Vanes will not stick

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Vanes will not stick

Post by jody5252 »

Trying to get 4" Bohning vanes to stay put to a 2219, Bare Shaft. Shafts are lightly sanded, and cleaned. Bohning claims that these Vanes need no prep. (Primer Pen) Should I do it anyway? Even thought about even roughing up the Vane itself... I am using a Last chance Archery Jig, so I know that is not the issue. Set at 2* offset. Would 1* be better? Using Goat Tuff Premium Glue... Any advice please?
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
xcaliber

Re: Vanes will not stick

Post by xcaliber »

Are using fresh glue? Do not press the vanes in place with more pressure than the jig applies to the vanes. I like AAE fast set gel. Easy to use in my opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Dan mentioned it, how old is your glue? Do you store your glue in fridge upside down?

I use primer pen even if the manufacturer says it isn't needed.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Look to see where the glue is not stuck to. Where it isn’t is where the problem is.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Man I struggled with this same issue for so long... New glue, old glue, different glue, clean shafts, used accelerator... Couldn't get it.

Then I finally watched more videos on youtube where guys were doing exactly what I had done, but they were applying really solid pressure for 20 seconds on each vane before letting the jig rest. BINGO! zero issues since. I had only just been letting the jig weight apply the pressure before, that was my issue all along.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
venison

Post by venison »

I just did a dozen arrows with 3.5 bohing vanes clean the grove on them with 99% rubbing alcohol used blue cap crazed glue had zero issues sticking..I did adjust my jig a little for them to lay flat on the shaft ..cleaning the grove with alcohol helps a lot they adhere to the shafts better.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bohning vanes come pre-primed. Unless the bases are handled much getting oils from your hand onto the base, nothing needs to be done. That certainly wasn't the case a long time ago but it is now.
The big question is, where is the glue stuck to when the vane comes off?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I was having issues with the blazers and fletch tight drove me nuts on Aluminum XX75 ,I herd good things about Gorilla supper glue blue top bottle sold at any hardware store and have had no issues any more.
I used Fletch Tight for over 25 years when it was the original formula on Aluminum shafts for my vertical bows , but I gave up on the platinum formula.
Now it is a 90 percent Alcohol or Acetone prep and supper glue for me has been working well with a Arizona EZ Fletch jig.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.