Aghh New Micro 380 Scope Adjustments

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheHermit2

Aghh New Micro 380 Scope Adjustments

Post by TheHermit2 »

I just bought a new Micro 380 Pro with the Overwatch scope and got it all assembled without incident. Took it to the range to get it sighted in. At twenty yards I had to max out both windage and elevation to get it close. With that set up it was dead on at 40 yards but I hate that there is no remaining adjustability and worried that continued shooting like this will eventually damage the scope. Any suggestions? Should I take the scope off and centre the windage and elevation dials and try again?
Boo

Re: Aghh New Micro 380 Scope Adjustments

Post by Boo »

I can't imagine anything except either that your rings are not completely seated in the weaver base. It is easy to do and will cause the scope to have an extreme POI in both elevation and left/right impact. You failed to mention maxed out in which 2 directions.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Rotate rings 180 deg and swap front ring to the back and recheck.

Second , add finger downward pressure on the ring assembly to seat 100% evenly on the base before tightening.

Next, slowly and evenly tighten the upper ring evenly so the gap is equal on both sides.

Also, degrease all your mounting threads and tap holes to prevent fastener creep caused by remaining manufacturing oils when exposed to vibration.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
TheHermit2

Post by TheHermit2 »

I took the scope and rings off the bow and inspected them. I hadn't noticed that the rings had black tape on them? Weird. anyway used GooGone and rubbing alcohol to clean them up and reinstalled them. The scope had left over resin on them from the rings so it got cleaned up too. Next I counted 204 clicks on the elevation and windage rings so counted backward from the stops to center the mechanisms. I'll get back to the range in the next couple days and see how it goes. Will report back. Thanks for the suggestions.
Normous

Post by Normous »

The tape prevents scope marring .
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

I always install the scope ring bases first. It easier to seat them properly.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TheHermit2

Post by TheHermit2 »

Took it to the range today. Its shooting great out to forty yards so I'm happy with that for live game. (elk hunt coming up and I'll be in treestands so all good) However, at 80 Yard it is shooting about 2+ feet low using the Overview scope reticle. I suspect it isn't shooting 380 fps so next time I'll chrono the bolts and adjust the scope based on the actual speed. I think that will solve it. Thanks for the responses, appreciated. :clap:
Al in Mi

Post by Al in Mi »

what arrow setup are you using?
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

TheHermit2 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:22 pm
Took it to the range today. Its shooting great out to forty yards so I'm happy with that for live game. (elk hunt coming up and I'll be in treestands so all good) However, at 80 Yard it is shooting about 2+ feet low using the Overview scope reticle. I suspect it isn't shooting 380 fps so next time I'll chrono the bolts and adjust the scope based on the actual speed. I think that will solve it. Thanks for the responses, appreciated. :clap:
You don't need a chrono to dial in a speed ring scope. Many of us here have been using speed ring scopes since ~2006 and never chrono'd an arrow. The speed ring is only going to get you generally close. If you are hitting low at whatever distance it is you want to be dialed in at, you need to turn the speed dial down, shoot again, and keep doing so until you are right on. But make sure you are also very dead on at 20 yds with the Overwatch scope before doing any of that. Then once you are dead on at further range, let's say 80 yds in your example, go back to 40 yds again and see how it hits. If you are not dead on at 40, what you have is a situation where the spacing in the reticle is not a perfect match for your actual trajectory. So you have to decide which range will be realistic for your hunting and dial your speed ring at a distance that is realistic for you, and check all other distances between 20 and your max. You can also try going a little heavier with your field tips, which will slow your initial speed, but also may change the trajectory curve to more closely match the reticle spacing at the in between distances.

Speed rings and reticles on crossbow scopes aren't like compound bow sight spacing. With those you can adjust each pin for distance independent of each other. Not so with these scopes, where you can adjust the center of the reticle for one distance (in the case of factory excalibur scopes it is 20 yds), and needs to be dialed in exactly and is also completely independent of the speed ring setting. Then you only get to pick one further distance to be dialed in exactly, and hope that the reticle designer matched the spacing well to the trajectory.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
TheHermit2

Post by TheHermit2 »

Thanks! I have a few days in camp before the Sept 1st opener so I can mess with it there. I'm using 125 gr broadheads, 16.5" bolts (.0001 straightness) and they weigh 394 grains.