Shot my 1 1/4" VPA Solid 3 Blades This Weekend

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Shot my 1 1/4" VPA Solid 3 Blades This Weekend

Post by nchunterkw »

I was able to get out and sight in one of my bows this weekend. I started dorking around with bare shafts and such to find the dynamic spine and quickly abandoned that idea (again) as it doesn't make much difference for me. I'm using up some older arrows .....16" Zombies, with a 92gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok and a 200gr VPA Solid 3 blade, 1 1/14" wide. About 485gr total wt. I wish these had 110grs up front...but they were built and fly just fine. Shooting them from my 355 Micro and the point is about 1/2" short of sticking out past the stirrup so all good there.

I had 4 arrows and 3 broadheads, so I shot each arrow with each vane in the groove until I had 3 that grouped well inside a 1" bullseye at 20 yards. That is all the tuning you need to do IMO (try each vane down) BUT you need to do it. I then fired my "#3" arrow at 30 and 40 and these BHs just fly great. I'm setup to just touch the bottom of that 1" bull at each distance since deer might move a bit out that far.

Now, if I could just re-serve a string, I could get my other bow (Micro 335) setup with 3 arrows and 200gr VPA single bevels. Arrows are ready to go, same setup as above but these do have 110gr inserts. Puts them at about 503gr. These flew great last year so I'm confident, but I just need to get them dialed up.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
gerald strine

Re: Shot my 1 1/4" VPA Solid 3 Blades This Weekend

Post by gerald strine »

That first batch is ready to go !
I have been getting the itch to shoot but it has been so uncomfortable out side I have been putting it off.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

As short as the arrows are for a Micro, the spine isn't that big of a deal, as you found out. That arrow is short enough to kill most of the "flex". But trying each vane is an excellent idea!! :thumbup:

If someone has a short arrow that is a "flier", I suggest trying what Keith did. Rotate and shoot each vane as a cock vane. Number or mark them as you rotate. You'll probably find out the arrow will fly correctly once you find what position it (the arrow) likes! :lol:

And yeppers, the 110gr brass would be better up front!! IMHO... :D

I'm glad to see ya "tinkering"...I just hope you don't find another "electric fence" too soon!! :lol:
Hope you're healing too!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm
As short as the arrows are for a Micro, the spine isn't that big of a deal, as you found out. That arrow is short enough to kill most of the "flex". But trying each vane is an excellent idea!! :thumbup:

If someone has a short arrow that is a "flier", I suggest trying what Keith did. Rotate and shoot each vane as a cock vane. Number or mark them as you rotate. You'll probably find out the arrow will fly correctly once you find what position it (the arrow) likes! :lol:

And yeppers, the 110gr brass would be better up front!! IMHO... :D

I'm glad to see ya "tinkering"...I just hope you don't find another "electric fence" too soon!! :lol:
Hope you're healing too!!
AJ,
Thanks Bro! Arm is coming along. I get the cast off on the 30th, so in time for deer season.

And I agree. For hunting purposes a 16" ZS is so stiff it almost doesn't matter. There must be a bit of flex though as I can get different impact points just by rotating the arrow. But to be sure....at 20yards I am whining about an arrow being maybe 3/4" off so even then the impact is minimal.

I have always done this kind of tuning....and to make it easy on me...I fletch with 3 different color vanes. Easier to remember which one I just tried etc. Then once I find the one that goes in the rail, I put a big mark on the arrow from vane to nock with a silver Sharpie. It's easier to see that in low light.

And YES....you are gonna like your VPAs once you fly them.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Glad to hear that the wrist is mending!! :thumbup:

Question for ya.
Does the single inflict a bigger wound channel than the double bevel? I've heard some say that the double bevel cuts straight into the game where as the single bevel tends to twist toward the bevel side creating a bigger wound do to this "twisting" that is supposedly does following the bevel.
Any thoughts on that??

I've never shot a single bevel head.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I don't shoot fixed blades but l only recall one sub standard zombie factory fletched bolt that flew a little off out of normal out of many many dozens they are just that good.
I never had a factory fletched one have a vane come off either unless it was hit by another bolt.
I have all the equipment to fletch any bolt or arrow but don't see the need for my personal hunting anymore not worth my time.
I'm sure the fixed blades invite more issues than a non . But still the zombie is still king whatever you shoot on the end of it in my eyes.
Aj l shot grizzly 200 grain both double and single bevel out of my longbow l saw no difference in kill performance both were very sharp in fact the single bevel was actually easier to sharpen for me.l don't like a 2 blade fixed ...not enough blood.
Now I'm going to be a forum jerk and say that no fixed blade is going to drop a deer in as short a distance as a big shwacker or a swat 4 blade .....couldn't resist lolololololol. No flight issues with a swat screw in and play.
No arrow numbering don't matter whatever one l grab they all fly great out of all my bows that stuff is exhausting to me
When they just killed the terrorist on the porch the government used an expandable...not a fixed blade that should tell you something....the government is lazy and dosnt like testing lolol
Last edited by longbow joe on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot a few deer last year with 2 blades. ANd of course every blood trail is different but.............

First was with a Magnus 150gr double bevel. Double lung and she didn't go far, but not too much blood. Actually very little. I was on the ground.
My hunting buddy used the same BH but the one with the bleeder blades. He had more blood but he was also in a tree

I then shot another der with a VPA single bevel that I had crazy sharp. Took out 2 lungs and top of the heart. Arrow was literally covered like it was painted. It hit a tree and from the quick stoppage, there was a 2 1/2" round blood spot on the tree from blood that came off the arrow. The blood trail was good to start but got less but he only went 40yards or so. SO I'd say SB better than DB.

The SBs do leave an S shaped hole as they do continue to rotate through the deer. You will also see it in your target. Seems like that might be harder to close up than a slit like a DB leaves??? Maybe? I think the biggest advantage is that the rotation can split bones and help with penetration should you hit something substantial by mistake. Like a shoulder . Plus the edge is sharper than a double bevel because it's basically 1/2 the angle. A typical 25 degree bevel DB broadhead is 25 degrees on each side from flat. SO the total angle is 50. But a 25 degree SB is 25 from flat cause the other side is flat. Surgeons scalpels are 17 degrees I think, and most are also SB. My VPAs are 37 degrees so the edge is sharp yet tough. Just remember not to bevel the flat side at all when you sharpen them. Just build a burr at the proper angle and then put the other side on something flat to knock that burr off. But don't flip it to knock it off at the same angle. Stay Sharp Guide guy has a video I think.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><