Post by papabear1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:51 am
papabear1 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:14 am
grouse wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:14 pm
Some earlier posts mentioned that they aren't fond of waterfowl stating that it tastes like liver. I would agree and add woodcock and dove to that list. I have, however, found a way to prepare these birds that I don't mind.

Cut the birds into serving sized pieces and put into a pot. Get a six pack of your favorite beer (cans or bottles) and pour 4 beers into the pot with the meat, Cover the pot and simmer. After one hour, take the cut up pieces out of the pot and pick the meat off. Give the meat to your dog. Immediately drink the two remaining beers.

This works pretty well.
:clap: :lol: :thumbup:
I have a better recipe…. In Texas we dig a hole, get a fire going and burn down to coals, season birds up the best way you know how snd wrap in foil.Place some sheet iron on coals, then the birds, then more sheet iron, and cover with the soil. Then since it’s low and slow, sit down and drink about an 18 pack, and hope like hell you can forget where you buried those nasty stink in’ things!😂😂😂
:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
papabear1

Re: Deer meat

Post by papabear1 »

I remember 1 time when i was a very young hunter walking along a river in Illinois
i saw a duck (Coot ) and shot it and took it home boy was i proud,
i plucked it all by myself and gutted it and cut off the head, feet and wing tips,
took it in to mom and she started preping it right away, got it all ready and put it in the oven,,,,
about 10 mins. and the whole house stunk like a dead animal, about that time my dad walked in and said what the he @# is that god awful smell
and i told him i shot a duck he said what kind was it, and i showed him and he said where is the head and stuff
where you cleaned it and i showed him,,,,, I never seen my dad laugh so hard in my life By the time we got back in the house my mom had thrown
it out and the old hound dog wouldn,t eat it, he got down and rolled on it ---------------- True story :thumbup:

Dave :eh:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

papabear1 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:15 pm
I remember 1 time when i was a very young hunter walking along a river in Illinois
i plucked it all by myself and gutted it and cut off the head, feet and wing tips,
took it in to mom and she started preping it right away, got it all ready and put it in the oven,,,,
about 10 mins. and the whole house stunk like a dead animal, about that time my dad walked in and said what the he @# is that god awful smell
and i told him i shot a duck he said what kind was it, and i showed him and he said where is the head and stuff
where you cleaned it and i showed him,,,,, I never seen my dad laugh so hard in my life By the time we got back in the house my mom had thrown
it out and the old hound dog wouldn,t eat it, he got down and rolled on it ---------------- True story :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

papabear1 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:15 pm

:wtf: :clap: :lol: :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

One thing I cannot tolerate to smell is someone cooking liver and onions!! Makes me want to hurl. :wtf: :eusa-naughty: :sick:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:30 pm
One thing I cannot tolerate to smell is someone cooking liver and onions!! Makes me want to hurl. :wtf: :eusa-naughty: :sick:
Looking at liver makes me want to barf as well! It looks like something out of the movie Alien! :wtf: I swear it's going to jump off the counter and attach itself to my face! :wtf: include tripe in that same category :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I like calves liver :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Lots a good stuff.
The main common denominator Is some how modifying the taste with some form ot bacon fat or marinade,basically .killing the crappy taste .....you see you just throw a big ribeye steak on a 600 degree grill some pepper on it and sear both sides ...the thing is delicious.
You just cook lobster and shrimp and dip in butter or cocktail sauce no fuss....granted it's not as healthy as deer meat but man it its goooood
I had a ribeye one time the chef put bacon fat mixed with garlic butter and rosemary it was to die for but literally you could die because it was not very healthy lol. Don't need an artery incident.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:11 pm
I like calves liver :thumbup:
Norman....shame on you!! :wtf: :lol:

Nope...can't stand the smell of it cooking much less the thought of it in my mouth! :eusa-snooty: I remember my Dad trying his best to get me to eat it. I finally took a bite, (either that or face the consequences) and the longer I chewed that piece, the BIGGER it got and the NASTIER it tasted! OMG!!! I finally began to gag and headed out the door!! :sick:

No heart, no brains, no tongue, no liver, no internal organs!! Thats's just "Bad Ju-Ju" to this old Redneck!! :eusa-naughty:

I'm with you Boo!! NASTY!!! :thumbup:

And Joe...I'm not much on Seafood. My wife on the other hand will beat you up over it if you get in her way!! :lol:
We usually have a combination Crawfish/Crab and Shrimp boil about twice a year. Not me. I'm not eating fish bait!! :eusa-naughty:
Don't get me wrong. I'll eat my weight in either Catfish, Crappie or White Bass fillets FRIED!!
No bake or broiled fish for me either, nope. I know it's supposed to be healthier, but at my age, I don't care! :mrgreen:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:35 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Looking at liver makes me want to barf as well! It looks like something out of the movie Alien! :wtf: I swear it's going to jump off the counter and attach itself to my face! :wtf: include tripe in that same category :shock:
Chicken liver with onions and baconROCK!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

A whitetail deer is one of the least favorite in my family. We give away a lot of meat to people that ask for it and the State donation program. We all seem to like the backstraps and tenderloins and jerky or sausage made from the deer. Other than that, not so much. My Mom will eat a bear, hog or elk all day long - even a goose - but she won't touch a piece of deer meat. I had a great-uncle that used to say "coyotes eat deer, so deer are dog food".
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Deer meat is a large part of my diet.

The only bad deer meat I had was processed by a so called butcher shop. :(

Now that I process my own the venison I eat is delicious...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:33 pm

Same here. We buy a small amount of pork and maybe 10 lbs of beef a year.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:05 pm
Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:33 pm

Same here. We buy a small amount of pork and maybe 10 lbs of beef a year.
I'm down to 3lbs of steaks. I will be in s venison meat crisis by Oct 01st... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:29 pm
Boo wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:35 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Chicken liver with onions and baconROCK!
Nope!!! Not even with BACON!! :lol: :lol: