing away all my old catalogs and stuff from the 80s so much.
Another memory is when l was 12 I used to take my 35 # Blackhawk scorpion semi recurve hunting for woodchuck in the summer (actually at that time l couldn't afford bear bow only a used scorpion) .
I had my Fred bear bushman hat then ...a necessity and don't forget the matching camo shirt...with a bear archery patch hand sewn on by mom...remember patches.???
I killed many a woodchuck with that bow some at up to 40 yards ...no sights either.
I used to buy a dozen factory cedar razorheads for 14 dollars.
I didn't really archery deer hunt for deer until l was about 15 and at age 18 finally killed my first archery deer.
Great memories too ...archery was just so simple made it more fun.
Then in the 80's all the deer hunting vhs tapes came out with new hunting mentaurs ...great times!!! Freaking loved it all!
My baker treestand was a definite key to my success many say they were dangerous but l must say my safety belt saved me a few times but that stand really was a game changer and kept me mobile on any semi straight tree.
Back then climbing treestands were relatively new like saddle hunting now.
Last edited by longbow joe on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Normous

Re: Fred bear

Post by Normous »

This is a very interesting Biography of Fred Bear.
A worthwhile read for anyone interested.
Last edited by Normous on Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

WOW ! you just caused a flood of memories to my head :eusa-think:
I started bow hunting with a bow in 1960, an had a Ben Pierson recurve bow,
i shot easton aluminum arrows, i think they were 2217 ,not sure
and i had Bear razorheads , again not really sure, I killed many
groundhogs with it and a few squirells also, and i can remember shooting
Fluflu arrows at phesant ang got lucky enough to kill a few, didn't kill
a deer untill about 1963 it was a small doe and i was as proud as if i
had killed a 200 inch buck :lol: no sights, no camo, but i did have a
kwikee quiver and brush buttons on it and that was it . :lol:

Thanks for jarring those memories loose
Dave :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I remember the first edition of Real Tree camo coming out, and people were losing their minds! :lol: :lol: :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Yep. And before that if you wanted camo you could choose between standard green woodland, or late season brown woodland. I hope you like woodland.

I bagged nine deer with my first bow over three seasons starting in 1995. It was a Bear Kodiak compound bow with round wheels. The whole bow "package" was $99 at K-Mart. It tossed arrows in the 210-220fps range. Other than carrying the Bear name, for an entry level bow it was nothing special. But nothing special was just what was needed. It was simply a bow, and it got the job done. It wasn't about the bow anyway.

Now that I think of it, no compound I've owned after it killed as many deer as it did. Hmmm. :eusa-think:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Anybody remember "camo clan" they used to sell all kinds of cool camo clothes in mainly bowhunter magazine....I always liked the tiger stripes before the treebark was invented. I remember having the feeling of "PREDITOR " and almost invisible first time out with treebark camo... too bad the ba$$turds smelled so good it might have worked lolollol. Back then we used red fox pee and skunk..cover up scents .uggg
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

In the late 80's Gander Mountain had a pattern out called Tree Ghost, and it was fantastic. Man we're going back kids! Love this stuff from those that remember it! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I remember when "Tiger Stripe Camo" from the jungles of Vietnam were all the rage here in Texas. Man that goes back a few dozen years!! :lol:

And Fred Bear...The "G.O.A.T" for sure!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:44 pm
Anybody remember "camo clan" they used to sell all kinds of cool camo clothes in mainly bowhunter magazine....I always liked the tiger stripes before the treebark was invented. I remember having the feeling of "PREDITOR " and almost invisible first time out with treebark camo... too bad the ba$$turds smelled so good it might have worked lolollol. Back then we used red fox pee and skunk..cover up scents .uggg
I never had bottled scents, i just used ceder limbs , thats all we had that
i iknowed about. and all these days, i never did use cover up scents. :)

Dave :roll:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I've been to the Fred Bear museum in Gainesville FL. Pretty cool place.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

Fred was my hero after Robin hood. I bought a bear takedown in 67 and still shoot it occasionally. Just reread my book of his field notes several weeks ago. Killed my first bow buck with a polar ltd . Would have loved to share a campfire with him and hear his adventures.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:44 pm
Wow. Brings back a lot of great memories. I had the Tiger Stripe, Jacket, Pants, and Face mask. It was good stuff, indeed. I believe that was the mid 80's, when that came out.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:01 pm
In the late 80's Gander Mountain had a pattern out called Tree Ghost, and it was fantastic. Man we're going back kids! Love this stuff from those that remember it! :thumbup:
I Remember this Camo very well, indeed... I was certain that, Deer would never see me now!! :lol: Well. At least it made me more confident, that I was going to get the biggest Buck on the Mountain! :lol: :crazy: Looked good, and blended in very well... Never did get the biggest Buck though. :eh: :oops: :lol:
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm
While the topic of Fred bear came up in the gas topic lately l have been dwelling on my Fred bear memories.
Another memory is when l was 12 I used to take my 35 # Blackhawk scorpion semi recurve hunting for woodchuck in the summer (actually at that time l couldn't afford bear bow only a used scorpion) .
I had my Fred bear bushman hat then ...a necessity and don't forget the matching camo shirt...with a bear archery patch hand sewn on by mom...remember patches.???
I killed many a woodchuck with that bow some at up to 40 yards ...no sights either.
I didn't really archery deer hunt for deer until l was about 15 and at age 18 finally killed my first archery deer.
Then in the 80's all the deer hunting vhs tapes came out with new hunting mentaurs ...great times!!! Freaking loved it all!
My baker treestand was a definite key to my success many say they were dangerous but l must say my safety belt saved me a few times but that stand really was a game changer and kept me mobile on any semi straight tree.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

jody5252 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:49 am
longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm
[/qote]
[/quoteA great man indeed. I was honored to meet him at a Bowhunters festival, in Wellsville, PA. Back in the early 80's. A Day that I will not easily forget...