Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

papabear1

Acorns

Post by papabear1 »

With us having this drought i thought the acorns would be
almost non existent, but i think this is the best year I've
seen in years, the white oaks tree branches are hanging low with the weight
of acorns, so are the red oaks and post oaks, gonna be some fat deer and turkeys.
this year. :clap:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Re: Acorns

Post by AJ01 »

Hardly any acorns here. I guess it was just to dry this summer. Persimmons came on early but dried up and never produced. Squirrels have been cutting Pine cones for about a month now looking for seeds to eat. The drought got a lot of things. Some of the big Oaks around me have been shedding limbs trying to conserve what little water there is for them.

And finally, we get some rain. Just hope it ain't too little too late. At least the ponds have filled back up and the creeks are running. That I am thankful for!! :angel:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

We’re in good shape here with the acorns thankfully. I hunt an oak ridge bordering the north side of a creek that produces results year after year. I think just one deer this fall will be plenty for us, and if I get a second one it’s getting donated.
Good luck folks!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Good Luck Dan!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I haven't looked to see if we have a good acorn crop this year. The deer have mowed the tops off of the soybean plants that are within a couple of rows of the woods. My early season hunting is worse when there is a good acorn crop. My favorite stands are adjacent to the crop fields, and I see fewer deer when they are feeding on acorns (and they love to feed on acorns. The only stand I had in the woods was in a tree that died, and I took it down and set it on the ground where it remains. I might have to find a new tree for it.
axiom
350 SE
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Unlike a lot of places, we've had plenty of rain this year. We had a couple storms that were an overabundance, but most of them have just been good solid 1-2" events. I can't recall going more than a week since spring without a good rain. We may have some great mast this year as a result. While putting up a new hang-on stand on my #1 hunting tree, I found this twig on the ground within bow range.
Very little had dropped on the ground, but if this twig is any indication of what is above, we'll have plenty of food for game. I did notice today that a persimmon tree I pass on the way to work has all of the limbs sagging under the weight of persimmons.

I've noticed that having plenty of food in the woods for game doesn't always equate to seeing more game. When food is everywhere, they don't have to move very far for a meal. Surround the woods with fields that also provide food (corn and soybeans), and I can sit for weeks without seeing anything. Hunting food sources is a good model for success most of the time, but not when it's everywhere. Then you have to adjust to hunting where the deer are.

Given the choice, I prefer when theirs plenty of food available than to have a starving herd.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I've not seen any acorns on the gulf coast. Too dry I suppose. Interestingly, I have seen more squirrels than ever before! Maybe they are moving around and more visible because they have to look further for food? I bet the deer concentrate on food sources and its a good year. Too many acrorns spread them out a lot in our suburban area.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:45 pm
Unlike a lot of places, we've had plenty of rain this year. We had a couple storms that were an overabundance, but most of them have just been good solid 1-2" events. I can't recall going more than a week since spring without a good rain. We may have some great mast this year as a result. While putting up a new hang-on stand on my #1 hunting tree, I found this twig on the ground within bow range.
Very little had dropped on the ground, but if this twig is any indication of what is above, we'll have plenty of food for game. I did notice today that a persimmon tree I pass on the way to work has all of the limbs sagging under the weight of persimmons.

I've noticed that having plenty of food in the woods for game doesn't always equate to seeing more game. When food is everywhere, they don't have to move very far for a meal. Surround the woods with fields that also provide food (corn and soybeans), and I can sit for weeks without seeing anything. Hunting food sources is a good model for success most of the time, but not when it's everywhere. Then you have to adjust to hunting where the deer are.

Given the choice, I prefer when theirs plenty of food available than to have a starving herd.
Here in mo. where i live there are no ag. fields so a good acorn crop is good for the deer,
and i live on the land where i hunt and i keep a close watch on the deer movement and
i have a really good idea where they feed, I made trails for them to use and they do,
now if they just stay to there agenda I'm good to go. :thumbup:

DAVE :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods